Available 2001 GEM Charger ASAP

The 20 year old design charger is not to current standards so many here have upgraded to Delta-Q chargers and a few others. BUT, because they are not direct replacements for the 20 year old Zivan chargers they not only need programming and setup for your specific battery type/size these new chargers will not fit where the old one was mounted.

And a bunch of the guys here have Zivan chargers collecting dust in their garages but don’t recommend using them because they are old and they can fail and better chargers are available.

Now, THAT’S what I’m talking about Doug! Thank you! an answer that at least starts to point me to something helpful. Even after I told you I bought the damned charger I was trying to avoid buying.

there was a DQ available but the wrong model number. Almost wasted $345 on that (and precious battery life span) hoping it was ok but I got an answer from the seller that cleared that up. I also looked into Schott (not a vodka) charger but good grief those are expensive! I even was hopeful for a minute about a Chi Variable charger … but there was a something off (I learn and let go). My Zivan was good from 2001 to 2021! How bad can they be?

I came here hoping one of you would have an old Zivan laying around to off for cheap. But despite your just saying most of them do … no one offered. Instead a couple of them got haughty with me saying that exactly what you just said about the programming and the 20 year old tech etc, was NOT true and I was foolish to believe some experts I spoke to instead of them! My GEM is not upgraded and she needs no upgraded charger and I was not looking for an upgraded charger. I was looking for a deal or a cast off.

If someone could show me an available and immediately accessible (not dependent on shipping issues currently) charger hat I can depend on working for at least 2 years at a very reduced price i can return this when I get it if the other one is working … but I gotta see more than the ebike guy showed me!!

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

Not helpful?
Rodney knows his stuff. Did you see this offer early on?

I believe I did and asked him what he was meaning. No answer. I may have seen Rodney in some of the groups I frequent… You see, a DQ that needs testing is not for me … and he didn’t even say if it was 72v or anything … and I have no idea what he mans about the quick charge …

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

Sorry, i though he would answer.
I’m sure he meant that he would test it and set it up for you.
A good choice. Delta q chargers are the standard and choice of most new carts.
Quick charge is Rodney’s favorite charger. Its an old tech transformer charger. Heavy expensive but bullet proof.

Believe it or not, these battery chargers are kinda like changing a light bulb, like changing a wall switch or changing a tire. There are so many variables someone needs to know to figure out if what they have will fit YOUR situation. a 2001 GEM is a 72V vehicle but sometimes people change that. Then there are AGM batteries, Gel batteries, flooded acid batteries and then there is capacity ratings for all of those.

Even a Zivan will likely have been upgraded with different setting switch from A-F and one can boil or overheat one battery and another can undercharge another battery.

These guys are providing information for free here… it’s not going to be like walking into a store and talking to someone who is paid to kiss your boots so ya gotta step up and ask questions, not tell someone they are wrong because of what another person told you, etc.

And if someone sold you a spare Zivan they could not tell you it would last 2 years. They are often over 20 years old and just in transit a fuse could come loose or fan could fail and then it’d burn out.
I think there’s even a company who will rebuild them for you if you send it in but they’ve been known to have a 30+ day turn-around, so not ASAP.

Is this for real?

First it was an e-sybian mechanic…
Now it’s SIX dealership experts?

Yet none of the alleged Polaris dealership experts suggested or even mentioned a DeltaQ (DQ) charger?

1 Like

I wish he had said something…I couple have used a better deal.

Sad to say another responder here just wants to find fault and pick a fight. He doesn’t read well, makes comments about me and what he misread or misunderstood and has an attitude about my listening to those that actually discuss this with me instead of him who has told me nothing except I’m wrong.
Thanks for your clarity and straight forwardness, Doug.

Right. These are the things I know, Doug. And I have the info. 2001 e825 just lost the original Zivan NG1. No upgrades. No changes. Straight original. Lead/avoid batteries. I think that was all in the original post.

I don’t expect anyone to kiss my boots and I don’t expect anyone to give a guarantee on an old unit. I simply wouldn’t buy from someone that can’t communicate in a clear, open, helpful way.

If someone like you, now that we have a discussion going on and you are willing to spend a few moments sharing info… Offered me a used Zivan, DQ, or Scott’s charger that you believed was good for a few more years with decent use, at a reasonable low price reflecting it’s age and iffiness and was willing to take it back if it was no good on arrival, I’d buy without a problem. I am not stupid just because car and EV mechanics are not my thing.

Plus…I have not seen any expert advice from anyone here. The closest to it simply laughed at me for believing (the same thing you’ve said twice now) from other forum, group and dealership experts (not “6 GEM Polaris dealerships”) instead of him and another that just said “that’s wrong”. You are the only response I’ve seen that addressed my question, situation, and responded with actually information. And I thank you for that.

Can’t find even one 72v.

Nice model that’s programmable for lithium.
Does not accept returns but has to if it’s dead.
If you weren’t in such a hurry, I could test it for you.

And another:

Your bad experience with the E-bike charger was not bad information. Just a cheap Chinese charger.
If it did fail it was not because it was the wrong charger, unless it was not a lead acid charger, but because it was poor quality.
I stand by my statement that any quality 72v charger will work in any vehicle. It needs to be set up for battery type, agm, gel, wet. Even if not, it will work, but possibly shorten battery life long term.
Need to scroll back to see if you mentioned what batteries you are charging. Much more important than the type of vehicle. IMO

1 Like

@stanleecee I’d suggest you to move on and focus on the things that are going to help you instead of keep talking about what you felt.

My thoughts:

GEM decided to replace Zivans for DeltaQ in 2005 and up cars. They also did a big Upgrade in 2016 but they are still using DeltaQ until now.

There won’t be a plug an play charger for your car (even if you find a Zivan) because the E-bike guy already cut the wiring. So I would look for the new technology (deltaQ)

The MOST important thing about chargers is the algorithm. it has to match with the batteries Otherwise it might Toast them, reduce their life time or not charging them completely.

1 Like

Lead Acid batteries 3 years old. Nothing is upgraded from the original. I did add doors which has nothing to do with running ability!
IF you’re a GEM or EV handyman/mechanic I’m sure it’s quit simply to hook up anything you want to. I was simply looking for a decent deal on a right thing that my son (vw DIYer) could install.
Not only was the charger poor quality but it also required 220 input and didn’t get that … the Cart mecahnic seemed to indicate that was likely the cause of death.

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

(Post deleted due to it not being useful information)

2 Likes

It means I have to test it before I sell it. It’s a 72 volt charger for a gem. I need to Know what battery type to set the proper algorithm (program)

Rodney

I emailed you Rodney … I have L/A batteries. Tel me about both the chargers you mentioned, will you please? thanks!

Stanlee P Cox
stanleepanelle@aol.com

(323) 207-0151

I have a late Quick Charge and a DQ i got in a lot of parts I bought. I have to test them before I can sell them. Been too busy ti get to them maybe this week end.

Rodney 251 269 3182