Another lithium thread

I don’t have the profiles , I had a guy in Oregon load them for me .

the deltaq does a balance finish charge on the gel setting that takes each battery to like 16v in the end . that one wont work for lithium .

I don’t know what peak voltage is for the other factory profiles . you should do the same test on the profiles you already have in your charger and see if one is close enough .

also found a discharge profile for the entire volt pack . it is linear from 4.06v down to 3.48v then it knees over and not much amps left . this is very close to the leaf . I would use those numbers as your range and you would be good .

[quote=kinghappy;29726]I don’t have the profiles , I had a guy in Oregon load them for me .

the deltaq does a balance finish charge on the gel setting that takes each battery to like 16v in the end . that one wont work for lithium .

I don’t know what peak voltage is for the other factory profiles . you should do the same test on the profiles you already have in your charger and see if one is close enough .[/quote]

You have them in your charger.
Do you know if they’re protected, or if you can read them?

don’t know

Do you want to try? I’ll send you a programmer.

My intention was to clone the programmer. I’ll never get at it.:rain:

Keep jumping from one project to another.

Daily update:

Designed a circuit board to tap into bms plugs.
Not sure why. :confused::smiley:

Bms sockets rated at 5 amps. That might be helpful.

Tested charging thru plugs and socket with a few amps. Went well.:clap2:

Made some more test runs with T4 voltage spoof set to +12 volts.
Inconclusive.

Need to run battery down again.

dave,
fyi . on these chemistry cells , I have charged and discharged may 100- 150 times . no bms and these cells are all within 1/100v when charged . since we don’t take them anywhere near their low or high limits even if they did come a little out of balance it wouldn’t hurt them . the charger takes care of high side, the controller takes care of low side . i’ll add a bms if it becomes nessary but up to this point there all so close the bms wouldn’t do anything .

you are going to be surprised how tight the qc is in these cells.

I have been following this and other LI threads with keen interest,

I’m getting the impression that for our application, in an electric cart, we are over thinking our requirements.

I have NOT read even ONE thread where the lack of a BMS has caused grief.

Eliminating the Gadget Freaks who just cant wait for the Batt Six guy to come up with individual cell monitoring what is the minimum configuration with the LEAST amount of wires that would be cheap and reliable?

I’m an ME. Being cheap and lazy I want to spend the least amount of bucks and have the least amount of things with wires to maintain on my cart.

So what is the possible bottom line on 72 to 80 volts of batteries that would give me 20 ACTUAL miles of range, and a suitable charger profile for my 99 E825 4 seater that would be plug and play?

What say you?

when I first did mine I checked them multiple times a day . then only after full charge , then once a week . now its been a month wonder if I should check . its always the same . someday when they get older I think they well start to vary .

the leaf cell couldn’t be easier but the chevy volt conversion is even cheaper .the problem with the volt cells is you need 20 - 21 cells to get voltage right . they come in 6,12,24 assemblies . so you have to tap into an assembly and not use a few of the extra cells . no big deal and you can probably have it done by one of the distributers when u buy them.

now in daves case he may find a work around , i’m looking forward to his updates!

Whats your actual every day range?

depends on speed . 30 mph 22-24 miles . 35mph 20+miles

Too early for me to give advice to anyone.:o

Doing it for the challenge.

Change plans from day to day.

First thing is to find out if 18 cells will work out in Gem, and 12 in 48v Tomberlin.

If they do, it’s a no brainer, cost and effort wise, to use volt cells.

I have < $30 per 47ah cell in it so far.

So little $$ that I’m investing in $400 in 1s 10amp chargers.

Plan is to eliminate need for BMS and checking balance, ever.
Making all foolproof except watching low limit of pack.

If 18 cells suck performance wise, I go to 24. 96 volts peak, and hope for no smoke.

Tapping packs is not simple and will be a fall back if needed.

Shown is a double 12 pack. Terminated for series or parallel.
And a double 12 + 6 pack. Each terminated separately. 12-12-6

Leaving them as-is for testing. Easily broken down into sets of 6 and 12.

how long would the 18 cell pack be ? and the 24 pack ?

If works as expected.
I’ll parallel 2 sets of 18.
For > 80ah @ 67 volts average.

I know it’s low voltage, but I’m thinking, it’s worth a try. I’m happy with my performance now when dropping to 65 volts on hills.

For hot rodding. Use 24 cells for 89 volts nominal.

Each pack has standard wired bms plug with access to each cell.
5 amp plug will allow slow charging, with $15-3 amp chargers, to each cell.

Charger could be off-board, to use one charger for several cars.

10 amp chargers are more money and need custom wiring to cells.

Doing both. Plus the option of using DQ day to and 3-amp for occasional top balance.
Less money than BMS and handier than ballance checking. IMO

15" and 19" roughly. Depending on coolant nipples.

what is the charger specs for voltage ? you could probably push those cells to 4.2v . 4.15 easy.

They are specific for Volt chemistry.
4.2 volt

I see no reason not to push the limit if each cell has it’s own charger.

I think its going to work with 4.2v x18 x2 . you should try it with one bank first . my guess is you well have higher voltage under load then with lead . range well be down a little but maybe enough . 2 packs in parallel would give u great range .

Thank you.
I need some good news.

Been thru a little buyers remorse. Not finding any leaf cells.

I’ll let you know about raising the 86 volt limit after a little more testing.
Looks like I won’t be needing it myself.

Should be testing soon.
Going to set a pack on the floor without removing lead.

Hoping to get chargers soon. Only at 3.66v now.

Should I wait for charging to test?

yes . @ 3.66v there not holding much power and since your only using 18 cells and keeping any extra 425lbs of lead on board , id wait .

except you can use your deltq now .just wire it to the pack and when you get to 4.2v a cell unplug it . use those individual leads to check voltages while charging , you wont believe how close they stay. also those cells can take a 1c charge so the deltaq output well be a slow charge for them , I did it this way for 2 weeks waiting for my other dq to arrive with the lithium profiles .

remember lithium likes to be stored at low charge levels so 3.5v- 3.6v is ideal storage . try not to fully charge them and then store them .

also with 2 packs in there you wont have to charge them that often , it takes a while to adjust to the concept of not plugging it in everytime you use it , but its nice!

and please let me know about raising voltage limit above 86v