Alternator as a motor?

Has anyone used an old alternator converted over to a motor to power an EV?

If so, what were the results?

Did the alternator converted to motor perform as expected?

What type of controller was used and how did it perform?

I will keep this thread updated on my progress for those who would like to do the same. I will post results of performance and distances.

The thing I am wrapping my head around is how to create three phase from direct current other than buying a very expensive motor controller. :confused:

I just started practicing with 3 phase so I am still trying to figure out how to turn the motor. I supplied a couple different types of inputs and the motor acts like a step motor. :confused:

I know that 3 phase is three AC inputs per leg 120 degrees out of phase of each other. I am trying to design a driver that provides pure sine wave to each leg. I have schematics to a generic variable frequency driver but it doesn’t contain the microprosser that controls each IGBT’s. The alt I am using has a Delta formation rotor windings.

I priced the IGBT’s for a total of $220 for six; I already have the diodes/bridge rectifier that I can use. Though this circuit provides sawtooth or squared waves. The motor will work with this but not at its full efficiency.

I know how to use three stackable inverters to create 3 phase pure sine waves but the inverters cost a very shinny penny or two. This would increase the efficiency but adds more weight. :frowning:

Well, I will update as I progress in my research.

I guess my question is " why would you want to do this" There are 1000s of traction motors available in any power range you need. There are simple DC to sophisticated AC units on Ebay and in cart junkyards all over the USA.

Used motors and controllers are available and not terribly expensive. Usually a controller will cost more than a used motor.

Converting an alternator to a motor would be inefficient and IMHO an expensive step backward.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;20996]I guess my question is " why would you want to do this" There are 1000s of traction motors available in any power range you need. There are simple DC to sophisticated AC units on Ebay and in cart junkyards all over the USA.

Used motors and controllers are available and not terribly expensive. Usually a controller will cost more than a used motor.

Converting an alternator to a motor would be inefficient and IMHO an expensive step backward.[/quote]

Understood, it is all I have to work with right now.

I have run an alternator with an inverter before (albiet with no load on it). One thing that I want to point out is that most alternators are only rated at about 80 amps. This means that at 12 volts, you would putting out less than 1 kW.

This translates to 1.0 - 1.4 horsepower, peak. That won’t even move a scooter, much less a car (unless you have a dozen alternators in parallel). It did make for an interesting project (I had a lot of fun building it), but unfortunately, there was no practicle use for it.

The first small danish developed kewet electric car was made with 5 kw DC motors , and 48 volts. It is then minimum configuration, to get a small/light car up running close to 40 mph. So you need a big alternator to move a car :wink: