Welcome to EV Forum

Hello,

deucestudios
I’m very new to EVs in general, but I’m a pretty decent hack mechanic if I do say so myself.
I have a 2WD, 1983 Mail Jeep, I’ve removed the motor & manual transmission.
Also, I’ve sourced a pair of 4WD axles.
I can’t help but get the thought of making it into an electric drive out of my head.
It would be so much nicer to drive off road, in quiet, with no emissions.
I would be trailiering it to any off road destination, so range is not a major concern.
Nor is speed, actually the lower gear ratio the better. 20mph could be the top speed.
The bouncing/jarring of the liquid batteries concerns me though…
I have just begun acquiring parts & information, and I’ll be reading a bunch of the info posted here.
If/when I do decide to go 100% electric, I’ll start a build thread.

Until then, hello all, and thank you for starting this forum and the info it contains…

get the best of both worlds take out the rear wheel drive shaft of a 4wd and put an electrical drive with a clutch so that in good terrain just front wheel drive in rough, both drives and on the road to the play area the front gas powered drive
a hybrid at fraction of the cost
and in town electric rear only till the batteries run down get nome on the front petrol powered drive

Hi folks,

Just checking in - thanks for having me!

Thank you for the welcome. I am new to the forum but not new to thinking about alternative energy. I just heard this evening on the news that the CEO of Audi said that “electric cars were for idiots, or those who wanted to feel superior”. The reason being that charging the batteries is done largely by power from coal fired power plants, which presumably emit more CO2 than petrol. I don’t know about the fine points, but I have long believed that the only benefit of electrics is in reducing urban pollution. Until our electric generation is largely non fossil fuel, to include nuclear, electrics will have no impact on CO2 output. I think that in the situation we are in today that hybrids make much more sense. Just my thoughts.

just joined today… Hello
I have a company of limousine in San Diego, my dream is to open a real green limo company… that’s why I’m here… Check out what people can do with their cars to make them green

YouTube - ‪GGTelectric1’s Channel‬‏

Hi Everyone,

I’m Gene, a retired American living in the Philippines. I’ve been assigned as a moderator on this great site.

As well as moderating, I’ll be reading many of the posts in the attempt to learn what I can that might help where we live in the islands.

If there are any difficulties, problems, or questions, please feel free to send my a private message any time;).

Gene…

Stopping in here on the welcome page to say hello. I’m Ken, the founder of a new not for profit organization that’s working to educate and install EV charging stations at schools across the country.

We haven’t really technically “launched” yet - so as you all might guess I’m here to keep abreast of what’s happening in the EV community and hopefully to raise a little awareness for our organization.

Thx

[QUOTE=schoolcharging;9178]Stopping in here on the welcome page to say hello. I’m Ken, the founder of a new not for profit organization that’s working to educate and install EV charging stations at schools across the country.

We haven’t really technically “launched” yet - so as you all might guess I’m here to keep abreast of what’s happening in the EV community and hopefully to raise a little awareness for our organization.

Thx[/QUOTE]
[B]Hi Ken,

Welcome to the site. There is lots of good information floating around here. It will be good to have your input and ideas.

Gene…
[/B]

[QUOTE=Gene;9182][B]Hi Ken,

Welcome to the site. There is lots of good information floating around here. It will be good to have your input and ideas.

Gene…
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Gene… Going to spend a little time further exploring the site this week, especially if it staying rainy and wet up here in New England.

Ken

[QUOTE=schoolcharging;9193]Thanks Gene… Going to spend a little time further exploring the site this week, especially if it staying rainy and wet up here in New England.

Ken[/QUOTE]
[B]Yea, sounds like a good indoor activity. Seems you all are getting some wild weather over there.
Weather is going nuts here in the Philippines too. Ah well, at least it helps keep it cooler here.

Gene
[/B]

Been going back and forth between using ICE and a EV with a generator. Will use the advise off of this forum to make my decision.

In the left corner, hailing from Meridianville, AL and weighing in at around 200 lbs, the heavyweight champion of the world, CHOZIAN!

<crowd goes wild>

I kid, I kid … 8)

I found this site by searching for electric scooter forums on Google. I thought I’d come check it out to expand my reach with the community.

I’ve been in the custom ride ons hobby for a little under 1 1/2 years now (toy ride ons). It is a great stress reliever and my children love it. I have around 35 toy ride on vehicles, 7 electric recreational scooters, 1 mobility scooter, and 1 electric mini motorcycle. Not only do my children enjoy riding Power Wheels, but I do too! :stuck_out_tongue:

I host the Custom Ride Ons (CRO) site and am a moderator on the Modified Power Wheels forums. I occasionally drop into the Modified Electric Scooters forums as well.

I’m looking forward to reading about the mods on here and to contribute where I can.

Hi sparkplug here,

wanted to say a big jolt to all and glad to be here

Thanks for the warm well come and also hope the great support and exchange of information about the cars is also expected.

:first:Hello,
we are here to promote an idea of Electric Vehicles in which we strongly believe. The trend towards this awsome technology is very strong these days. New EV models are coming to the market soon. The world vehicles is changing day by day.
Hope to have good questions and answers in this forum.

Thanks for the Welcome.

I am looking at converting a gas ‘gusler’ into an EV. But at this point I want to inform myself as much as possible until I have accumulated enough funds to do so. I am hoping that I will find some know how in these forums.

Hi SpeedGazer, 200km=124.27mi. Unfortunately, conventional cars don`t make good electric cars. About one third of the car will need to be lithium batteries.Also, you should charge and monitor each cell. Not easy.
Tom Sines
Electric EVette

[QUOTE=unique electric car;9992]Hi SpeedGazer, 200km=124.27mi. Unfortunately, conventional cars don`t make good electric cars. About one third of the car will need to be lithium batteries.Also, you should charge and monitor each cell. Not easy.
Tom Sines
Electric EVette[/QUOTE]

So what do you suggest. Building a car from the ground up looks to be something that would prove to be to expensive and I will need to be an engineer of all trades. Electrical, Mechanical and whats more it has taken a lokal guy 3 years to get a car built from the ground up and they will only be launching it in 2015. I don’t want to wait that long. My fuel bill is to much as it is. So if it means I have to buy a small bakkie (pick-up) to haul the batteries then so be it. I’m sure I’m not the first with such an idea.

Hi Speed Gazer, No, What Im saying is conventional cars and pickups cant easily be made to go 123mi. on a charge.They cant hold enough batteries, and when you do try to put more batteries in them you will put them in places you shouldnt. Not good.
Tom Sines:D
Electric EVette

HI,
New here. Love the possiblity of going electric. However, I am an arborist, so I use chainsaws all day every day. And my best chainsaw is a two stroke blue smoke spewing beast. When I am 40 feet above someones lawn, I don’t need to be worring about a cord or battery. Having a full tank is trouble enough.
If electric cars are as workable as gas ones, why are electric chainsaws so absolutely useless?