8KW Motor - Sevcon Controller - Digital Dash

He has not shipped it yet.

Ask him about a ant bms upgrade. Tell him it’s ok by me, and see what he thinks of it.
The LCD is an add-on and been out of China stock for a while. I may have a few left here.

Dash bms LCD in my tomberlin e4.
MVC-001F

1 Like

I just put electrical tape for black sticker over the display and put one of these on the dash.

Pretty easy sell when you tell the buyer they can use it this way and go 50mph or you can put it back and they can go 25mph.
I have sold four cars in less than two days each this way.

1 Like

I have the same display in my 2018 Blue GEM :slight_smile:
It works really nice.
I tried the translator in my 2018 and the car didn’t know what to do when I turned it on.
Everything turned on and off and on again. I unplugged it and the car was fine. I believe the speed needs to be changed on the translator or the controller. I’m going to have to work on that later.

@BadBrad - agreed, those ant/BMS displays are really nice.

When Dave built the battery pack that is in my (his at the time) 2010 eL, it got one. When I bought the eL I thought I was going to put a ODBII adapter, translator, car tablet, bluetooth, automatic dog-walker data display in there… But I just never got around to installing all that when I got the vehicle and, now, I discovered I can’t find a convincing reason to put all that chit in.

I know what my batteries are at with a glance, so what other info is so critical to me that I need to know it to drive around a 9 square mile city with only three patches of road that are over 35 mph? Two 40’s and a 45, one of the 40’s being the end/beginning of the 45…

Next GEM is definitely getting it (or similar) first thing…

1 Like

That’s correct you have to set the translator to 250kbps otherwise it will get the Gem canbus crazy

1 Like

Is there an easy way to do that?

Yes, but you will need the can translator serial wire, did you order it? You can order it from thunderstruck.

You only have to put Couple commands in Putty and that’s it.

I didn’t get it but have one that is similar. I read the instructions. I’ll see if I can follow them. Thanks

I can lend you mine if you need, but I’m not sure if its worth the shipping back and forth.

Can you show a picture of what it looks like?

I’m not at home but it’s basically a USB cable in one side and a 3.5mm (like headphones) plug on the other side

This is what I have. Do you think it will work?

I have no idea.
Follow the Thunderstruck guide. If you can get it to talk to the Translator then you are good.

No luck on my side. Do you want to lend me yours. I didn’t see on their site where they will sell them individually.

Can you look and see if yours is a 3 or 4 barrel plug on the end when you get a chance. Thanks

here is the cable they sell.

https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/serial-cable.html

I can lend you mine, but the shipping might be more expensive than the cable.

Thanks for the link. I couldn’t find it.

I couldn’t get my setup to work so I ordered one. Thanks for the help.

1 Like