The Electric Car in 2017

The first Blog of 2017 describes the general landscape surrounding electric Vehicles.

I think EVs have now passed the point of no return. What does everyone else think?

America is just having growing pains. Like the speak-easys that faded away, after prohibition. Gas stations will fade away when electric cars come into fashion. Can`t wait!

Maybe the turning point will be when the government can safely introduce some form of EV tax to replace part of the lost oil taxes. Then again if you take into account the amount of money spent on safeguarding oil supplies over the years, not to mention the damage to the environment, there must be some enormous cost savings there already?

Hi, Cleanenergy Before everyone gets mad at me, and they surely will. Let me say, Ive owned and EV for over 30 years, and have helped convert lots of gas cars to electric. Now, car companys are eating your lunch every day, and laughing all the way to the bank. We all know, electric cars cost twice as much as a gas car, and cant go as far. Yet, people think that will change soon, did you think the car companys were sleeping? Your dreaming if you expect the average person to save the world when they can barely feed their family. Still only about 1 percent of cars are electric after 30 years, thats almost nothing. The electric cars being sold now, are just low hanging fruit. Reality strikes deep.

1 Like

I think “U” is all over it.

In a perfect world we would all be driving electric cars, thereby usurping the flow of money into the Middle East and eventually into the pockets of those that would do us harm.

The truth, however, is that somewhere closer to reality (this side of Disneyland) the facts of the matter are that for the majority of American drivers the #’ just don’t add up… Yet.

According to the intereweb, the average American household carries a credit card debt of $16,061. Their mortgages average $172,806, their student loans are over $49,000 and the average car loan(s) are over $28,000.

If we do some quick back of the napkin math tells us that this is over $260,000.

We all know that the economic downturn has been much slower to turn around than anyone would have preferred or predicted.

The disposable income just isn’t there for most folks in Hometown USA.

Tesla’s Model 3 is definitely a step in the right direction, as evidenced by 300,000 or 400,000 people that put down deposits in the first week or so of it’s official announcement (or however you wanna define when they started taking deposits)

The average car on the road is over 11 years old. And with very conservative extrapolation one could deduce that the average car on the road has between 130,000 and 200,000 miles on it. This isn’t because people like older high mile cars, it’s because they can’t or won’t saddle themselves with more debt for a new(er) one.

The answers are not more misguided subsidies (think cash for clunkers or Solyndra), the answer is more jobs. Good paying jobs. Things like …

We got to get folks back to work and off of foodstamps and get the millennials out of their parents basements.

The answers are also for the prices of electric cars to continue their downward trend while their range continues it’s upward trend. Obviously for this to happen the battery technology will need to continue it’s energy density gains all while lowering their $ per KWH. Obviously the economies of scale can and will assist with this,(think Giga Factory) as will newer technologies coming online (solid state batteries from Dyson and the all so elusive “Graphene Battery”).

For now, the answers for my household, with 2 kids in college, are for us to buy a used EV. Probably gonna be an i-Miev for drivin around town and keep the 11 year old Mazda MPV, with 200,000 miles for long hauls, and to add solar panels to our house. I’m more than likely gonna toss a GEM into the mix for me to buzz around in, but a new $70K to $100K Golly Gee Wiz EV that will outrun a Lamborghini just isn’t on my radar screen.

As always…
YMMV

Dino

1 Like

Surely improvements in technology are the key? I appreciate it has been a slow burn for EVs to date but the larger amounts of money being invested R&D must surely mean we have turned the corner?

Hi, Dino1963 The electric car community is spending a staggering amount of money, and resourses to make a 400mi electric car. The problem is when they finally do, the gas car companys will just enlarge the gas tank 20% claim a 500mi range, and put the electric car back in the box.

Hi, Cleanenergy The electric car community is spending a staggering amount of money, and resourses to make a 400mi electric car. The problem is when they finally do, the gas car companys will just enlarge the gas tank 20% claim a 500mi range, and put the electric car back in the box.

I think eventually the population at large is gonna realize that Musk’s vision of “free energy” is gonna catch on.

Solar powered house w/energy storage device = No utility bill

EV with 250 to 400 mile range charged @ home from solar / battery = No fuel bill

This is where the technology would come into play.

But all of this is for not if we can’t get it down to an affordable alternative for the average workaday American.

1 Like

Improvements in technology will need to incorporate lowering the acquisition costs.

It’d be nice if technology could also lower unemployment and dependence on the gubmit teet, thus increasing the EV customer base.

The platform for the gas car has been around over a 100 years.
It works great for gas cars, but not so good for electric cars, theres never enough room for batteries. Also, its not good for self driving cars, why because theres a little electric motor at the end of the steering wheel that turns the front wheels. That makes it electro mechanical, not nearly as accurate as the computer that runs it. Not good.

HI,Steer, accelerate, and brake, effortlessly with just one hand. Joystick( drive by wire). No steering wheel, no gas pedal,no brake pedal. What a relief!

Hi @unique_electric_car

I totally agree with your comments about driving with a joystick, etc but the main problem here is that you are literally re-inventing the wheel. People have become so accustomed to steering wheels, etc that they are very wary of trying something different. A perfect example of how we as the human race can be brainwashed. Change this way of thought and you change the motoring industry.

Hi Cleanenergy Totally caught me off guard, I was expecting more BS. Yes, I agree people don`t get the joystick, although it is fun when you learn how to use it.
Although, I don t use it much any more. I drive mostly by computer now. The computer is a better driver than I am.

Always expect the unexpected my friend!

I believe that the general population has been brainwashed into accepting certain equipment and actions in many areas of life. The use of a joystick rather than a steering wheel, computer control vehicles as opposed to manual, are just two examples of positive options. This also illustrates the battle that the electronic vehicle market has today, changing the way of thinking for many people.

The batteries in the electric EVette eject out of the back of the car much the same way as the batteries in a cordless electric drill. Done in seconds, easy. Batteries in a conventional electric car are under the hood, in the trunk, under the seats, and where the gas tank was. To get them out takes hours! What are they thinking?

I totally agree - this has been an issue for many years with car manufacturers. My old ICE car was a nightmare when I needed to change the headlight bulbs - taking off air filters, etc. Why do they continue to make replacement of items so difficult?

Hi,
The math is simple. Half the weight, twice the distance.These electric cars are way to heavy for electric.
Tesla 4,647 lbs
Volt 3,794 lbs
Leaf 3,277 lbs

In your mind what is the optimum weight to maximise electric powered vehicles?