Motors for electric vehicles

hello, I have a couple of big three phase motors. could these be used in vehicle and run off of dc. I have found some electric cars that use three phase motors but do not know if these are special in any way. fo example there is an electric motor three phase on ebay for$2000 it is i believe 90 hp.it says it was made for a ford ranger. you can find used industrial motors of this size that are much more affordable somtimes free! they are quite heavy though. I have a 15 hp I was thinking might work in a small tractor. Tim

I am curious about the 3 ph motor setup. are they used with a DC to transformer and then to a 3ph AC inverter ?
or is there a DC configuration to a 3ph mtr that I am unfamiliar with?
-Al [thinking of making an E vehicle soon]

The Ford ranger uses Three Phase motors you can find them on ebay, That is all I know about them, I hope this helps, maybe you can get a schematic form Ford on it.

Hi guys…

May I ask, I’ve just discovered that automatic/self/electric car starters, are series-wound, high torque, DC motors, usually operates at 12v and 24v. Power depends on current amperes.

Can car starter motors be used on electric motorcycles? I’m planning to build (DIY) an electric motorcycle on sports bike chassis, just like the Maxdon GPR1. And I thought I should use a Starter motor for Large Diesel Engines like Diesel Pick-ups. They say these whirrers got high horsepower to move diesel cranks.

By the look of it, car starters seemed appropriate for an electric motorcycle. It is high-powered while being compact. It is already sealed for environmental conditions. It is capable of withstanding the tremendous heat coming from the car engine. Anyway, you can have an aluminum heat-sink machined around it to keep it cool.

The problem is, I’m still not sure about this. Can somebody out there help out and confirm this theory…?

BTW: It’s really not my idea, I just saw a custom (prob. home made) three-wheeler here in our city using a car starter motor… but to what extent? Is it reliable?

[QUOTE=BlueKnyght;112]BTW: It’s really not my idea, I just saw a custom (prob. home made) three-wheeler here in our city using a car starter motor… but to what extent? Is it reliable?[/QUOTE]

at that point it shouldn’t really matter… starters are pretty cheap to use and even if you had to replace it every few days… it wouldn’t be 1/2 bad i wouldn’t think…

as far as reliability it should be ok, but make sure to get an older style starter as they seem to be better constructed, and i would also use a heat sync design to try to disapaite the heat since i’m sure they will get very warm…

otherwise if they will work or not i havn’t the slightest clue i’ll wait for someone else on here to answer. i’ll research it a bit more my self though.

The 3 phase motors used all have a 3ph variable frequency inverter that powers them. The systems are expensive but one of the advantages is regen breaking. I believe they also tend to be a little more efficient than the DC motors, or at least they don’t need brushes replaced. The lighter the motor the more it cost and several places sell kits to do conversions. http://www.electroauto.com/ is one example. I am in the planning stages of converting a Saturn or Ford Contour to electric and will keep this blog updated on my progress. If I find a donor cheap enough I am also considering an Audi A4. There are a few around that did not get the timing belt changed soon enough.

[QUOTE=Gypsy;121]The 3 phase motors used all have a 3ph variable frequency inverter that powers them. The systems are expensive but one of the advantages is regen breaking. I believe they also tend to be a little more efficient than the DC motors, or at least they don’t need brushes replaced. The lighter the motor the more it cost and several places sell kits to do conversions. http://www.electroauto.com/ is one example. I am in the planning stages of converting a Saturn or Ford Contour to electric and will keep this blog updated on my progress. If I find a donor cheap enough I am also considering an Audi A4. There are a few around that did not get the timing belt changed soon enough.[/QUOTE]

what year? because they aren’t that light… and a nightmare for electrical… (not saying it would be a bad thing)

What about this engine can i go wicked fast with it.

http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/product_p/mo-00-08711.htm

Trans WarP 11" Motor
Up to 192 Volts

Following information provided by “WarP Motors”

"This motor is available today. They are now a “stock” item.

Specifications:
11.45" diameter
series wound DC motor
double ended shaft
Applications:
Mainly for Racing Vehicles
Direct Drive Systems
Our motor has been designed to ease the conversion process for people who want direct drive applications.
It has many unique features that set it apart from any other EV motor currently manufactured.
This motor has a “shorty” tailshaft housing from a Chevrolet Turbo 400 transmission fitted to the drive end-bell (may be ordered with or without housing!) This is becuase the drive end shaft is not the typical 1.125" single-keyed type, but rather a hefty 1.370", 32-tooth involute spline that is identical to the tailshaft spline of a Turbo 400 transmission. In other words, this motor was designed to replace a transmission and couple directly to a driveshaft!

But we didn’t stop there! We added double wide bearings on the drive end, added grease fittings (as you now have a slip-yoke assembly…). We chose the industry standard 1350 universal, so you can easily adapt it to any manufacturers driveshaft! We moved the terminals to the side of the motor to avoid road hazard damage, and to allow more clearance above and below. The motor also has brush wear indicators and a temperature snap switch. It has the same high efficiency fan and massive commutator and brushes as the WarP 11 motor. We even made the commutator end shaft the same diameter as the drive end of a typical WarP 11 - just in case you wanted to conenct 2, 11" motors together!

If that wasn’t enough, we also provide a lifting ring and 8 threaded mounting holes in the commutator end bell. This way you will find it easier to mount, as well as having a method of easily attaching a speed sensor, alternator, air conditioner, etc.

THANX

[QUOTE=BlueKnyght;112]Hi guys…

May I ask, I’ve just discovered that automatic/self/electric car starters, are series-wound, high torque, DC motors, usually operates at 12v and 24v. Power depends on current amperes.

Can car starter motors be used on electric motorcycles? I’m planning to build (DIY) an electric motorcycle on sports bike chassis, just like the Maxdon GPR1. And I thought I should use a Starter motor for Large Diesel Engines like Diesel Pick-ups. They say these whirrers got high horsepower to move diesel cranks.

By the look of it, car starters seemed appropriate for an electric motorcycle. It is high-powered while being compact. It is already sealed for environmental conditions. It is capable of withstanding the tremendous heat coming from the car engine. Anyway, you can have an aluminum heat-sink machined around it to keep it cool.

The problem is, I’m still not sure about this. Can somebody out there help out and confirm this theory…?

BTW: It’s really not my idea, I just saw a custom (prob. home made) three-wheeler here in our city using a car starter motor… but to what extent? Is it reliable?[/QUOTE]

i dont know if you want to take this as comformation but a few years back i damaged my motor at the track, it finaly died on the drive home so i drove the remaining 2 miles on the starter, so 3200lb car, 1 battery, starter motor = 2 mile range, ide say with a more thought out system a starter motor could work, not sure how they handle veriable speed but a little testing would answer that.

[QUOTE=Jake Breyck;220]i dont know if you want to take this as comformation but a few years back i damaged my motor at the track, it finaly died on the drive home so i drove the remaining 2 miles on the starter, so 3200lb car, 1 battery, starter motor = 2 mile range, ide say with a more thought out system a starter motor could work, not sure how they handle veriable speed but a little testing would answer that.[/QUOTE]

thanx for the reply and sharing, sir. but i guess I’m giving up the idea on this one. A starter motor would usually operate at 12v, there are some at 24v. To produce enough power that could put you at a moderate 20mph for city driving, these power suckers will require a couple hundred of amps. It can drain your batteries in just a couple of hours or so (won’t last a day). As I intend to make an electric motorcycle, I won’t have much room for more batteries that will allow a whole days’ charge.

Perhaps, if battery technology goes a few steps up… or the fuel cell technology goes a lot cheaper… then that would be the day for starter motors. But on the other hand, if there’s a starter motor out there that can accept an input as much as 48v - 72v or more, then the amp/hr or charge problem is solved. Higher voltage motors tends to require less amps for power, but still requires many batteries for the voltage.

BTW may I ask, would you think starter motors would last long on a continuous run??? Somebody told me, starter motors are designed only for short bursts to start an ICE engine. I don’t believe him though, 'coz nothing like that has been said about series-wound motors, normally used as car starter motors.

[QUOTE=joseph a clay sr;210]What about this engine can i go wicked fast with it.

http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/product_p/mo-00-08711.htm[/QUOTE]

Boy, you’ll kill yourself with that.

Better get two :smiley:

The White Zombie car is putting down nearly 800 lb/ft of torque with two 8" warp motors, so one 11" should be plenty provided you can power it.

I believe White Zombie USED to use an 8" duo. Now I think it’s a single custom motor. http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

I’m looking at doing that TransWarP11 in my Camaro, but since I have bodywork to do first, I’ll wait to see what else shows up when the time comes.

You want wicked fast??? Check this out…:eek:
http://www.ghiamonster.com/ This badboy is using three, count 'em, THREE WarP9s. On a tube chassis no less! Holy freaking electro-commute Batman! My 20 mile commute would take 5 minutes! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

yea i might have to go smaller i dont think i can fit that many batteries in a compact car. wich warp will i need for performance and distance you know like a reasonable commuter with the ability to kill a civic or eclipse or 2
and how many and what batteries

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;272]I believe White Zombie USED to use an 8" duo. Now I think it’s a single custom motor. http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php[/QUOTE]

It’s a single custom motor made out of the two Warp 8’s. Like a V16 made from putting two V8’s together.

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;272]
I’m looking at doing that TransWarP11 in my Camaro, but since I have bodywork to do first, I’ll wait to see what else shows up when the time comes.[/quote]

Sounds like you’re in the same shape I’m in with my Charger, but since I’m rural my range requirements are probably insurmountable at this time. Without spending a fortune on A123 cells.

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;272]
You want wicked fast??? Check this out…:eek:
http://www.ghiamonster.com/ This badboy is using three, count 'em, THREE WarP9s. On a tube chassis no less! Holy freaking electro-commute Batman! My 20 mile commute would take 5 minutes! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers[/QUOTE]

It looks fast but I’m not sure it can run 5 minutes.

After I read some of the Zombie’s history and looked at the pics I can agree, but his his wording still makes it sound like he’s now using a custom motor with one shaft with a dual com and two cans.

I’m glad to hear that there are others like me. I want to use my Camaro to make a statement to the rodders that rodding doesn’t have to die. Also, It’d be really cool to be able to drive my classic as a daily commuter that is cleaner than a Civic and just as fast as a “gas guzzling” V8 car. Oh yeah, and the whole thing about blistering acceleration with no “here I am cops, come get me” advertisement from the exhaust we a nice plus. :cool:

Yeah, I wasn’t really serious about the ghiamonster.

[QUOTE=Jack the R;276]
Sounds like you’re in the same shape I’m in with my Charger, but since I’m rural my range requirements are probably insurmountable at this time. Without spending a fortune on A123 cells.

It looks fast but I’m not sure it can run 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

You may want to ask about being able to plug in at work. Most companies are doing whatever they can to look green. The cost of the electricity would be minimal but a photo of you with your electric vehicle plugged in at work would be worth a lot in “green” PR for the company.

Look we are “GREEN” because we encourage our employees to drive electric cars.

This would effectively double your range in the commute.

Edit: Your description of white zombies motor (motors) sounds about right. It is a hot rod. Before V6s were common there used to be a guy who lopped off the two front cylinders of a Chevy 302 (yes a Chevy 302) and raced dirt track. He did about as well as white zombie does. Not the fastest around but the fastest with his kind of motor (6 cylinder).

it wouldn’t be hard for a company to do that either especially if they have solar panels on the roof… make it an incentive to work there :wink:

[QUOTE=Lazlow;286]You may want to ask about being able to plug in at work. Most companies are doing whatever they can to look green. The cost of the electricity would be minimal but a photo of you with your electric vehicle plugged in at work would be worth a lot in “green” PR for the company.

Look we are “GREEN” because we encourage our employees to drive electric cars.

This would effectively double your range in the commute.

Edit: Your description of white zombies motor (motors) sounds about right. It is a hot rod. Before V6s were common there used to be a guy who lopped off the two front cylinders of a Chevy 302 (yes a Chevy 302) and raced dirt track. He did about as well as white zombie does. Not the fastest around but the fastest with his kind of motor (6 cylinder).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;279]After I read some of the Zombie’s history and looked at the pics I can agree, but his his wording still makes it sound like he’s now using a custom motor with one shaft with a dual com and two cans.[/QUOTE]

Write him and see. I bet he replies.

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;279]
I’m glad to hear that there are others like me. I want to use my Camaro to make a statement to the rodders that rodding doesn’t have to die. Also, It’d be really cool to be able to drive my classic as a daily commuter that is cleaner than a Civic and just as fast as a “gas guzzling” V8 car. Oh yeah, and the whole thing about blistering acceleration with no “here I am cops, come get me” advertisement from the exhaust we a nice plus. :cool: [/quote]

I’d like to be able to afford to drive my Charger around the countryside, and lay into the throttle without feeling like I’m killing troops.

Also, ICE engines are too unreliable and difficult to work on. I’m not a pro mechanic and neither are the guys around here who do it for a living. It took me two months to get a front end alignment after I did struts (not on the Charger), and the first guy was about to screw it up before I stopped him. You’ve got to do everything yourself these days.

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;279]
Yeah, I wasn’t really serious about the ghiamonster.[/QUOTE]

I know. I can’t wait to see the times it turns in.

My cousin told me that they are racing shopping carts now using starter motors, what a wild ride that must be. LOL, at 24 volts