2005 Gem

my name is Johnny I recently purchased a 2005 E2 Gem it had regular deep cycle boat batteries in it , it ran good for a few miles then had to replace switch and key is it suitable to use deep cell boat batteries without damage and good response? if not please advise what to use please,I am lost on what to do , thank you for any information, Johnny:(

If your on flat ground MDC31 Marine Deep Cycle size 31 are an acceptable alternative to the more expensive purpose built golf cart batteries. With proper care. You should experience 3 years* of service out of them. I suggest those supplied by East Pen under many brand names. $95 each at Orilleys, Sams,etc.

hi Old Houseboater I thank you so much ,!!I am on a hilly sort of place could you recommend batteries similar in price that would do in that situation? please or is that my only choice $ wise??do not drive long at all before able to charge ,so these may do fine??

If you can recharge at 12 or 13 miles your ok. I assume you have stock tires and wheels.

In hilly country I always suggest GC batteries. I’m on flat ground so MDC31’s work fine for me and I get good range.

If you plan on keeping the cart for 4 years GC batteries are a good investment.

not too savey on these cars sorry what is gc battery?if I wanted most mileage from a deep cycle battery which # would I look at ? at somewhere in same price?I am on east coast and cannot find the mdc31 deep cycle batt. by East Penn but we have no one here to help? you sound like you know your stuff!!I really hope I am not bothering you too much just had a switch and T handle installed and said only batt. would b $1200. I cannot do this on a very fixed income but it came with deep cycle batt and ran for about an hour and said switch went out???I really enjoyed that hour ride and love to do again ,I hope? Thank you so much for your Help Johnnydollar

GC means Golf Cart

Battery and switch are unrelated problems

MDC31 is a generic term for Marine Deep Cycle batteries,

At SAMS CLUB they are Dura Cell Marine model #29HM, at Orillie Auto parts they are Super Start Marine Deep Cycle model 31DCM. $95 each

If you rode for an hour it doesnt sound like your batteries are that far gone.

Maybe you could give us a more detailed report of your problem.

Hi,I bought this cart and it had no keys so I found a key? that turned the switch on and it ran for about an hour and quit,I took it to a chrysler place that said they was the best ( only one ?) and if I used wrong key it would mess up my ignition ,so had to leave sitting with new marine batteries in it,they replaced switch ,key,and turn handle ?? and said I left batteries sit too long and they went bad?so charged $500 for ignition and said it took special batteries,at the price of $1200, not to use deep cycle marine batteries, thatis why I am confused on batteries, I did read if I used gel batt. my charger would have to be changed? I ordered a manual for 2005 and sent wrong book did not offer 2005 book? Chrysler place said a set of batteries and I would be good ,this is what I am hoping?for around $500,I found hover round gel batteries for $100 ea. but again charger wilt work ,so use the type you are talking about, or a little better if they would last a few more miles? Thank you so much for your time and patients Johnnydollar

Hi sorry I meant $600 or so on batteries,my mistake johnny

1 What is turn handle?

2 How long did batteries set?

3 Do you have a copy of your bill you could email me? GEM ignition switches are expensive but not $500

4 How old are the batteries?

5 What is the status of the car now.

6 do you have access to a regular 12 volt car charger?

Facts: When batteries set too long they lose their charge, The charger in your GEM needs batteries to have some charge or it won’t start. Many times charging each battery with a 12 volt charger will put enough charge to get the GEM charger to start.

The GEM charger was set up for gel batteries, Different battery types need to be charged with specific Algorithms (programs) The previous owner may have changed the algorithm to fit the flooded marine batteries or he may not. It’s not a big deal to change the algorithm (5 minutes).

The dealer is following company policy by recommending Gels, AGM’s or Golf Cart rated conventional flooded batteries. MDC batteries are a lesser grade unit designed for a different type of service. All that being said they are half the price and will perform adequately for 3+ years if charged after each use and kept watered.

Hi,This is exactly what is on invoice;#1-10 doz; driveability
c/s batteries new turn key and nothing happens
work performed by Scott Neeley------------------------$255
INSTALLED 3906-00017 ;T/ HANDLE SWITCH----$175
REPLACED IGNITION SWITCH AND KEYS
SUB TOTAL $430 /WITH BATTERIES–$1578.50
#2-BATTERIES SET 2YR.
#4 2 YRS,OLD
#5JUSTOUT OF SHOP BATTERIES DEAD ?
#6-YES I HAVE REGULAR CHARGER ,AND A SLOW CHARGER
DONT KNOW WHAT ALGORITHMS CHARGER IS ON ?JUST WHEN I GOT IT HAD MARINE BATTERIES IN IT UNLESS ILDERTON DODGE IN HIGH POINT N.C CHANGED IT??? SO WHAT EVER YOU THINK??GET NEW BATTERIES FIRST ?AND GO FROM THERE???THANKS, JOHNNY

Ok You have $175 for parts and $255 labor.

1 Water and charge each battery individually . Then plug in the charger and see if it will charge the pack.

1. If the pack will charge take the cart for a ride.

3 Recharge the pack

4 Let it set overnight and in the morning read total pack voltage and individual battery voltage. come back with the result.

If you get this far we will talk about charger set up.

Ok will do ,will charge and see ,then getback to you ,thanks,johnny