What do you like best?

I was planning to go with Optima yellow tops but I am curious to see what others have used and which ones are liked and unliked.

Ok im starting to really lean twards the Exide Orbitals. Im just not sure which of these is the best for the job Heres a link to them. Im thinking the Deep cycle marine battery with the blue top.

I’m surprised you’re not getting more help. Well, not really. So far we have a bunch of people who are thinking of building EV’s (like me) and not many who have.

ya i figure this place just needs more posts. If we start them up then more interested parties will join in. I belong to a bunch of forums such as VWVortex, and jeepforum. they have a lot more members but I think it is simply because they have more owners. As more people get electric powered vehicles more will need advice and more will stumble on to this place.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Jack the R;764]I’m surprised you’re not getting more help. Well, not really. So far we have a bunch of people who are thinking of building EV’s (like me) and not many who have.[/QUOTE]
True. And even though I’m now driving my conversion, I’ve only used one type of battery. I’m using cheap Exide golf cart batts. Currently the orbitals are top of my list for a new pack.

New user!!! this is my first post ever. so if it’s a Noob question just show me the link to the answer, and i’ll learn my place.

http://www.powerstream.com/NiMHP.htm

but are these any good? they seem to be a good compromise between PbA cheapness and Lithium expensiveness? am i missing something?

I mean, you would basically be running the car on a bunch of glorified “D” batteries … but it’s designed as a golf cart replacement and golf batteries are the current norm right? I used NiMh in my Wii controllers and they work 5 time better than NiCad.

Anyway, let me know.

… … I don’t think these cells will discharge quick enough.

I may have answered my own question.

My EV, a Zenn with a 72 volt system, uses six 12 volt AGM batteries. Being AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries, they are sealed and can be positioned in just about any orientation without concerns about spillage or hydrogen emissions - even when they are being charged.

Yes, they are still lead acid batteries and as such, allow the EV to loose much of its range in cold winter weather - unless they are kept warm with 110 volt electric battery blankets (or kept warm by some other method) while the vehicle is parked at home.