Charger profile for "Starting Line" batteries? Duracell?

Nephew suggested recovery, but both available are for gel. (Nephew is a Dartmouth grad in electrical engineering, but has no experience with EVs, other than his dad’s Tesla).

When you set it to 32 and decided to take it for a run did you happen to notice what the charger was doing before you unplugged it?
Did it finish it’s cycle?
Did you do a battery check or just look at the SOC which is probably not quite accurate right now.
Load test?
Look for a bum battery?

or- sure
Switch to lithium.
You could just do that.

1 Like

Protip: don’t listen to your nephew

1 Like

Yeah, but he was right. Or we think so so far. He’s a good kid. Works on Lidar systems for self driving cars. Thinks Elon has it all wrong using cameras instead of Lidar. So far, the kid has been right about just about everything…

Yes, @AssyRequired , it was at 94%. It had NOT finished it’s cycle. No, I have not done a load test on the batteries yet. I did just simply check their voltage, each one was 12. That might not mean anything, I understand that. It’s getting an overnight charge right now. We’ll see what it does tomorrow. This has been fun, but Lithium is calling…

Youre funny

Lmfao. .

a 12V Pb battery at 12V of charge is a pretty well depleted 12V battery.

FYI, you really want to use a meter which will give you readings to at least tenths of a volt and most cheap ones will get you to hundredth and even thousands of a volt reading.

The digits on the right of the decimal point matter and same goes for Lithium batteries. See this:

Depends on battery health. What were they after you individually charged them? That’s as good as it gets. I have a 150ah la battery I’m testing. It was at about 9v. Charged it on a smart charger for over 18 hrs. 12.97v but drops back quickly. I plan to connect it for another 12 hrs to see if it will finish.

At the end of a charge cycle you should expect about 13.8 volts or a bit more. This so called “surface charge” will bleed of in a couple of hours and you should read 12.6 volts for a fully charged battery in good condition.

For Flooded batteries getting a little old fully charge until the charger cuts off. Wait 5 minutes and plug the charger in for another cycle. This may bring up a lagging cell/s in older batteries.