Advantages of Electric Cars

Advantages

The number one advantage of an electric vehicle is that no gas is required. One example is the Chevy Volt. It has a battery range of 40 miles. That means it can drive for 40 miles without using gas. 40 miles is more than the range of an average commute to work, so you can go to and from work using no gas. With minimal gas usage comes great savings. You do need gas in the Volt in case your battery runs out or you go for a long distance. However, the amount of fill ups per year will be much fewer with an electric vehicle
You can plug the car into any outlet of the proper voltage and charge the car. Electricity is much cheaper than gas, and the savings will be dramatic
Electric cars give off no emissions. Electric cars are even better than hybrids in this regard. Hybrids running on gas give off emissions, while electric cars are totally 100 percent free of pollutants
Safety is a big concern with these vehicles. However, the fluid batteries actually take impact better than a fully made gas car, and can help even more in the event of an accident

Thanks for that post Billlikecar - some helpful comments there.

I read somewhere this week that the average US motorist will not consider an electric car until they can do 300 miles on a full charge. The new Nissan Leaf is rumored to be able to do 150 miles on a full charge - I dont think we are a million miles away from the 300 miles target as technology is moving fast.

I think the average U.S. driver still needs a lot of education about E.V.'s and their range.Most people I encounter do not understand that when the 100 mile range is reached that doesn’t mean you have to wait untill the next day to drive. Thay need to understand that recharge time is not as long as they might think. People read that a car might take 4 hours to recharge and be put off by that , not understanding that 4 hours is from nearly discharged to full and you don’t have to charge completely every time. Just plug in to top off or give the range you need and off you go. I notice that almost no non E.V. owner seems to understand how to charge at a public station or even that they can and that they are frequently free.

[QUOTE=sugarmaker;14822]I think the average U.S. driver still needs a lot of education about E.V.'s and their range.Most people I encounter do not understand that when the 100 mile range is reached that doesn’t mean you have to wait untill the next day to drive. Thay need to understand that recharge time is not as long as they might think. People read that a car might take 4 hours to recharge and be put off by that , not understanding that 4 hours is from nearly discharged to full and you don’t have to charge completely every time. Just plug in to top off or give the range you need and off you go. I notice that almost no non E.V. owner seems to understand how to charge at a public station or even that they can and that they are frequently free.[/QUOTE]
It doesn’t help when dealers discourage you from buying an EV. That is the experience I have had and I’m not the only one who has experienced it. Some sales staff at a local dealership did not know that the manufacturer they were representing had an Electric Car for sale.

If Tesla is successful in pushing through a change in US law so that it can sell direct to customers you will see car showrooms totally shun electric cars.

We can save up to 75 percent per year on a fuel with a pure battery EV than a gas-powered car.

In this emerging world, it is huge change happening towards the Electric Vehicles. The major reasons are cost effective, more millage per charging rather than using gasoline cars.

There are so many benefits associated with using electric cars, the most useful advantage is of cost effectiveness that was rare in case of common cars operate with gasoline fluid.

I agree with I think the average U.S. driver still needs a lot of education about E.V.'s and their range.Most people I encounter do not understand that when the 100 mile range is reached that doesn’t mean you have to wait untill the next day to drive.