2012 Gem - Flashing turtle but everything working fine?

I have a 2012 Gem e4. Last year it went into turtle mode because I let the batteries run down. I charged them up and everything worked fine the remainder of the year. I use it at a seasonal park and took the batteries out last November (I keep them on a float charger in a garage). I installed them last week and everything works perfectly except the turtle is still flashing. No other lights are on and the Gem works and charges perfectly - I’ve checked the batteries and they’re all good and as I mentioned, the Delta Q charger works/charges them fine. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this flashing turtle to be “permanent” ?? I ignored the turtle all of last year and everything worked perfectly. But this is just bugging me as to what may have caused it and if there’s any way to reset it ?

sticky dots

2 Likes

This doesn’t make sense.
The turtle is the only thing on the display flashing?
As far as I knew, the Turtle was either ON or OFF. Maybe the firmware loaded for your display is a bit different and handles your light different on a 2012?

Have you ever mucked around in the Secret Dash Menu and possibly changed a setting that it is upset over? There are things in there that have not yet been fully explained.

It finishes charge without error and soc shows full?
Turtle is reset by current through psdm shunt and battery voltage.

I know it doesn’t make sense. Everything works perfectly and until the Gem actually went into turtle mode ~ a year ago, there was nothing flashing.
Like I said, I charged up the batteries when they were low and everything has worked perfectly since other than the flashing turtle.

Yes - Charges fine. However, the (SOC) gauge has never worked on this Gem. I added a separate volt meter years ago and use that. But the SOC indicator I can reset to 100% and it will work (it’s way down) but never go back to 100% even though the batteries are fully charged. In other words, I have to constantly reset the SOC when I recharge the batteries otherwise the SOC will read 0

The statement

Everything is working perfectly

actually stops me from asking certain questions that may lead up to a solution.

Then you come back with this tidbit that contradicts your first statement.

However, the (SOC) gauge has never worked on this Gem.

This tells me that we need to look at how your charger is wired up. Have you ever had any work done related to the charger or it’s systems? Follow the wires coming out of the charger and describe EXACTLY where they attach.

Also further Questions:

• What charger are you using to charge the car?
  • Is your interlock wired up properly so it keeps the car from driving away when plugged in for charging?

Report back with your findings.

Calibrating the SOC on the dash might fix the turtle issue, the car might think it has low voltage.
The instructions for SOC calibration is on the forum somewhere…

Using the Delta-Q charger. The Gem isn’t here now but if I remember correctly, the negative coming off the charger is hooked into the negative from the controller and I do believe that the positive is run back to the battery. I’m thinking that explains why the SOC indicator doesn’t work. But will have to look at it again this weekend…

No, that does not make sense.

If you tell us the whole story it makes perfect sense and doesn’t waste Byron’s time.

He has more patience than I. :slight_smile:

The charger is hooked up wrong. Once a turtle is triggered it is reset by charging thru the Gem. If red cable is hooked to directly to battery it bypasses Gem and will never reset.

1 Like

That’s unpossible…

It’s all perfect.

OK sorry about that: I bought the Gem a few years ago. There had been a new Delta-Q charger installed. The Gem ran perfectly. No lights were on. The SOC gauge on the dash has never worked. I knew this prior to purchasing it. I installed a 12volt digital gauge in dash that works fine. Everything else worked fine too - except the SOC gauge (which has never worked). What I meant to say was that the Gem has always “run” perfectly. Sorry about that one missing (important) piece. I had a friend who suggested putting a piece of electrical tape over the flashing turtle ! So I guess the million dollar question now is where should the positive lead coming from the charger be hooked into ?

if I remember correctly, the negative coming off the charger is hooked into the negative from the controller and I do believe that the positive is run back to the battery.

It is important not to guess. Please verify when you have a chance.

Normally -

• BLACK wire from the charger is hooked up to the NEG on the controller.
  • The RED wire is hooked up to the +72 connect on the front side of the PSDM.
    • (Alt) I have also seen the RED connected to the BAT side of the Main contactor (not the Controller Side).

Q → Are you charging the batteries with the main disconnect switched OFF?

I am not sure why someone chose to run the RED wire all the way back and directly to the Pack. Maybe you are mistaken? This would give you the ability to charge the car with the main disconnect switched to OFF. This may sound like a good thing, but it is not.

I installed a 12volt digital gauge in dash

How did you hook this up? I understand your thinking, but realize you are only monitoring one battery of your pack. Is is not a full/complete picture of pack status.

Curious → Using this as your fuel gauge, What is your EMPTY battery number?

I’m a real novice for the Gem so I have to ask where is the PSDM and what does it look like ?
As for hooking up the digital meter, I hooked up the positive lead to the “first” batter and the negative to the “last” battery. I can switch the meter from percent to volts. When fully charged it’s at 100% and I typically charge every weekend when I first get to the park. I’ve asked several people about charging lead acid batteries and half told me to let them run down and half told me to keep them charged up all the time. The Delta charger I have can’t over-charge - that much I do know. Thanks for all your info !

The PSDM (Power Signal Distribution Module) is mounted behind the lower section of your dash. It is the nerve center of the car. You see a bit of it when you are looking at the fuses when the little door is removed. It is a PITA to quickly access because the upper and lower sections of the dash need to be removed to get a good look at it. Luckily, dash removal is not that difficult.

I hooked up the positive lead to the “first” batter and the negative to the “last” battery.

This is totally different than a 12v meter (You have a ~72v Pack monitor). It is a better picture of your entire pack condition, but depending on how it was set up, the % is probably not going to be very accurate. It is better to use the V number against the scale:

It also sounds like this gauge is active all the time. Hopefully you don’t leave the car unattended for very long. Hint: There are better places to hook this up.

Just to test, Next time you run your car down to where you think you should charge it, Look at your %, then look at the V to see where you are. Any time you dip below 12V(6X12=72) it damages your battery a little bit.

half told me to let them run down

I would question tax advice or stock tips from these people. Their battery info is incorrect.

half told me to keep them charged up all the time.

This is a better plan. Charge your car when you arrive, then charge it up again when you leave, then switch off your main disconnect before you go. (depending on how long you are gone for).

What is your FULL battery number?
What is your EMPTY battery number?

Q → Are you charging the batteries with the main disconnect switched OFF?

I have been charging the batteries with the main disconnect off. As far as the 72volt digital voltmeter, I programmed it to be only active for 10 seconds when I push the button on it (momentary switch). Thanks for the pictures and diagrams - this will help me out a lot.

I have been charging the batteries with the main disconnect off.

This is 100% your problem why the SOC is not seeing the little ampules going back into your pack.

Think of it as a bean counter. It just keeps track of how many beans(electrons) are coming out of your jar (pack). When plugged in and charging it counts the beans going in. If you shut the lights out it does not see the beans going in and assumes the jar is still empty.

2 Likes

That right there says your gem isn’t wired right. Not supposed to be able to do that

I just realized I missed assy’s post making the same comment.

1 Like

I just realized I missed assy’s post making the same comment.

It’s good to have backup.
Or are you the comic relief?

1 Like