Can I switch 9 8volt batteries for 6 12volt’s?

I have a 2008 e6 with the s package…
I need to replace the batteries…
I would like to buy 6…not 9…
Any leads would help…
Thanks

Are you looking to stay with gel or go to lead acid? If your looking to go with LA batteries, I would suggest staying with 8V batteries. You will get significantly more range and the nine 8v batteries are cheaper than six 12v batteries. I bought mine from Sam’s club and and I think they were somewhere between $4-600 less that going with 12v ones. The batteries are sold under Duracell name but are made by deka. I get about 18 miles from mine and I don’t take it below 50% SOC in my 08 elxd.

If you switch from 9-8s to 6-12s I have been told the car rides much different. If The car is set up to 9-8s it has heavier springs to support the weight. When you remove that weight the car bounces a bit. This was told to me from a Gem Mechanic who said that Early E6s had a bad batch of Battery’s and that his company did all the warranty replacment work switching out the bad 9-8s for 6-12s.

One last thing Don’t think of going with Tradidional flooded batterys. Do your self a favor and get sealed or Manit free AGM or Gell.
Or make sure you get a auto water system to keep the battery’s topped off. The battery’s that are under the center seat are impossible to check water level. You will almost certainly run them low if they are flooded lead acid and it only takes 1 time to damage them
If the level go’s low and you charge