Using stock 2018 dash with updated controller

With all the new info on the late model controllers is there a way to have the aftermarket controller work with the factory dash? I have 2018 GEM with no speedometer.

Gabe has a speedometer fix. It’s not 100% last I heard.
If he foresees something better, it might be better to wait.
Are you running high voltage as well or just extra speed?

2 Likes

High voltage and extra speed. My max is 38. Faster would be better but I have spent enough already. :slight_smile:
Sway bar is probably my next upgrade.

what kind of controller do you have?

Found this. It looks as though he has sevcon and dvt.

The Sevcon maybe set to 500Mhz (as it looks like I added the TPDO’s for digital dash?). 500Mhz will conflict with the 250Mhz on the VCM. if the controller is changed to 250Mhz, has the correct TPDO and @djgabriel2004 VCM change the speedo should work.
We have done two conversions in SD (2016 and 2022) in the past six months and both speedos work.
I stopped using 500Mhz and adding the digital dash TPDO’s a long time ago so you must have a pretty early kit @BadBrad ?

1 Like

Ok yeah The translator is in 500kbps

@BadBrad you don’t need the translator, do you have DVT?

If so pls send me a DM, you can include @MikeKC and @Inwo too so we are all i the same page

1 Like

Don’t mean to hijack, but as you are both here, someone on fb is asking about putting a navitas system in his Gem.
Not 100% sure but he posted on my 2016+ page.

Could be done. Just put my first Navitas in an ezgo last month.
It would need to be custom wired and all the inputs figured out. Just like we did on the Sevcons. They are expensive. About 1k.

1 Like

Yes, but why was my answer. :slight_smile:

They are pretty nice. For golf carts they basically plug and play. Phone app for tons of settings and gauges. Agree tho don’t know why in a GEM.

I’m a fan of navitas for golf carts. 1) the Bluetooth app lets you configure a bunch of controller settings and it’s free. No expensive licensing and hardware to connect. Sure, not as configurable as sevcon but simple for the average user. 2) support. You can actually call navitas and someone will talk to you to help troubleshoot. Firmware updates are posted an available.

Back to the original thread… Gabe helped me program my speedo with a non OEM controller and it works spot on 97% of the time.

My experience with the first release was maybe 75%. Good enough for me. My experience was NOT normal driving however. Stop and go testing and a restart would always get speedometer working again.

1 Like

@Erniea15 @Inwo did I Reflash your vcm to remove the oem Data? Or you’re just running with an untouched one?

I have reports that it’s working consistently without jumps, if receiving data ONLY from TPDO

I have the test vehicle from the first conversion. I do not have the original controller. I don’t believe this controller was flashed? Is there some way to check and see?
This is the car I have.

I am so lost… LOL

Fill in the words to post

I also have a obd item from my dmv to lower my registration every year. It is an electric vehicle so they tack on $250.00 because they are not getting the gas tax money. Now I pay by the mile. FYI.

Is dvt the program used to show the settings of the sevcon controller? If so yes I have used that on this car.

Now I screwed up. Wires are popping off everywhere.

My controller.

@Inwo do you remember what color wire is can hi and can low or the pin?:slight_smile: