Bad Delta Q

My Delta Q (2005 Gem 2eS) went belly up… red light flashes repeatedly. Of course, Delta Q won’t repair, Polaris isn’t responsive and GEM has been handcuffed by Polaris. So, I need to a) find someone to repair this charger or b) replace with some other type charger.
I removed the charger from the car, but now it won’t allow the motor to run saying it is plugged in! How do I over ride this? And, who can repair Delta Q or what other manufacturer would be a good replacement?

[QUOTE=teosails;10342]My Delta Q (2005 Gem 2eS) went belly up… red light flashes repeatedly. Of course, Delta Q won’t repair, Polaris isn’t responsive and GEM has been handcuffed by Polaris. So, I need to a) find someone to repair this charger or b) replace with some other type charger.
I removed the charger from the car, but now it won’t allow the motor to run saying it is plugged in! How do I over ride this? And, who can repair Delta Q or what other manufacturer would be a good replacement?[/QUOTE]

I had a Delta Q charger failure about 3 years ago. It was a new item that I installed on a Bigman (48V). I was informed (unofficially) that there was a known soldering issue. This information allowed me to fix the problem and continue to use the charger. I have recently sold this vehicle so I don’t have access to the charger. After considerable search, however, I found the hand written notes I took at the time. They are as follows: 1) remove charger from vehicle, 2) remove 8 screws on top, 3) remove 3 bottom screws that secure the AC panel, 4) loosen the AC input panel and rotate 90 degrees to access the PC board, 5) locate the current shunt wire located where the PC board meets the LED board, 6) there is a limited amount of solder on one end of the wire (I resoldered both ends). Scrape the conformal coating until the wire is shiny and solder with 60/40 resin core, 7) reassemble by re-rotating the AC panel and install the bottom center screw until flush then complete the assembly.

I, of course, don’t know that this is your issue, but I pass it on for whatever value it may have for you. Good luck.

The one in our 2005 quit a few years ago. My advice: Get rid of that Chinese made POS and replace it with a Quick Charge model SCO7210. See image below of junk Delta-Q chargers.

• very simple to program
  • displays status and percent of charge (no silly blinking lights to figure out)
  • about half the price
  • much better and faster customer service and technical support
  • off the shelf product (this means any Quick Charge dealer will repair it for you)
  • made in US

Please read my post on this product. Buy direct from Quick Charge and save $150 over what Ride For Fun charges.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-electric-vehicles-hev/2624-quick-charge-charger-conversion-2005-gem.html

Daniel

If you are asking if the GEM can be driven with the charger removed, it can. Look in the service manual for the battery charger interlock wiring and jump the two wires together. Then you can charge your batteries externally and continue to drive the GEM while the charger is out. We have done this in emergencies or when a charger is out for service. See my post on off board charging.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-electric-vehicles-hev/2623-gem-emergency-off-board-charging-modification.html

Daniel

I am going to second what 1Step said. I have a 2005 Gem E4 and the Delta Q charger stopped working a couple of years ago. I don’t remember all the details but very similar to the discussion above from 1Step. I called the Delta Q people and actually got a repair guy to tell me it was a known problem, and told me the number of the resistor (or jumper) that was suspect. When I opened it up, that part looked fine, but I re-soldered both ends and put it all back together. Been working fine for over 2 years now. Took a couple of hours total. Well worth the cost savings to do it yourself! Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;10383]If you are asking if the GEM can be driven with the charger removed, it can. Look in the service manual for the battery charger interlock wiring and jump the two wires together. Then you can charge your batteries externally and continue to drive the GEM while the charger is out. We have done this in emergencies or when a charger is out for service. See my post on off board charging.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-electric-vehicles-hev/2623-gem-emergency-off-board-charging-modification.html

Daniel[/QUOTE]

As I look at the schematic I see 4 wire connections off the interlock. I know there is a green wire on the charger… I am really confused. What two wires get jumpered together and where do I find these wires?

Give Jason a call at 352-376-6275. He can get you a charger that is way better than Delta-Q for a similar price.

Justin
Road Rat Motors

[quote=1step;10345]I had a Delta Q charger failure about 3 years ago. It was a new item that I installed on a Bigman (48V). I was informed (unofficially) that there was a known soldering issue. This information allowed me to fix the problem and continue to use the charger. I have recently sold this vehicle so I don’t have access to the charger. After considerable search, however, I found the hand written notes I took at the time. They are as follows: 1) remove charger from vehicle, 2) remove 8 screws on top, 3) remove 3 bottom screws that secure the AC panel, 4) loosen the AC input panel and rotate 90 degrees to access the PC board, 5) locate the current shunt wire located where the PC board meets the LED board, 6) there is a limited amount of solder on one end of the wire (I resoldered both ends). Scrape the conformal coating until the wire is shiny and solder with 60/40 resin core, 7) reassemble by re-rotating the AC panel and install the bottom center screw until flush then complete the assembly.

I, of course, don’t know that this is your issue, but I pass it on for whatever value it may have for you. Good luck.[/quote]

The tricky part is to remove the charger from a Zenn. Start by removing the Zeus on each side of the bumper attached to the fenders (black plastic round) - use a drill and discard. Then get a bungy to restraint the top of the bumper and grill assembly and unhook the grill from the frame. The remaining two ties at the bottom don’t have to be removed.

There are 3 plugs you have to unhook: 2 near the hood hook and one below the battery rack (110V). The 110V plug is also the same as a plug used to plug in a monitor or a desktop. You could use a wire like that to test your repair later.

Unplug the RED positive from no. 1 battery (passenger side) for obvious safety reasons.

Once you have the Delta-Q on your work bench. You remove all the screws on the side with the wording inscribed, flip over and remove the 3 screws from the side where the 110V wire goes in. Then, by applying pressure sideways, the side panel should move and you will be able to rotate the panel, giving you access to the shunt area. The shunt is aluminum color, parallel to the LED panel. You’ll probably see discolored solder. Scratch it to have it shiny again.

Use a butane welder and a drop of solder. That should do the trick. After re-assembly, I tested and it worked just like new. I went out for a drive and had lots of energy. Recharged overnite and it got fully recharged. Should have done this many months ago. I kept having blinking yellow lite on the 1 bar lite. Now, on initial charge, it goes to the 6 bar lite and stays on steady.

If you ever have that problem, try tapping lightly on the top of Delta Q, if you see a movement of lights up to 6 bars and back to the 1 bar lite blinking again, that’s the indication that you have a loose solder.

Louis

1 Like