Available 2001 GEM Charger ASAP

Need a correct charger ASAP so my batteries aren’t ruined. does anyone have a good alternative to the $680+ Zivan it came with? I’d like to find something in the $200-400 range if possible.

1 Like

Good used Zivan NG1’s are like less than half of that…

Are you positive it’s the charger?

Good lord,
Why chase after Y2K tech
and call it good?

First- What are you intending to charge with it?
Do you have thoughts of going to something a bit more exciting soon?

Have a DQ needs to be tested what kind of batteries? 275

rodneyadiehl@aol.com Also Quick charge w/5 programs

Yes I’m positive it’s the charger. I can find only one used Zivan so far and it’s untested so why would I buy it when I’m strapped for the expense already? do you know of good used Zivan’s at half that price? Please let me know.

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

1 Like

Damn, LFP program on it too. If you’re gonna go old school, they don’t get any tougher than a QuickCharge Corp charger. IMO

Where are you looking?
Try looking for a used DQ charger instead.
See if you can find a 912-7254

1 Like

Except I’m not a car guy…I’m a little old lady trying to get my avoid-the-bus wheels back together and what you said is not my language. I don’t know what you mean. Can you be more detailed please? I need to get this thing today and then find someone to install it asap.

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea and I may have my eye on one … except I need more details please. what is a DQ charger and will a model 912-7254 be a 72v 110input 12v output? Will it be an on board charger I can install? I know nothing except I need a Zvan NG1 72v 110 input 12v output onboard charger for GEM 2001 e824. I don’t know enough to recognize an alternate that doesn’t broadcast that info to me. Please tell me more?

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

1 Like

To be honest, This sounds like it might be way over your head.
I think you need a service guy to do any work this involved.
Contact your local shop.

You really don’t. Chargers are for batteries not a specific model car.
Buy any 72v charger and connect it to the batteries.

Like this one.
Tell him what batteries you have. The ones that need water? Removable caps on top?

In fact that is not true, Houseboat guy. An ebike guy convinced me that was so and consequently, 6 months later I have a dead charger and find out the input required was not what my car is programmed for, it didn’t get it and it died. The golf carts have a programmer that the charger needs to be aligned with. I need one of three kinds that is specific for what my green car is designed for… I got one. $736!! The used refurbished one that would have worked was only $20 less!! Now I have a right charger with a warranty that will last likely another 20 years and can be reprogrammed should lithium batteries become desired.

1 Like

If you say so. :roll_eyes:
Who you gonna believe? a guy selling you a $700 charger of the consensus of the Gem car forum.

1 Like

Pffft… Like you know anything about chargers, batteries or electricity…

3 Likes

It sounds like E-bike guy knows his stuff.
I might have to get his number if I get wadded up and confuse inputs and outputs.

2 Likes

Just an FYI, some of the people who have answered you here have a combined knowledge of GEM vehicles summing to over 100 years of experience. Some even were machining parts for GEMs when the original design was lacking and others are putting custom battery packs together AND reprogramming the various battery chargers on the market specifically for the many GEM vehicles on the roads.

Also, DQ is not Dairy Queen but instead it references the Delta-Q brand of chargers. You’ll want to come back if/when the ebike guy’s charger fails you.

1 Like

It did fail me. that is the problem. It was not the right type of charger for my vehicle … according to many experts in other forums, and the Local Dealership/Repair shop which it just came back from to make sure it was the charger and not something else causing the inability to take a charge. the charger was a cheap brand made in china and it was a 72v 35A 220 input chargr … that’s all I know. He promised it would work … done it a thousand times … and it didn’t…just like all the opposing experts and the Dealership had said.

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

huh? SMH…I don’t understand. Are you being facetious? Ebike guy was wrong and the charger is totally dead … plus now it will be a challenge for my son, or a friend to install what should be a basically a plug and play charger made for this GEM… because Ebike guy cut off the connection plugs and wired his wrong charger in … sigh …

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

Well I won’t believe a guy who tends to bully and make fun of someone needing help and understanding!
the guy selling me the $700 charger is not my source of info.
GEM groups (3), The local GEM dealership mechanic and a number of the sellers of other chargers told me what chargers will and won’t work. PLUS … the ebike guy that said what you said about chargers … and I believed … installed a charger that lasted 6 months … to replace the correct charger that was 20 years old!!
You can make fun of that kind of research for an old lady on her own if you want to.
what I asked here was if anyone could suggest a charger that was less expensive and available immediately. No one has done so. AND I have done enough research on this subject - since this is the second charger in 6 months I am needing to buy - to know what DQ is thank you.

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

you are correct… it is over my head. I only know what I need … and I know who to get to install it when I get it.
to be honest… …his has been the most futile forum interaction I’ve ever had! No one apparently even read my original post before they started dishing unhelpful stuff out. the GEM just came back from the local service guy and they cannot get any chargers for my car at this time … even for $1500!
No one here has offered any real help except to suggest I do things I’ve already done (because they couldn’t be bothered to read) or go get something that isn’t available (because they really aren’t working with the same scenario) or that there are alternatives they aren’t going to tell me about (because they are assuming and haven’t looked - but i have!) but are then going to make fun of me if i don’t just believe them cuz they’re in a forum… and no one has even been slightly respectful and most barely polite. I hoped for some expertise here cuz generally that’s what you find in forums but in my 70+ years I have learned that real experts don’t need to be vague or impatient with questions or refuse to be helpful in favor of making fun. I have spoken to at least 6 local experts that are currently working with GEMs like mine daily. find fault if you will . Thanks for nothing guys!

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151