Quick Charge Charger Conversion on 2005 GEM

I got it running by connecting the red/green wire from the old Schott Charger to the Black Lead on the Quick Charger and the Green Wire from the Schott Connector to the White lead the Quick Charger(for the Ignition Interlock relay).

The charger is now charging my 6 Deka 31 220ahr batts, using the 7220 charger, to 13.30vdc.

The charger is very fast. My batts had been sitting, draining, for about a week. So it took a couple of charges to bring them back (they initially charged to 13.3v and then dropped overnight to 10v). After the 2nd overnight charge the pack charged to 13.3v and dropped 2 days later to 12.35v.

Hi guys I just received my quick charger today and was wondering if you were able to leave the old schott charger in line or if it has to be removed. Iā€™m thinking if Iā€™m able to leave it in line that my display will still work showing the percentage of my batteries charge is this correct ?

Any input at all as far as where my wiring may go would be greatly appreciated I did have them to install the lockout on my charger which has two wires.

My charger is an SCO 7210 quick charger with the drive lockout installed.

Thanks,
John

I wouldnā€™t think the BDI display would be affected at all by removing the Schott charger. On my 01 E82d, it works fine with the old charger removed and the OB7210 installed.

Al

Thanks for the reply Al, Iā€™m going to attempt to install the new charger after I remove the old Schott charger tomorrow after work.

Thanks,
John

I would like to know too. I have my car running with the main switch turned on but have no 12 volt. No ignition switch, lights, etc. Did you figure this out?

Check the fuses. Possibly bad DC convertor.

I am going to replace my dead Delta Q with a new Quick Charger on my 2005 e2. I am not buying the R4F unit. I am purchasing a Quick Charge unit directly without the R4F super charger lock out option. Unless someone convinces me different.
I read where some GEM owners have placed a normally closed relay into the open control circuit to protect driving off when hooked up to the home 110 v power. Donā€™t want the wife driving off and forget to unplug the GEM from the wall. I donā€™t have a 2005 electrical drawing for this GEM, so if someone has information where to make this relay connections, this would be helpful. Information on what other 2005 GEM Car electrical component that will not function with this charger changeout.

Also, would it be best to leave the old D Q unit in or put the new control in its place. The other option is the new unit under the dash with a optional accessory steering column meter to see battery strength?
Would like to hear about the success with this type of charger replacement in place of the DQ.

Kenā€”

I did read about the newer SCO 7220 Quick Charger with the built in drive lockout installed.

Still have a couple concernsā€¦should I go with the 7210 or 7220 charger? We do live in an area with some large hills, so it may speed up the charging process to go with the 7220. Will the 7220 require me to install a larger breaker than a 20 amp on the house circuit I use to charge only the GEM? . Before I order the new unit, what is the wiring setup for the new Quick Charger?

I have the 7210 unit installed with lockout and am satisfied. I talked to their tech support and unless youā€™re installing a hefty battery pack, the recommended the 7210 as my best solution to avoid ā€œcookingā€ the battery pack when charging. 7210 is a 10 amp unit and the 7220is 20 amps and will boil smaller batteries.

I donā€™t know about wiring because the dealer did the install but I think you pull out the old charger and install the new. I did not go with the remote LED charging display which was a mistake I think.

Al

Thanks for the information you providedā€¦was concerned the 20 amp would be too much, since the original charger delivered 12 amps. I will probably not have any issue to wiring the new unit, but would still would like to confirm the match with a schematic.

Kenā€”

Hey Daniel,
Any chance you found the wires i need to jump together?
Thank you, Dale

I know this post is a year old, but I have 2005 GEM E2, I have given up on the DeltaQ charger and ordered the MB1210x6 6 bank charger from Quick Charge. Is this similar to what you did or do you still have the 72 volt charger. I was told to leave the DeltaQ in place for the battery charge displayā€¦ Should I get the remote display from Quick Chargeā€¦ any other changes necessary?

Get a delta-Q for best battery life. Ok to cut corners if you use cheap batteries. IMO

This little bit of info is quite inaccurate.
Be mindful about where you get advice from.

Donā€™t just criticize, Tell me more.

Ok. Your shoes look spiffy.

I think what he means is you may have taken bad advise. It works much better to ask first.
You have already made up your mind and ordered a charger. Why ask now for advice that you canā€™t take?
We are glad to share our opinions, but we waste so much time fixing things after the fact, we may get grumpy. :kissing_heart:

Oh hey, I just realized there is a good possibility @davellringer and @ellringer are the same guy. I think I am caught up now. What is the purpose of having two IDā€™s here?

Then you probably didnā€™t happen to see the PM I sent about possibly getting a better response if you start your own Topic? From what I see, you have a unique issue here that might need further discussing rather than tacking onto an archive thread.

Do that and I will explain.
There may or may not be less than 350 words, maybe even a few charts, pics, and some jokes in poor taste.

Criticize? NEVER! (well, there was that one time in band campā€¦)
Help? Odds are high.