AGM battery

Batteries were about 70-80%

Connected monitor and charger.

I’ll post a voltage graph for AGM and # 32 DQ setting later.

I’m afraid to let it finish. Brand new batteries.

That didn’t take long.
Not all bad news. I hope.

Checked on charging progress after 4hrs and charger had faulted.

The original fault was one blink. Over temp.
After repair, charging proceeded for 3 hours. Original voltage was about 73 vdc or 70%.

New fault is 2 blinks or over voltage. Looking at graph that makes sense.
Terminal voltage after faulting is 78.1= full charge.

Seems DQ setting will work, it’s just not happy with my new agms going so high. IMO

See graph and fault codes that seem to be correct for Gem.

I believe they should top out in the area of 84 or more volts

Is that while charging or immediately after?

See updated graph showing 97 volts before termination.

80.8 volts immediately after then level to 78 volts.

If any one wants a review of data logger, let me know. ~$67 Super easy to use.

Seems like this last high voltage phase is not needed for AGM.
Seems my charger shut down after 20M of “Equalization”.

Too much?

Equalization

Equalization is essentially a controlled over charge. Some charger manufacturers call the peak voltage the charger attains at the end of the BULK mode (absorption voltage) an equalization voltage, but technically it’s not. Higher capacity wet (flooded) batteries sometimes benefit from this procedure, particularly the physically tall batteries. The electrolyte in a wet battery can stratify over time, if not cycled occasionally. In equalization, the voltage is brought up above typical peak charging voltage (to 15 to 16 volts in a 12 volt system) well into the gassing stage, and held for a fixed (but limited) period. This stirs up the chemistry in the entire battery, “equalizing” the strength of the electrolyte, and knocking off any loose sulphation that may be on the battery plates.

The construction of AGM and Gel batteries all but eliminates any stratification, and most all manufacturers of this type do not recommend it (advising against it). Some manufacturers (notably Concorde) list a procedure, but voltage and time are critical to avoid battery damage.

Graph is right. I watched mine and it shut off at 96.4 Leave it charge over night. After a few charge cycles you wll get a green after charging. Run them down to 40% or lower then charge for 5 or 10 cycles. After that no lower than 50%

The cheap and dirty is to put your hand on the batteries. If their only warm your good to go. The ampacity of the average charger is so low when topping off, it usually is no cause for concern.

Mine has a temp. sensor. When I fix it.

Today they were cool to touch.

I think I’ll see if anyone at Interstate batteries has an opinion.

I have an inquiry in to VMax. Going to be interesting to compare notes.

At least your charger has an algorithm for AGMs Most don’t

Is Minnesota shut down for the winter yet?

I did notice that Gem has dropped gels for agm’s as the standard battery for 2016. I don’t know what kind of charger they are using. Barry🌈

Thanks again houseboater my serial is DQCR721051000410 you say this is programmable.now I just need to find the kit to do it.

Check with Inwo - he just bought one.

I’m glad to share.

Contacted a guy who has lithium alg’s but can’t share.:frowning:
At one time he did, but someone started selling them and he got in legal trouble.

I have no idea how the prog works.

I’m hoping it will copy others alg’s.

Then if someone gets a lithium profile, we can share.

Ordered Nov 28
Shipped Nov 30 Arriving Dec 1 - Dec 4 Hokah

Check Amazon $172

That’s where I ordered.
Found one for $150 now. :o

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;28090]Graph is right. I watched mine and it shut off at 96.4 Leave it charge over night. After a few charge cycles you wll get a green after charging. Run them down to 40% or lower then charge for 5 or 10 cycles. After that no lower than 50%

5[/quote]

Right you are. Got a green on my second charge cycle.
Looks like it had cut back to <80V when I pulled the data logger.

Still waiting for my thermister. Not going to pay $42 for a off the shelf $5 part.:frowning:

I’ll post it in the alt-parts list if it works.

[quote=Inwo;28148]I’m glad to share.

Contacted a guy who has lithium alg’s but can’t share.:frowning:
At one time he did, but someone started selling them and he got in legal trouble.

I have no idea how the prog works.

I’m hoping it will copy others alg’s.

Then if someone gets a lithium profile, we can share.[/quote]

there is a guy in Portland that well load lithium profiles in a dq charger . he did mine , just paid for shipping .

Change your algorithm to flooded. (#13) If you have AGM’s. 32 is The AGM setting but all chargers don’t have it installed.

Gell setting under charges them and they prematurally deteriorate. If you have the regular charger (without DC/DC/ converter built in I can help you with algo change.

They may come back after 10 or 20 cycles