Alternate power source?

has anyone taken a lawnmower engine and hooked it to an alternator or two to power their motor instead of batteries? it seems to me that this would be easier than going homeon charging it every night. plus it would get great gas mileage and increase the driving range. any thoughts?

its extremely inefficient.

Lets say you want to go 30 miles in a car that uses 300Wh/mile. Thats 6000W/h. The generator you need will need to provide MORE than that because you have conversion loss from the output of the generator to the input of the motor controller. You’re converting power from gas to mechanical to electrical then electrical to mechanical to motion. Why not just gas to mechanical to motion?

For smaller things like motorcycles its alot of extra weight, and mass to fid in a large enough generator.

The whole idea is to get rid of gas engines alltogether. Plus, lawnmower engines are inefficient and use tons of gas (2 stroke) and burn really dirty. Most EV’rs don’t want all the extra polution.

actually i’m using a perendev style magnetic motor to turn the generator(s). i read one of the forums on here where a guy was talking about the magnetic motor andeveryone just shothim down, i figured i’d give an alternate method for turning the generator so people wouldtake it seriously instead ofinstantly dismissing my idea. with all that said, what are your thoughts?

Interesting thought, while a noobe myself I was going to propose the question of a magnetic motor creating current.

http://www.lutec.com.au/index.htm

Lutec from the link happens to do patented magnetic motors for electrical generation in New Zealand and Austrailia.

Couldn’t something like this be used to generate electricity to enhance the EV package instead of an ICE generator?

[QUOTE=csablack1;4548]actually i’m using a perendev style magnetic motor to turn the generator(s). i read one of the forums on here where a guy was talking about the magnetic motor andeveryone just shothim down, i figured i’d give an alternate method for turning the generator so people wouldtake it seriously instead ofinstantly dismissing my idea. with all that said, what are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

so you have a magnet motor? Do you have some pictures? I’m interested.

I’ve never seen a perendev motor [I]work[/I], it kinda seems too good to be true, like cheap gasoline, but if one works I’m ready to use it. :slight_smile:

i’m still designing this motor but as soon as i have it assembled or something worth seeing, i’ll post some pictures…in the meantime i’ll explain myidea for a selfpropelled generator. a perendev motor uses angled magnets on multiple wheels. around these wheels are a casing with more angled magnets to repel the wheels and set them in motion, actually you can see this on the link below. anyway, why not line the shaft of the motor with magnets and wrap a coil of copper wire between each wheel to create a current? it seemsto make sense in my mind buti’m open to suggestions. =)

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGiWiXMHn0”]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGiWiXMHn0[/ame]

OK, sorry magnitism was never my strong point. Please explain how the coils of wire will start a current.

Please bear with me as I try to figure this out (I am going to use some very general turms). From what I figure, to start a current from a magnetic field. They need to move though part of a magnetic field. Eather the positve havlf or the negative half. If they move though both than the net current will be zero. So, I don’t see how you will generate electricity by going in a circle.

[QUOTE=U4edot;4565]OK, sorry magnitism was never my strong point. Please explain how the coils of wire will start a current.

Please bear with me as I try to figure this out (I am going to use some very general turms). From what I figure, to start a current from a magnetic field. They need to move though part of a magnetic field. Eather the positve havlf or the negative half. If they move though both than the net current will be zero. So, I don’t see how you will generate electricity by going in a circle.[/QUOTE]

Go research on wikipedia on how a generator works.

or pick up a physics book at the library…

sorry, i meant line the shaft with copper wire and have magnets on the inside of the case. on one half the magnets have the north pole facing out and vice versa on the other side, creating the field that the wire moves through. this is my basic understanding of electromagnetic induction.

[QUOTE=csablack1;4570]sorry, i meant line the shaft with copper wire and have magnets on the inside of the case. on one half the magnets have the north pole facing out and vice versa on the other side, creating the field that the wire moves through. this is my basic understanding of electromagnetic induction.[/QUOTE]

as long as there’s a change in magnetic flux, there will be an induced current.

so do you think this set-up will work?

nope

losses are too much.

You have mechanical loss in the bearings, electrical loss in the coils/converter/charger system, air friction of the magnet motor, mechanical loss due to the torque needed to turn a loaded generator (it doesn’t spin freely at all when its loaded).

Plus, magnet motors, from what I’ve researched, need to be started by some source, and while they do run for a while, they don’t run forever. They run themselves for a while, but once you put a load on the, they’ll quickly slow.

Not to say you can’t try… but the laws of physics are working against you… and not once in hundreds of years has the Law of Conservation of energy been disproven. I 'd say it’d take you quite an invention to disprove such a huge basis for physics.

this has nothing to do with the magnetic motor but i hear that some guy developed a way to boil water with an electric motor that gave him 70% more energy out in steam than what was put in by electricity. i don’t know if its true or not, but it seems to me that this defies the laws of conservation of energy.

[QUOTE=csablack1;4583]this has nothing to do with the magnetic motor but i hear that some guy developed a way to boil water with an electric motor that gave him 70% more energy out in steam than what was put in by electricity. i don’t know if its true or not, but it seems to me that this defies the laws of conservation of energy.[/QUOTE]

total hogwash…

I’ve yet to see verifyable proof that ANY of these claims work.

peswiki is a good read (search on google) Pure Energy Systems. Goes over all the proven and unproven ones out there. Notice all the “alleged” systems. NONE are proven.

thats a very interesting read

A lawnmower engine likely isn’t the ideal choice, but there are discussions about home-made hybrids. Do a search for hybrid in theDIY forum and you should get some ideas.

The whole idea is to get rid of gas engines alltogether. Plus, lawnmower engines are inefficient and use tons of gas (2 stroke) and burn really dirty. Most EV’rs don’t want all the extra polution.

Yes, it would be nice to ditch combustion engines altogether. But some of us live in rural areas, or have long commutes, or need to be able to make long road trips from time to time. Until a charging infrastructure exists, one that won’t require drivers to give up hours of their day to power up, combustion engines will be required.

[QUOTE=frodus;4555]so you have a magnet motor? Do you have some pictures? I’m interested.[/QUOTE]

I do and it works great, i’m working on different sizes and versions. i’ve been working on it for years and its gotten pretty impressive, just wait till its released though :wink:

lutec’s isn’t going to be powerful enough to do anything unless you have LOTS of them working together. I’ve been working on stuffing it into a car, but its been hard trying to find an all aluminum car with in budget to fit it in (aluminum so its not effected by the steel chassis)

[QUOTE=FEUS;4595]I do and it works great, i’m working on different sizes and versions. i’ve been working on it for years and its gotten pretty impressive, just wait till its released though :wink:
[/QUOTE]

Wow, suprise there… Seems like thats what everyone says about a magnet motor “Just wait for the release”… Doesn’t anyone have a working version that they can show as working, prove it works, and provide specs?

I don’t believe lots of youtube because the shots cut away a ton, or they’re sitting on a large square box, so you can’t see underneath.

Whats the torque output on one of those magnet motors?

[QUOTE=FEUS;4595]I do and it works great, i’m working on different sizes and versions. i’ve been working on it for years and its gotten pretty impressive, just wait till its released though :wink:

lutec’s isn’t going to be powerful enough to do anything unless you have LOTS of them working together. I’ve been working on stuffing it into a car, but its been hard trying to find an all aluminum car with in budget to fit it in (aluminum so its not effected by the steel chassis)[/QUOTE]

I’m one of the skeptics… I have a difficult time even contemplating perpetual motion or things that even come close (losses so small that they are close to immeasurable)…
If you’re worried about outside interference to this engine - why not just build an aluminum support structure and shield it?
A Honda Insight (all aluminum) just sold on eBay for ~5k… Had 200k on it and the CVT was making noise. I almost pulled the trigger on it myself…

RE: just wait until it’s released - Yeah… I’ll wait… Sometimes it’s better to have something and not talk about it than to talk about it and not be able to prove it… I won’t say that I don’t believe you but I’m skeptical… After all there’s always been a first time for everything…