Repurpose new GEM controller and motor?

I’m in the process of converting my 2016 gem to 72v, swapping the motor and controller. Was thinking about repurposing the old gear and dropping it in an ezgo golf cart. Would it work? Are the GEM sevcons programmable?

I probably wouldn’t want to go much faster than 25 mph in a lifted golf cart anyway but exploring the options.

What are the limitations of the GEM motor and controller. Are they hard coded with certain restrictions?

Just kicking around ideas…

The controller seems to be hard coded and is used as a slave only. The brains are in the Gem VCM.
I bricked the only Sevcon that I tried changing the DLD file in. I guess it’s time I tried again.

1 Like

Let me know if you want mine to mess with. It will just be sitting in a bin in my garage otherwise

LOOK DAVID - Another chance to Taco a controller!!! :slight_smile:

Maybe send it to Mike with the other one. Then he can look at the TPDOs .
I don’t know if it’s worth our time learning to drive by “can”, like the new Gems.
There is no reason a new DLD won’t load. I’m just afraid to try again.

Ok… Mike is up to brick it ;). Will probably send separately. Want to get my legacy squared away and the DC stuff re-reinstalled before breaking down the 2016. Hopefully by the end of next weekend.

I can brick things as well as the next guy… send it

1 Like

Finally got around to stripping down my 2016 for @Inwo split Tesla battery… still want the controller to brick…I meant hack? Haha

I tested another one thourouly. There appears to be a hardware issue that is insurmountable by me.
Mike may want to try.
I can load a Polaris on-road dld only. Any other comes up with a location that won’t write.
I’m sure Sevcon has a deal with Polaris to not repair Polaris controllers. Fsip won’t do it.
Someone more talented than me could look at the problem location and compare the files.
Anyone attempting to reprogram without having a Polaris dld file will brick the controller.

@MikeKC willing to donate my controller to the cause if you want to give it a try. Let me know and it will be in the mail Monday.

1 Like

Sure, I will give it a shot.

2 Likes