Question: Optima marine deep cycle good for EV?

Has anyone ever used Optima AGM deep cycle (blue top) batteries for an EV ?
I have had great luck as far as reliability for boats and cars, but not sure if they are good for the demands of a 72 volt EV system…

This question will get you many answers. It’s kinda like asking what is the best oil for your gasser. :slight_smile:
If you have deep pockets get the GEM replacements or Trojan GC golf cart batteries. Marine style deep cells are not designed for the punishment the GEM will give them. Expect about 2-3 years on them… some go longer. I went with “industrial” style Interstate brand batteries. They are used in fork trucks and they also supply the local colleges & municipalities GEM orders. They are not optimal, but they are better than a marine style. Cost me about $120 each at my local Interstate warehouse. Sure beats the $250ish for real GEM’s.

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;13946]This question will get you many answers. It’s kinda like asking what is the best oil for your gasser. :slight_smile:
If you have deep pockets get the GEM replacements or Trojan GC golf cart batteries. Marine style deep cells are not designed for the punishment the GEM will give them. Expect about 2-3 years on them… some go longer. I went with “industrial” style Interstate brand batteries. They are used in fork trucks and they also supply the local colleges & municipalities GEM orders. They are not optimal, but they are better than a marine style. Cost me about $120 each at my local Interstate warehouse. Sure beats the $250ish for real GEM’s.[/QUOTE]

the Interstate batteries you mention, are they the group 31 industrial ? I would like to save a little cash if possible without sacrificing battery range. Heard the 31’s are good for this application.
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, that what I have. I was able to get a few “blemish” batteries for $40. I didn’t even know they sold blemish batteries. Next time I am in the market for some new batts I will inquire ahead of time about the blemish ones. They had 2 skids of them the week before I showed up. I got the last 2. Do you have an Interstate warehouse nearby? They will test them all for free.
The group 31’s work well, but they are not the best choice, just the cheaper option. Some guys have run the regular marine style and replace them under warranty before it runs out.