2013 e2 Battery Upgrade

Is that correct? Old version hard to find and may not work on new bms. I know the last batch needed new app.

@Garthhh

The BMS is powered up
The APP v4.11.0 on Chromebook doesnā€™t connect
Bluetooth is on
What else should I try?

What is the light for?

Thanks for the reply
My phone is android 10, too old for the app
The chromebook will download the app from the playstore,
I toggled BT & scanned for the BMS a few times

Is there a red led blinking on the BMS?

It could have been timing on pic snap that caught this in the OFF blink state.

I would like hook up the new pack from the top of the service bed, so I can work out all the details before removing the Lead Acid pack
How big should the wires be?
How many months before the BMS discharges the Lithium pack too much?

Here is the link

App is called enjpower, download it from your phone. I use it all the time

I still donā€™t know why has another name but it looks identical

Might need to unzip it, and ofc allow to install unknown apps

1 Like

I made this as simple as possible, push button start, no 9v battery needed. Garth, if you are having problems please call or text

1 Like

My GEM is my only way to transport a passenger, once I take the LA pack out Iā€™m stuck making the new pack work in less than a week
My health has been problematic for some time, Iā€™m not always able to crawl around on the ground or troubleshoot temperamental apps for the hours involved
I donā€™t have a helper who is conversant in the technology
Doing the work in smaller chunks is going to be easier & minimize the potential interruption of service
Lashing down the pack & making up a couple of cables is hardly twice the work. soldering a couple of lugs on some 00 [my guess on size] is no big

Being stuck on the BMS part of the program isnā€™t increasing my confidence in a no fuss plug n play solution
A solution that didnā€™t require me to navigate wireless hell & isnā€™t dependent on the vagaries of the Play Store would be more reliable long term
That I have to let some random company track my location, doesnā€™t give me warm fuzzies

What is BalON?

Iā€™ll try some of the solutions [thanks to everyone for the links] offered as my energy & schedule permit
I suspect the chromebook isnā€™t working because there is no cell receiver, so no location services

I can get it all to work, Iā€™m just exploring my options
Thanks to everyone for the support

1 Like

I got the current version of the app working on the chromebook
Turning on location services even though itā€™s not connected to the internet & entering 1234 made it work

The BMS is already programmed
I still have no idea why I need to communicate with the battery pack other than troubleshooting a bad BMS/pack/cell?

Which version did you use?

You do not. You can remove app once battery is working.
Nice to have along in case you run battery dead and get stranded.

What would you do with the BMS if the battery is dead & you are stranded?

Set it to emergency mode and limp to a charger. Not always safe depending on how bms is programmed.

Some settings are preferences. Not carved in stone.
I like to set the bms to trip early, leaving enough juice to get back to the barn.
None of this matters if you charge battery before it goes dead.

Itā€™s just another upside of lithium and BMS.

Bible:

Say you set bms uvp to 3.5v 12% left. Set bms to emergency and limp home.
If set to <3.4v. Dead is dead. Donā€™t run it that low.

I know this seems overly complicatedā€¦ But any battery can go dead. Just donā€™t do that. :slight_smile:

It wonā€™t hurt battery like it would lead, bms protects it. But it is a huge inconvenience needing a tow.

Not as complicated as a LA pack being ruined by one mistake I would probably find a place to plug in or have AAA bring me home, before messing with settingsā€¦
Iā€™m pretty well programmed to park n plug :smiley:
No periodic maintenance tasks involving the samsung battery pack?
How much will the range suffer from temps in the 10ā€™s, 20ā€™s?
My parking/charging stays above freezing

GEMs beyond Tires, Brakes & occasionally brushes, donā€™t need much
The cost to own per month is low, insurance & registration around half
GEMs are easier to drive and park than a full sized car
The lower speed is safer
There is a sizable contingent of people who live in this building that have a similar use case to mine

No maintenance.
Doubt you will notice less range. I have not received feedback on low temperature performance.

Iā€™m back
Installed pack
BMS shows 46% charge
Turned on main, turned on key
Black screen
Plugged in charger, lights blink
Whats next?