8KW Motor - Sevcon Controller - Digital Dash

And one day after I shot this video none of the dongles i have on hand work anymore.
Gotta love this hobbie. :joy:

#Debuglife

Gotta love the 12.00 bluetooth dongles… LOL

I even plopped In the expensive one from my truck so that’s annoying. I’ll figure it out eventually.

Are you sure it is the ODBII adapter? Double check your CAN HI and CAN LOW wires, make sure everything is tight.

Literally nothing changed from video to the next day as far as I recall.
Does the cantranslator flash or stay steady in yours? Mine flashes.
I have a red light on my blmdongle but never get the green light indicating can traffic.

Mine flashes also.
My dongle has all kinds of lights flashing… I don’t know what they all mean.

I have that same one. It refused to connect. My crappy cheap blue one connnect first try and never again. I bought a new one for my truck and put that in to experiment. It connected but gave me no can-traffic. I also bought a hardlined USB one because Bluetooth has been nothing but garbage for me over the years in every device I’ve ever used. The USB on connected fine and finally gave me “some” live data. I need to revisit my PIDs to verify nothing changed.

@MikeKC

Mike, I just wanted to verify, this is the correct can translator?

Do I need the $20 add-on serial cable?

Do you still recommend the $20 Foseal ODBII scanner w/ wireless to go with it?

That is the correct item from thunderstruck -
you do not need the serial cable

Most any ODBII scanner with bluetooth should work - You need the torque app pro (4.99) to read the ODBII - I think their Andriod version uses bluetooth, IOS may use WIFI but have never tried IOS.

Here are the custom PID’s you need to configure - If you can’t follow this let me know and I can email you a spreadsheet - the forum will not let me upload it.

You really only need a couple of them.
RPM
Volts
Speed - Speed can be added using the GPS function in the tablet or phone, not required from the sevcon
Forward and Reverse Lights are kinda cool
AMPS , I need to play with that one a little I don’t think it is accurate, it says A/16 but I think it might be more like A/8 or A/4

Name “ShortName” “ModeAndPID” “Equation” “Min Value” “Max Value” “Units” “Header” “startDiagnostic” “stopDiagnostic” “Scale”
controller temp controller temp 0x22dd02 A 0 200 C 7df 1
battery current AMPS 0x22dd03 A/16 -100 500 amps 7df 1
Forward Forward 0x22dd07 A 0 1 on/off 7df 1
motor speed RPM 0x22dd05 (signed(B)*256 + A) 0 9000 RPM 7df 1
motor temp motor temp 0x22dd04 A 0 200 C 7df 1
Pack Voltage Volts 0x22dd01 (256*B+A)/8 0 100 volts 7df 1
Reverse Reverse 0x22dd06 A 0 1 on/off 7df 1

Thanks Mike. I haven’t had a chance to order the can translator yet but grabbed a few related things off Amazon prime day. One of them is this display, I didn’t dully read the description, I thought it was a GPS speedo that could also optionally read ODBI info. It’s actually primarily an ODBII interface (it pulls power from the ODBII harness) and GPS speed is an option.

I’m now wondering if I can use it to display RPM from the ODBII and GPS speed. Could live without the other data if I were to use it in that manner. Is the RPM signal / format universal or is Torque app doing something special? Any thoughts if this could be hooked up? No real info in the box about it, just some sketchy directions.

The torque pro app lets you put in equations that then show the correct value on the screen. Unless that little display let you put in custom fields and values I think you might be out of luck.

Thanks Mike. It looks like all it can do is change what engine data is being displayed, and those come from a pre-set list of generic choices. It’s a little unclear, there might be some fine tuning available to adjust the output displayed, but anything anything more than seems to be beyond it.

Not a big deal. I picked it up along with the GPS spedo that Grant posted, just as an option because it looked like you can mount it on the pillar. Meh. Back it goes.

1 Like

Did you get a chance to get the SOC to work?

I did not, I just use the pack voltage reading.
I think it may require a CANbus charger to get the SOC working correctly and I do not have access to one of those.

I was able to get the SOC using a Canbus BMS that I already had. I don’t think it’s worth to buy. A canbus BMS just for the SoC imo. You can estimate the SoC based on the Pack voltage. (It’s not exactly but you have an idea)

Thanks for the updates. Any suggestions on what to do with the the old display on the older GEM cars. It sure blinks a lot and makes it hard to sell with an AC conversion.

If you have lithium batteries, use ant bms with LCD. I make a kit that activates the speedometer function.

Do you know what Michael is using on his number 4 battery?

A different bms. Did he have it shipped yet? I can change it to ant/LCD before shipping.
ee7997a2b3ecd541e19759838ad979775949adbc_2_500x500.jpeg