Another lithium thread

Good info.
If I switch leads from lead to lithium and plug in charger, should be good to go.
I’ll monitor cell volts and current too.

Charging went well.

Charged to 4v.

Performance equal to lead. Even with extra weight.
Seems regen works better. Really notice it.
Saw some 200 amp readings not seen with weak lead.

5 hard miles down to 3.7. Still good performance, but no restart under 68.3 volts.

Recharge and try more than 18 cells tomorrow.

the 68v is a controller thing . wait tell you get the “lead out” things going to fly . also you only had 4.0v . get them upto 4.2v noticeable performance improvement .

congratulations!

Thanks,
Taking it slow till I learn a little more.
Charging another 12 cells with a 2 amp regulated supply set to 4v per cell.

Probable end up at your 20 cell advice, but have to learn the hard way.

There may be a way to spoof controller into starting on low voltage, but why bother?
If it wasn’t for that, I’m happy with 18 cells.

If I do anything, more power!

One of the packs is 42 cells as built.

One tap and I’m at 21 cells parallel.

Hard to do better than that.
33" long.

Under 3.2v/cell won’t start.

88v max is just over the 86v limit.
4.1 v/cell will still start.

Looking for ways to use cell packs as-is.:wink:

The difference between 18 cells and 20 cells is significant in power. FYI I just ordered one more module (2 more cells) going to 21 cells, higher pay voltage ,lower cell voltage = longer cell life more power more range .

That’s 1/2 my pack. :o About $1200 from the junk yard.:frowning:

Should outlive $1200 in lead!

It well outlive u and I !

From my short study. You are right on the money. 21 cells is the sweet spot for making stock controller happy.

I’ll show you how to raise the initial 86 volt ceiling a few volts if needed.
Doubt it will be an issue for me. I’ll just turn my heater on for a minute.:smiley:

2 more?

Won’t that put you at 22 cells?

your 21p pack well be perfect . the no start @ 68v wont be a problem . your cells have very little power below 3.5 , so your cart well be so sluggish at that point you recharge before you get to the 68v no start . I’ve never had it happen to me in daily driving . now on the charge side , if you do use your dq charger you can pick the 85.5 setting , on 21 cells that is 4.07v/cell . this is EXACTLY were chevy charges them(87%soc) for long life . with that at their high and 3.5v at their low your pack well last forever! this is why I have said this lithium chemistry is PERFECT for our gems. the optimum high and low voltages are right were the controller works .

I was only going to wire in 1 cell for now and bump to 85.5v. but if you can show me how to raise it to 89.1v , I well use the next higher profile and 22 cells . what i’m going to do next week is a range and perfromance test on 20 cells , then do it on 21 cells .

Very good test run today.
No charger yet.
Manually charger 24 cells to 4volts = 96 volts.

Ran in turf mode then full power with no error codes. :clap2::smiley:

Careful not to run over 100 amps. Good performance.

I’m going to turn my current down to 150 and see what happens.

If I blow my control, want to know why.

Reprogrammed, moving my 80volt setting back down to 72. No noticed difference by raising.

Set max Arm current to 155 down from 255.

Still goes 20mph uphill and 30mph on flat. Can’t push it more than 6,000rpm.

Not seeing a downside.

No error codes using a 15volt MaxiMum-spoof.

Voltage never drops below 92 volts.

Hmmm

To clairify things for a dummy this is what I’m hearing.

You can use a bunch of cells as long as you don’t charge them to a voltage under the High Voltage trip point of the controller.

More cells are better as far as range is concerned

LI cells aren’t damaged by under charging. Just the opposite of Flooded cells

Charger tecnology is good enough to accurately charge to the set point every time.

NEV requirements are so basic that BMS technology is only required by anal gadget freaks.

Rodney

Sort of.
I’m going beyond that.
There is an 86 volt voltage limit at “key on”, after that it’s 96 volts while motoring.
The 96 volt limit seem hard wired, but the I’ve raised the 86 - 15 volts on mine.

Even with my pack at 100 volts, I may get by, as it drops quickly under load.

Won’t know until I get some real chargers.

What do you think of 155 amp limit? I’m totally surprised.

Acceleration may be a dog.

It’s really not. :confused: :confused:
Even loaded with lead.
Must be the voltage.

Thanks for showing interest. If it wasn’t for this forum, there wouldn’t be any fun in doing this.

Plenty to do while waiting for chargers and circuit boards.

Now that there is hope of using stock 88 volt pack, I’m mocking up some chargers plugged into original bms port. Beautiful wiring job. A shame to discard it. Looks like it was built for nasa.

4 precision regulated 24 volt supplies.
Each charging 6 cells.
This 47ah battery is only 21" long including coolant nipples.

Hacked original bms board to use as break-out for charger wires.

Have a little advantage in that I have all this stuff on hand.

155 amps wont be a dog with that much voltage . the motors ( shunt) love voltage . remember its about watts . if voltage drops amp rise . it you can keep voltage higher then you need a lot less amps . that’s why lithium is faster then equivalent lead . under load lithium does not voltage sag and the higher voltage makes your cart faster .

also remember the breaker that grant was struggling with ? he had a big motor , with 4 people , going up a hill . the lead batteries voltage dropped , amps increased to make up , breaker fried . put that same cart on a lithium pack , voltage stays high , amps stay under control . breakers don’t pop .

Dave if your keeping voltage that high 155 amps well be fast . get that 425lbs of lead out of your cart and let us know how it performs .

p.s. time to share how you got around the 86v cut off . I want to add 2 more cells to my pack and need 90v to make it work .