2002 e825 Gem Battery questions

I am new to the forum and came here for some advice on batteries.
I bought a 2002 E825 last year and am now having battery trouble. The cart has optima yellow top batteries in it. I have asked at my local parts store and they have 12v golf cart batteries for $99 made by Penn - the yellow top optima batteries run $229 - and 12v Trojan golf cart batteries run $240.

Which will work best in this ?

Penn makes the DEKA brand and they’re known to be good batteries. Are they AGM or flooded-cell batteries from Penn?

If switching from the Optima gell batteries (I think) to flooded cell, you need to change the setting under the cap at the top left corner of the charger to position E or F depending on amp-hour rating of the new batteries.

The easy answer is always “you get what ya pay for”. Frankly I’ve been advised against AGM maintenance free batteries in deep cycle application. Flooded acid batteries do require vigilant inspection to maintain water level but are generally cheaper.

I currently run flooded lead acid and am considering changing to LiFePO4 cells. From what I’m reading online so far I may be pioneering the use of this technology in Gem NEV’s based solely on the lack of any feedback I’ve received across a broad group of forums so far.

“Genuine” GC-12 flooded-cell batteries will probably be OK but watch out for thinly disguised group-31 starting batteries or combination starting/deep-cycle types. They will not last nor will they have the capacity and run-time of the genuine article.

Personally, I used Exide marine deep-cycle because that’s what I could afford and got the best deal on. Jury is out on how well they perform since this is the first few miles I’ve put on the GEM with them. We’ll see.

[QUOTE=bob.peloquin;15003]
Personally, I used Exide marine deep-cycle because that’s what I could afford and got the best deal on. [/QUOTE]

Bob,

Would those be the Nautilus batteries?

Craig

Yup. We’ll see how they last but they seem OK with the few miles and short trips I’ve put on them. Not to hijack the thread but they were more expensive than group-31 starting batteries and less expensive than Sam’s Club GC-12’s.

I switched from Gel batteries to flooded deep cycle marine about a year ago and they are working fine. I looked at reprogramming my charger but the DEKA Gel profile was so close to the deep cycle marine that I left it alone. I am in a hot, humid climate. The charging time, top speed and range of my 2005 e4 are the same now as before I switched. The only difference is the flooded batteries were less than half the cost of the Gels.

I recently installed Trojan T-875 150Ap Hour rating and have been very pleased with the performance. The batteries are a tight fit but a little cuting on the front lip of the seat about 3/4 inch makes the installation a snap

A year ago I would have said marines batteries would be fine. They are… if you are using the car for short trips and have not tuned the controller up for more performance. But they will not stand the excessive current draw of a hot controller. I like flooded batteries because you can do more things to revive them. The GC12s have increased a few dollars at Sam’s and they will bend you over for 6 of them… about $1200. But they have the greatest capacity for a battery of their size. I often go out for a 5 mile ride and come back with the indicator reading 100. If it is cool out they still will be in the high 90% of charge. I think they are 155 AH and will supply 75 amps for 77 mins. which is awesome. They are heavy at 90 lbs. each and getting them in below the seat is a chore. You will need to modify the strapping to hold them in place.

[QUOTE=chuckkent;15075]A year ago I would have said marines batteries would be fine. They are… if you are using the car for short trips and have not tuned the controller up for more performance. But they will not stand the excessive current draw of a hot controller. I like flooded batteries because you can do more things to revive them. The GC12s have increased a few dollars at Sam’s and they will bend you over for 6 of them… about $1200. But they have the greatest capacity for a battery of their size. I often go out for a 5 mile ride and come back with the indicator reading 100. If it is cool out they still will be in the high 90% of charge. I think they are 155 AH and will supply 75 amps for 77 mins. which is awesome. They are heavy at 90 lbs. each and getting them in below the seat is a chore. You will need to modify the strapping to hold them in place.[/QUOTE]

So tell me what to do to the charger and or controller after installing GC12s. Thanks kenny

Just make sure the switch on the Zivan charger is set to the flooded battery position. See picture… I set the field limit to 70.(you will need a handset from Marlon) This will give you a top speed of around 32 mph with 12 inch tires on an e825. This is about the max speed without over reving the motor. Most GEM motors are turning 4100 rpm at 23-25 mph.(that is their rated speed) If you want to go faster, I would recommend buying one of Marlon’s 6 to 1 gear sets. You can set the controller to get near 40 mph but the motor will be turning 7000 rpm. (not good!!!)