2005 gem e4 charger

Hi…charger (delta q) does not activate. No LEDs. Batteries fully charged. Please advise. Time to replace?
Thank you!

I pulled my DeltaQ out as fubar, replaced with a ride-4-fun unit (no instructions included?). Lots of battery issues before and after, blah, blah, blah…
Gave the DeltaQ away only to hear that there is an INTERNAL fuse! Couldn’t check that out as it was gone, but have a nagging itch to know if that is true.
Anyone out there know if there is truth to this rumor? Maybe it will help you.

Internal fault is often a fuse. I have not seen an input fuse blow in an otherwise working charger.

The connection on the input pigtail is prone to failure however.

The problem with fuses is that they usually don’t blow without a good reason. That condition must be properly diagnosed and corrected or it will blow the next fuse that is installed.

The legendary fuse in the DQ is not considered a user serviceable component. It is buried quite deep, involves disassembly of the charger just to get to it, then some tricky soldering to replace. It is also a specialty fuse and not easy to find.

I hope this scratched your nagging itch. If this itch develops to a rash, consult your physician.

Thank you, all. Bottom line…would you recommend I purchase a new charger, or take to the dealer for diagnostic evaluation?

I guess I don’t know how common isolated charger failure is over a 17 year period.

@mlm - In your Description above (Why do you have 2 accounts?) you did not say what you did to determine your charger was not working other than “it did not have any lights”.

• Clarify → Were you looking at the Status Panel on the charger and found it dark?
  • Did you check that you had power at your extension cord that you were jacking into your car? (GFI tripped?)
  • Check for power going into the car all the way up through the pigtail.
  • See if you can scrounge up a power cord from a computer or monitor and bypass the front plug/pigtail and hook up to the charger directly.
  • When plugged in, does a small yellow power cord icon appear on your dash?

Your first post mentions:

Batteries fully charged

How did you determine this?
How does this happen if your charger is not working?

Hi…Not sure about the two accounts. I verified Power and put on a new cord from an outlet to the input side of the charger still no LEDs. The batteries were charged by external chargers to 12.6 or above. using flooded deep cycle batteries that have been working great for the last two years. when I plug in there is no power light on the display. When I turn the key on, it does show a battery power of green except less 2 lines. Do you think I should just order a new charger or do you think I need to take it in for dealer diagnostics?

Ok. I’d say you did the proper diagnostics and should start sniffing around for a new charger.
Ebay, Craigslist are a good source of parts, but do your checking up on the seller.
Or you can see if FSIP might be able to repair this one.

I will. Thank you again for the guidance!

Thank you for The previous replies. Again I have a Gem E4 2005. I just installed a new Delta Q charger, 912–70 200 QUIQ 1000. Program for flooded lead acid batteries. The green wire coming out of the Delta Q pigtail had a notice to not install because it is for interlock only whatever that means. The previous Delta Q had the green wire connected. Even anyway I made the installation and the charger appeared to be working. however, when I disconnected the charger, there was no Activity on the display and no electronic devices worked and yes the master switch was on. What do I do next? Thank you for your previous replies assemblyrequired!

Yep- That is a scary message on the end of that wire. They just don’t want you to hook it up wrong. In their infinite wisdom they chose the use the color green as the interlock wire. Being Green, out of reflex most people hook it to Batt Neg or Chassis Gnd. Either place os WRONG.
In the unplugged state, that wire should have B+ (+72v) on it.

In your case- (your car being a 2005) needs to use this wire hooked to that other green wire now floating around without a home.

This is why your car is not moving. I bet you see a little yellpw plug on your dash screen?

1 Like

Yes. Indeed the charge plug is asking for connection!

I re-read your email as we are outside and have guests. I read it out loud because it so funny! You told me the answer and I can’t wait to try it. Thank you again so much I owe you a lot so let’s figure out what I’m gonna do for you lol I know you’re an electrical engineer or some other form of genius!!!

I connected the Green wire from the Delta Q to the green wire like the old Delta Q charger. It did take away the yellow charge icon once or twice the display went on. There is no power however and the dash display is typically not lit. When the charger is plugged in the dash display shows full.

U less you have another idea…Have you heard of a gem expert in phoenix?

Can you explain this statement with a bit more detail?

Verify that when the charger is plugged in, the yellow charge Icon appears on the dash. Then when charger is unplugged the yellow icon goes out.

And you are saying the key does not light up the dash?

Can you give a bit more background to what might have led up to this?
Why did you feel like you needed to replace the charger?
When was the last time this car was working properly?
Do you have a meter?
What is the condition of your batteries? Ignore the dash display for now. I am more interested in a direct read of pack status.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I would like to wait to answer your questions until tomorrow morning. Yes, the display was dark when I turned on the key lit when I had the charger plugged in however, after charging the batteries for three hours the car with the charger not plugged in at least gave me an error code 15 and it lit display. It even slowly move just a little bit like 30 feet, but I had to push it back into the garage lol. I put chargers on each of the four easily accessible batteries and had them charged up to around 12 V per my digital charger. Let me get back to you tomorrow and I really appreciate it!

Going at the batteries with an external charger is probably a good guess/step in the right direction, but it is super important to hit them all. It is best for all batteries to be about the same V before you start the onboard charger. If not, the high batteries will overcharge before the low batteries get a chance to finish.

If all batteries come up and maintain the same voltage without further boosting, then you can plug in the onboard DQ to see if it will kick in. Entire pack voltage needs to be above 68v (11.4v) or the DQ will not attempt a charge cycle.

Guessing/shotgunning like this also contaminates the crime scene. It makes things difficult to diagnose the sequence of events and form a proper repair path.

FYI- A code 15 on your display is a low power error. The controller checks on power up and found less than 68.3V on the Pack inputs. This is in direct conflict with what you see on the dash display and is why we need a second opinion (need for a direct read on the batteries and controller).

Follow so far?

Think so. I will charge the two far back batteries tonight and get a voltimeter reading tomorrow.

It sat in the garage during the summer in phoenix so charging makes sense. This is the cart you caught me diagnosed last May and help me figure out that it was likely the charger. Ordered a new Delta Q from Pete’s golf carts and had it programmed correctly. I think I then left Arizona and returned to Washington so that added to the problems.