Unique electric car

[QUOTE=unique electric car;8804]Hi Piersdad, I agree, conventional electric cars , shouldn`t have more than 1/3 their weight in batteries. However, the electric EVette is not a conventional electric car. So, let me repeat my question. If a 2,000lbs vehicle with 1,000lbs of batteries(3,000lbs total) will go 100mi. ,then 1,000lbs vehicle with 2,000lbs of batteries (3,000lbs total) will go 200mi. Do you agree?
Tom Sines:D
Electric EVette[/QUOTE]

no
over 1/3 battery weight you are not carrying the passengers you are carrying the batteries.
take an extreeme 90% battery 10 % passenger
only nasa does that with their rockets

Hi Piersdad, I`m not sure you understand the question. Let me put it another way. If a 3,000lbs car, with 1,000lbs of batteries in it will go 100mi. Then a 3,000lbs car, with 2,000lbs of batteries in it will go 200mi. Do you agree?
Electric EVette

[QUOTE=unique electric car;8806]Hi Piersdad, I`m not sure you understand the question. Let me put it another way. If a 3,000lbs car, with 1,000lbs of batteries in it will go 100mi. Then a 3,000lbs car, with 2,000lbs of batteries in it will go 200mi. Do you agree?
Electric EVette[/QUOTE]

no the batteries will take some 250 watts per say 50 kg to cart them along the road the more weight the more power to cart them
you dont double the range with double the batteries
i would expect approx 150 mi at the most
been there done that-- dont work-

on top of the battery extra weight there is bigger tires. heavier suspension. extra battery box etc even larger axel stubs more electronics
extra crash protection.
as well the cost per mile will escalate due to the immense cost of the batteries.
back in the 80s an electric motor cycle using silver zinc batteries broke the world speed record.
my calculation for just the single speed run was for $100 in battery deteriation as the very expensive set of batteries that then cost $2000
and had a life of 200 cycles .
there has to be a ballancing act with battery weigh
taking the life cycle-weight-range-cost- to get the least cost per mile.
even the weight of your battery cable size as against the watts lost in them has an influence on range.
[I]i even made a programme that calculated for any car the size of the cables[/I]
heavy cables no watts lost from resistance- watts lost due to weight
light cables many watts lost due to resistance- tiny loss from weight of cables
[B]all weight is the enemy of power used and efficiency[/B]

Hi Piersdad, Im suprised, you dont understand the question. This not a question about the decreasing efficiency of more batteries. This is a straight forward question about weight. If two cars have the same total weigh, and one car has twice the battery power, it will go twice the distance.
Electric EVette

please understand i have been there and you cant double your range with double your batterys.
i have actually tried it and after building 5 experimental and 9 comercial trucks.
ther is an economical limit to the battery load

take the extreem if you had all batteries and no car would you have unlimited range

Hi Piersdad, You still don`t understand my question. We disagree. However, lets talk about maneuverability.The electric EVette can make a180% turn on a narrow road with just a flick of the wrist. For a conventional car, thats a three point turn. Compared to the electric EVette a conventional car drives like a tank.
Electric EVette

[new subject
if one of your rear wheels motor dies or has a small glitch does it cause it to steer to its side as would happen to a wheel chair or is the front wheel steering.
at high speed what happens to the rear wheel steering if the road edge is very rough and the wheel hits a pot hole or rough ground.
if the front wheel does not do the steering then the entire car is very risky to use by public and would never be accepted by both public of the engineering people.
i service wheel chairs and if one side wheel does not work properly then the chair becomes un steerable

Hi Piersdad, Driving the EVette is a unique experience, not at all like driving a conventional car. I can go into a full turn or out of one, in less than a second. Also, at higher speeds inertia takes over, and the car wants to go straight, the more battery weight the better. And the 37`` all-terrain tires will go over almost anything, no problem. The car also has a computer. Did I mention, its a lot of fun to drive!
Electric EVette

it might be a lot of fun to drive and thats it (just a toy)
unless there is dual positive steering it will never be accepted.
in power steering on todays cars there is mechanical back up.
and even the universals in the steering collum will still work if the bearings collapse(a bit wonky though.)
so unless the steering has a back up system that has absolutley positive steering even if the computor blows a fuse or a rear motor dies you will never get it past the first hurdle of getting it accepted by public.
so unless the front wheel is locked into straight ahead (or steering)and mechanically driven the danger to other road users is extreem.

the solution would to have mechanical steering of the front that also joystick steers the rear wheels via the computor so if some thing happens to the motors -computor you still have steering. and can pull over with out doing a donut in the middle of a freeway

Hi Piersdad, Its the best toy, Ive ever drove. I understand your apprehension, new ways of doing things can be scary at first. The EVette does have back up steering, no problem. Also, front wheel steering is not a good idea. It is a major cause of accidents for three wheel motorcycles, when the motorcycle turns, the front wheel will cause the vehicle to flip over, because it is locked in place. Bad news. When Henry Ford came along, with his gas car, people thought he was nuts to, but you havent any horse and buggys lately have you?
Electric EVette

Hi, The EVette can hold as much as 2,000lbs of batteries. The EVette steers electronically, so all the things a car normally uses to steer are not there. This includes, two front tires and rims, a full suspension, springs,shocks,ball joints,tie rods,steering wheel,power steering unit,and the frame to hold it up. I use that weight to put more batteries in the car.
Make the car fit the batteries, don`t try to make the batteries fit the car. By the way, this car has a heavy suspension and its built like a battering ram.
Electric EVette

Hi, Gas will be $4 dollars a gallon soon. Cars are very expensive, insurance is to. Less than 1% of the cars on the road are electric. A sad situation. The electric EVette can be built very inexpensively, it can hold far more batteries than a conventional electric car, and yet nobody seems to be able to figure that out. I guess, people just want to spend all their money buying expensive cars , and gas.
Electric EVette

Hi, My experiments have shown, the electric EVette can be made robotic. No more drunk driving, no more cell phone abuse. And still, nobody says a word, amazing!
Electric EVette

Hi,
Let me repeat my claims. 1, the EVette will hold a lot more batteries than an electric conversion. Because, it steers electronically none of the things a conventional electric car uses to steer are there anymore. That saves a lot of weight. 2, the EVette can out maneuver a conventional car, hands down. Thats obvious. 3, the EVette can drive by computer, thats not so obvious, but true. Any questions?
Electric EVette

Hi, About safety, the EVette does not have a steering wheel, all conventional cars do. In a crash the steering wheel is your worst enemy. In addition, in an electric conversion to get any distance you will often put batteries in the trunk, back seat (so nobody can sit there), and under the hood above the motor. These batteries are too high, making it a rollover waiting to happen. The batteries in the EVette are placed at low center of gravity, making it much more unlikely to rollover.
Electric EVette

Hi, I think Ill wait till gas is $7 a gal, that shouldnt take too long, then I should have the interstate all to myself.
Electric EVette

Hi, Maneuverability in tight places is not a good thing for the conventional car. To make a u-turn on a two lane street, you will have to make a 3 point turn. The electric EVette can do it with one easy move in just a few seconds, and save energy too. No doubt you have heard people say my car turns of a dime, well a conventional car really can`t turn on a dime, its not possible, however, the electric EVette can easily turn on a dime as many times as you want. As for parking, well to park a conventional car can be a real pain in the neck, of course the electric EVette can be parked very easily. The electric EVette can be seen at electricevette.com I happen to be a great fan of Henry Ford and I even have his picture in my kitchen for inspiration. He changed the world from the horse and buggy to the automobile and now it may be time for the world to change again.
Electric EVette

Just out of curiosity: wouldnā€™t be better for stability to have an ā€œinverted trikeā€ I mean, two front wheels and one hind wheel? I drove a Piaggio Ape-car sometimes and it was no nice feeling when the rear wheel inside the curve lifted upā€¦
Drive by wire would call serious problems homologating it in Europe, something similar to what Bimota did with its ā€œTesiā€ would be more suitable, but it would be a mechanical connection, I donā€™t know haw hard would the steering be.
Nice vehicle indeed!

Hi Duca, With two wheels in front, and one in back you have the risk of a fishtail condition, not good. Airplanes have been flying by wire for years, why not cars? The electric EVette steers electronically, the front wheel does not steer the the car, nor is it a major load bearing wheel. Also, its exceptionally maneuverable, and fun to drive.
Electric EVette

Hi unique, thank you for prompt answer.
Can you expand on the concept of ā€œfishtail conditionā€? Do you mean it could start an oscillation left-right? This is new to me, thank you.
So you steer by regulating the speed of each driving wheel? I assume the front wheel is pivoting somehow? Interesting concept.