What the EV manufacturers need to concentrate on

I see all of these new cars that are, or will soon be, in production.

TESLA ROADSTER -
130 MPH plus
0 - 60 in 4 seconds

What are they thinking? I know they will be coming out with a sedan soon, for less then 30k, which is good. Other companies are starting to roll out EV vehicles as well, but many of them are also on the extreme high end of the sports-car spectrum.

What I would like to see EV manufacturers concentrate on.

[ul][li][B]Speed [/B]- Most highways have a top speed limit of 70, therefore, a high speed of 85 should suffice. This will allow for passing speeds. Having a high-end, super fast 120mph - 180mph+ speed is not important.
[/li]
I’m not willing to shell out thousands of more dollars for speeds that I will never reach. That’s like paying 200 dollars for a 7 course meal at a fancy restaurant and only eating the appetizer, bread and water. Total waste of money.

[li][B]Range [/B]- This needs to increase substantially, and it will only increase with better battery technology. A range of 120 miles should be minimum. This will allow you to drive about an hour and a half.
[/li]
Currently EV cars will not suffice for long distance driving, say, for vacations or such. With an average highway driving speed of 80 MPH and an average driving time of 8-10 hours before you need to stop for an exteneded rest. 80x10 = 800. A range of 800 miles would be excellent, and 1000 even better still, although I would be very happy with a range of 500. [/ul]

I will be honest. I have not followed the EV too much, until recently, and what I have seen, it seems they have missed the target market. The poeple who are hurt the most by gasoline in this economy are NOT the ones who can afford the TESLA or other higher-end vehicles.

Instead of selling a few hundred 100k+ vehicles, they would make more money selling thousands of 30k vehicles. Just my 2 cents.

If you don’t want a sportscar then you wouldn’t want the Tesla, just like you probably wouldn’t buy a Lambo. There are different cars for different flavors and you generally can’t market a “supercar” that does less than 100mph… :wink: Just because you can’t do it on the streets doesn’t mean you can’t take it to the track, which is what a lot of people use their expensive cars for.

Not bashing your logic, I’m just saying there are other options out there for a “logical” EV

Aye. It’s just that the TESLA has been in the forefont of the news for the past few weeks. Also Ferrari and Mercedes are coming out with some high-end cars as well.

I also know that other manufactureres have promised that by 2010-2015 they will have EVs on the road. But it still seems to me that the “american desire” to have superfast cars has totally blinded the car manufacturers (and the public as well) to what we truly need. It is not speed and power. It’s reliability, safety, economical and environmentally friendly.

I suppose my main gripe with TESLA is that they targeted the high-end sportscar market before getting cars marketed to those who could use them more. Market to the majority. In todays recession economy, targeting to the elite seems to me to be a bad decision. I know that for myself, and my friends and family whom I’ve spoken to, we would sell our current vehicles and purchase an EV to avoid the high gas crunch and high maintenence costs of the gassers.

Actually, no. By targeting the elites, as you say, they are targeting those that can afford to drop 100 grand on a car without thinking about it. This establishes them as a car company. With these credentials, they can expand the line and start working on lowering costs with their suppliers. Their suppliers are not going to want to invest in infrastructure to supply a company that isn’t selling anything, but will invest to supply a company with a proven customer base. This large investment is needed by the supply chain in order to provide that 30,000 dollar sedan. GM or Ford could do it without thinking about it if they wanted to, but Tesla is just a startup company.

This is actually a pretty smart way to do it, although it means us peasants will have to wait, but also means the peasantry will get an opportunity to have one later on.

According to the Tesla website:

Just the Beginning

"While the Tesla Roadster’s sticker price is in a league with other high-performance sports cars with similar specs, we recognize it’s out of reach for a lot of people. We consciously chose to develop a high-end sports car as our first car in order to develop the “performance DNA” from which we could create other electric vehicles. Our next model will leverage the Tesla Roadster‘s technology, resulting in a less expensive sports sedan that we can sell at higher volume. "

[QUOTE=griffonwing;4151]I suppose my main gripe with TESLA is that they targeted the high-end sportscar market before getting cars marketed to those who could use them more. Market to the majority. In todays recession economy, targeting to the elite seems to me to be a bad decision. [/QUOTE]

Actually, it’s quite the opposite.

The “elite” are not impacted by the economy the same way the masses are, therefore they still have discretionary income.

Combine that with the fact that there is more profit margin in higher end product. It doesn’t matter whether you’re talking about cars, boats, multi-million dollar homes, etc., these items are inherently more valuable to the targeted customers even though the actual costs aren’t much more, and those customers have the money to spend. The Tesla fits into that mold because the design features are things that appeal to the higher end customer, making the product easier to sell at a higher price that nets profit, which enables R&D for other products. Their $30,000 sedan will be a better product because of their testing and experience with the Tesla Roadster.

I think the big thing that keeps EVs from getting off the ground is design.
The EV makers go so far to distinguish their vehicles from everything else on the road, they end up with something people don’t want to drive. Once they “get it” and start making some normal looking cars, they just might sell a few. Until then, they’re going to be reserved for painting bright gold and appearing in movies.

Corbin Sparrow - ugly as hell
Aptera - eye catching for sure, still nothing that 99% of the population would even consider driving.
most of the NEV’s - not pleasing to the eye.
Zap - somebody’s smoking crack over there with the Xebra, but the Alias and ZAP-X would be cool if they make it from vaporware to reality.

Why do you think Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Suzuki, Citroen, Peugeot and even Skoda have run or are running cars in the World Rally Championship?

It’s because high performance cars capture the public’s imagination and sell their road going versions.

Take the Peugeot in the early 80’s. The company was on its knees, with old, tired, slow and dated looking models. Then along came the 205 Turbo16, winning the World Rally Championship in 1984 and 1985. Sales of the road going 205’s went through the roof saving the company. Following rallying success with the 405, 206 and 307 Peugeot has become the company it is today.

If the marketing of high performance cars to sell the more ‘sensible’ road versions didn’t make financial sense, then the manufacturers wouldn’t do it.

EV Manufacturers like Tesla need the high performance models to establish the company so they can sell the family cars to the mass market. It’s all about association, a natural human survival instinct to be with the best. So you drive a Ford Focus, buts its pedigree is from the world rally championship.

Even little Seat Ibiza, when they hit the market. Who remembers all their back window stickers? “Formula 2000 World Rally Champions”.

Sure not everyone thinks this way, that’s the beauty of evolution! But to be in business, you need to do what is necessary to sell in order to survive the market.

I believe we are now on the eve of a breakthrough for EVs. Who knows, by 2015 we may even have an all electric Formula One car too!

What is your idea of the perfect EV?

EVs are great. Even better when charged with renewable purchased from commercial wind turbines (I’m doing it now for my home). Better still when EEStor’s EESU supercapacitors come on-line…or something equivalent from someone else giving fast charge times and massive range.

But what about the environmental impact of:
-Insanely heavy steel cars?
-Or hard to recycle bonded aluminum chassis in the Tesla? (How do you get the thermoset resins off of the Aluminum in an environmentally friendly way?)
-Or non-recyclable fibreglass in the Aptera?
-Or eco-disastrous energy intensive automotive paint (40-70% of a vehicles embodied energy by many reports)?
-Or box style cars that gorge themselves on energy at highway speeds?

Would someone please make an electric car that is:

1. A little sporty so that it is nice to look at and be seen in (please!)
  2. Low drag for highway commuting and road trips
  3. Light weight, but crash worthy
  4. Low emboddied energy during manufacture
  5. Easily recycled or reclaimed at the end of its useful life
  6. Seats 2 adults and 2 kids (or 3 adults)
  7. Some alternative to automotive paint

Acceleration should be good and city driving should be efficient since it is an EV.

What more would you ask for?
Why is this such an impossible task?
Who else out there wants something like this?
Am I alone?

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6815]
Am I alone?[/QUOTE]No you are not alone. You are like most of the uniformed public who believes in things that are not physically possible.

We have all the technology right now to make EV’s work except a battery chemistry and power generation infrastructure to support them.

Power generation is very solvable with nuclear energy. Here in the USA we have enough domestic uranium to supply all industry, commercial, residential, and light vehicle transportation for the next 4 billion years or so. We just will not use it for stupid miss-informed political and special minority interest reasons. I mean who in their right minds would want safe, clean, very cheap unlimited energy for the next 4 billions years creating millions of jobs and security? Not me I voted for Obama :smiley:

As for battery chemistry, none is known at this time that can meet the public expectations and demands. I think we are 5 to 10 years out which is just enough time to build out the power generation and distribution infrastructure.

I like the post… interesting points.

I agree with griffonwing

Penguins jerseys sex toy wholesale china Christian Louboutin affliction clothing wholesale ed hardy

Sunking,

Most utilities (especially those powered by renewable energy) have an excess of power at night, right when EVs would charge. Utilities are big proponents of EVs for the load levelling benefits possible. No extra infrastructure required.

As for battery chemistry, only time will tell which laboratory promises come true, and which don’t. A better (lighter, aerodynamic) car can make Lithium go a long way though, and that is on today’s technology, off the shelf, and getting cheaper by the boat load from China.

You never answered the question. What do you want in a car? A fusion generator like that seen in back to the future? I’m confused.

PS I have some spent nuclear waste I’d like to bury in your back yard, but only if it is ok with you.

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6827] Sunking,

Most utilities (especially those powered by renewable energy) have an excess of power at night, right when EVs would charge. Utilities are big proponents of EVs for the load levelling benefits possible. No extra infrastructure required.[/QUOTE] You are preaching to the choir I worked for a utility for 20 years before semi-retirement and opening my own AE firm which does utility design/build work. I live in TX, who is the worlds largest RE producer, and there is no RE capacity at night, the sun does not shine nor does the wind blow at night. You are correct though the US power plant does have some excess capacity to recharge EV’s at night, but they do not have the transmission capacity to deliver it. If we were to convert to EV, we would not have near enough generation or transmission capacity to get it where it is needed.

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6827]PS I have some spent nuclear waste I’d like to bury in your back yard, but only if it is ok with you. [/QUOTE]This is part of the ignorance in America, there is no spent fuel rod problems, it is politically made problem by the USA government. There is no reason to store spent fuel rods, you simply recycle then and make new rods. Ever wonder why France, a small heavily dense population, does not have a problem with spent fuel rods? It is because they take the rods, recycle the unused uranium, and use the plutonium in a plutonium breeder reactor. There is no reason to store any spent fuel rods or pebbles. Only the USA does that, no one else does.

I am a firm supporter of EV technology. I am a licensed professional engineer and know the road blocks, and for now it is batteries, none come close to meeting demands. As of now with current technology the best that can be done is about 200 wh/kg (needs to be up around 400 wh/kg or more), 30C charge/discharge rate (needs to be at least 100C, but 50C is good enough to make it work), $1000 per KWH (need to be less than $100 to compete), 1000 to 2000 cycle life @ 5 years max (needs to be 5000 @ 10 years), and the biggie is internal impedance of around 200 milli-ohms (needs to get down to less than 10 milli-ohms through its life cycle.

So you ask me what I want in an EV, I want a battery with a minimum 50 Kwh capacity, has a life span of 5000 cycles @ 10 years, can tolerate constant 100% DOD, withstand a minimum 50C charge/discharge rate, cost less than $100 per Kwh in a vehicle that gets 200 wh/mile.

I can already design a car that gets 200 wh/mile, I can buy one today, but right now there is no battery technology that can deliver the performance of what is demanded by the consuming public. 5 or 10 years from now maybe.

Sunking,

Thank you for addressing the political issue of spent nuclear fuel. I should have just asked you to do so instead of trying to be cute. I agree that it is a purely political problem (the “not in my backyard” stance of politicians). Over the weekend I was thinking that a nuclear powered car is inherently an electric car, so it is good to hear that there is a solution to the spent fuel rod problem. I will have to do some more research on the recycling of fuel rods. If there isn’t a downside, you are basically saying that all of our politicians are staring the answer to energy independence and long term national security in the face, and then looking the other way. I hope it is a workable solution since there are a lot of areas in the world without adequate renewable energy resources who will need another option. As for where I live, the wind howls at night, and the utility can’t turn down their fossil fuelled plants enough on windy nights. Some countries in Europe pay to have their wind energy exported. Every grid has its own unique characteristics.

I would also have to argue that most people have a second car that is only used for short trips, and the need for this car is easily met by today’s battery technology (LiFePO4 for example), even if mated with the conventional and very heavy pressed steel cars prevalent on the road today (150km range is typical of what is coming down the pipeline from Mitsubishi and Nissan). A car that is 1/2 the weight (or less) made from composites (similar to the Aptera) would have much longer range or use many fewer batteries (and cost less). This scenario is far better than the current paradigm where a second SUV or Truck carries one person or a short trip to work or on an errand. However, I understand that this goes entirely against the TX ethos. I grew up there. Maybe an electric truck with a detachable aerodynamic tonneau cover would be a better match, especially with the huge torque available for towing an electric boat to the lake. Of course it would have your dream batteries (as would the boat). Perhaps the boys as EESTOR down in Cedar Park will hook us up before year’s end (as promised, again).

As a second argument, I would say that the pickup of electric cars is going to be gradual, and that the grid COULD (if the political will is there) easily keep up, especially since the initial quantities of EVs will only help with load levelling. Maybe you have some insight into this based on your past experience. If a political commitment were made to meet the slowly increasing demand with smart charging, V2G, renewable energy and nuclear (using recycled fuel rods), our world would become increasingly cleaner. Thoughts?

a2b

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6838] Over the weekend I was thinking that a nuclear powered car is inherently an electric car [/QUOTE]Well I don’t think we will ever see that happen as that would be a real problem spilling nuclear material in car wrecks. A reactor does not generate electricity directly, it is just a heat source like coal, natural gas etc to heat water, to turn a turbine, that turns a generator. You can do that in large boats and submarines but not cars, truck, and planes.

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6838]If there isn’t a downside, you are basically saying that all of our politicians are staring the answer to energy independence and long term national security in the face, and then looking the other way. [/QUOTE]

That is pretty much the jest of it. But not all areas of government are turning a blind eye. For example I just finished a rather large preliminary design project that involves the DOE, DOD, and TVA. My firm did the design on coal handling facility for a nuclear power plant. Now you may be wondering WTF a coal plant is doing at a nuclear power plant. Well there is also a refinery and pipeline at the facility. Well the answer is simple TVA will generate electricity with the nuclear power plant and sell the electricity to it various cooperatives in the region for public use. Department of defense and DOE will use the excess heat from the reactor to turn the coal into synthetic liquid fuel used to run the military. The pipeline is used to ship the refined fuel out for distribution

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6838] I would also have to argue that most people have a second car that is only used for short trips, and the need for this car is easily met by today’s battery technology (LiFePO4 for example), even if mated with the conventional and very heavy pressed steel cars prevalent on the road today (150km range is typical of what is coming down the pipeline from Mitsubishi and Nissan). A car that is 1/2 the weight (or less) made from composites (similar to the Aptera) would have much longer range or use many fewer batteries (and cost less).[/QUOTE]

You are running into physics here, and those laws cannot be broken. The most advanced EV is the Telsa and it weighs approx 2900 pounds I believe. So here is the challenge a small car like the Telsa gets about 200 watt-hour per mile (200 wh/mile) @ 60 MPH flat level paved surface. That is really good with a fuel cost of 2 to 4 cents per mile assuming a electric rate of 10 to 20 cents per Kwh.

LiFe4Po energy density is about 100 watt-hours per Kilogram (100 wh/kg). So to go 1 mile you need 2 Kg of battery weight or 4.49 pounds per mile. So it becomes very clear weight becomes a huge barrier with respect to range. The more weight you add requires more power to move the mass. Ok the Telsa is a very small vehicle with a range of about 200 miles. Pretty good but the cost are very high and out of reach for the masses. Battery weight alone is right at 1000 pounds with a capacity of 40 Kwh, and a cost of $35,000 USD just for the battery.

If you have a larger vehicle (heavier), means a much higher energy usage and therefore much larger battery capacity. The energy density is just not there yet. At best you can get is 200 wh/kg with cobalt, but cobalt cannot handle the discharge rates needed, not is 200 wh/kg enough energy density for any mid size vehicle. I think in ten years or so we will see a lithium product that will satisfy the needs, but at what price point?

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6838]Of course it would have your dream batteries (as would the boat). Perhaps the boys as EESTOR down in Cedar Park will hook us up before year’s end (as promised, again).[/QUOTE]

Don’t hold your breath waiting on EESTOR. I have been following them for 5 years and very skeptical along with every other expert in the field. Capacitor exprt John Collins of NASA visited the facility on July 2nd and stated he doubts EESTOR claim and noted the dielectric material claims are false. Basically what Dr Collins is saying the dielectric material EESTOR is using is not capable of withstanding the pressure of 100 KV nor would it be safe to use in public. At this point in time I think EESTOR is complete VAPORWARE.

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6838]As a second argument, I would say that the pickup of electric cars is going to be gradual, and that the grid COULD (if the political will is there) easily keep up, especially since the initial quantities of EVs will only help with load levelling. Maybe you have some insight into this based on your past experience. If a political commitment were made to meet the slowly increasing demand with smart charging, V2G, renewable energy and nuclear (using recycled fuel rods), our world would become increasingly cleaner. Thoughts? [/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with you here. All the technology is here today except battery tech. I am confident that will be solved. For example electric motors is about as far advanced as it can go. A 3-phase electric has an efficiency of around 95 to 98 %, Not much room for improvement. Electronic controls are in place and have about 80 to 90% efficiency. Some room for improvement but still very good to go right now.

As my user name suggest, SunKing, I design a lot of off-grid solar PV systems for telephone companies on their remote cell tower sites, and a few grid tied systems for companies like Walmart making PR statements. RE I am not sold on except for situations where grid power is not available. There is one thing most folks do not know about RE. For every watt of RE installed you must install a conventional watt to back it up at a moments notice. This means you pay twice, and that is a heck of a burden on the public, and will be the killing point IMHO. To see the future of ideas like Cap-N-Tax plans all one has to do is look at places like Germany and California where they already have such policy. No power plants are being built in those places in favor of RE sources. They have the highest tax rates and energy prices in the world and do not produce enough power to support themselves so they have to import power. Companies and tax dollars are leaving in masses to other places where money, jobs, and industry are welcomed.

China, India, and Mexico will not sign on to Cap-N-Trade like policies that limit CO2 emmisions and will use cheap power sources. Companies will continue to migrate to those places.

The USA has an ace up its sleeve but refuses to use it. Nuclear energy. We have enough fuel domestically to last anywhere from 1 million to 4 billion years depending on whose numbers you use. Uranium is cheap at around 2-cents per Kwh compared to 5 cents for coal, and 7 cents for natural gas. With new reactor designs they are passively safe as opposed to actively safe of the older designs. In order for any country to survive it must have a growing manufacture and industrial economies with abundant, reliable, affordable energy to compete in a global market. Otherwise it will collapse, history proves this and will be repeated if ignored.

Sunking,

When I said that a nuclear car is an electric car, I was not implying that you put the reactor in the car! I meant that nuclear energy is most often converted to electricity, so an electric car is an efficient match to nuclear generated electricity for places without good Renewable energy resources.

What are your thoughts on tidal energy? It is very predictable, largely untapped, and a lot of promising technologies are on the near horizon, like this one (silent, invisible, predictable, renewable energy - tidal technology - openhydro). It seem ideal for areas with suitable tidal resources, which is clearly not all costal areas.

I have my reservations about EESTOR as well. An interview with Dick Weir recently leaked to the internet makes me think he may well know what he is doing, but capacitors are not my area of specialty. Why don’t you have a listen, and tell me what you think:
http://www.4all.com/uploads/DW_Confcall_jun2009.mp3

Overall, you make a good point that the electric car must be considered in the bigger picture of the macro grid issues. I doubt I’ll ever solve these issues, but I’m glad people like you are working to do so. But back to the original post about cars…
Ignoring the Tesla (since it is so expensive), let’s look at the Aptera, which uses Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, and is very light, affordable, and has a 100 mile range. This meets the needs for a second car for nearly everyone. We are currently testing a battery that is 5.6kg, .576kWh, and costs less than $500/kWh, off the shelf from China. For a car like the Aptera, this means that a 13kWh battery pack weighs 300lbs (135kg) and costs $7000, as compared to the 35K you quote. I think we are getting to the point where an affordable second car can be electric and have enough range for commuting and errands. My original post was asking what else you, or others, would want in a second car (or truck) that is electric. I’d like an Aptera that isn’t so goofy looking, a bit more sporty on the performance side, and that has the other features originally mentioned in my first post. Have you said what you would want yet in an electric car (or truck)? I may have missed it in all the grid talk. If not, I am curious. Do tell.

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6846]
What are your thoughts on tidal energy? [/QUOTE]
Really do not have an opinion one way or another as I do not know much about it. Had a look at your link and there is not really any kind of info I would need to know to have an informed opinion. For me I would want to know the watt/dollar installed cost, daily output vs size, and maintenance cost. I suspect being in salt water maintenance would be an issue.

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6846] I have my reservations about EESTOR as well. An interview with Dick Weir recently leaked to the internet makes me think he may well know what he is doing, but capacitors are not my area of specialty.[/QUOTE]

Super capacitors have a place in EV technology particularly in the area of regenerative braking as they can adsorb (buffer) the huge surge produced by regenerative braking (batteries cannot handle it without damage) and then slowly release the energy back into the batteries and/or motor.

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6846]We are currently testing a battery that is 5.6kg, .576kWh, and costs less than $500/kWh, off the shelf from China. For a car like the Aptera, this means that a 13kWh battery pack weighs 300lbs (135kg) and costs $7000 [/QUOTE]

So what kind of range does the Aptera claim? Right off the top of my head using 200 wh/mile I come up with around 65 miles assuming you could actually go 100% DOD without damaging the battery (not realistic with LiFe4Po chemistry, 70% DOD is the max recommendation)

[QUOTE=a2b.sustainably;6846] I think we are getting to the point where an affordable second car can be electric and have enough range for commuting and errands. My original post was asking what else you, or others, would want in a second car (or truck) that is electric. I’d like an Aptera that isn’t so goofy looking, a bit more sporty on the performance side, and that has the other features originally mentioned in my first post. Have you said what you would want yet in an electric car (or truck)? I may have missed it in all the grid talk. If not, I am curious. Do tell. [/QUOTE]

I agree we are close, all technology is in place, except the battery tech is just not there yet. So you ask what I would want in a commuter car that would make it marketable? OK here are some of my thoughts:
[ul]
[li]Minimum real 100 mile range with the accessories running at night, and a passenger. I know this one is hard but necessary in the large city like LA and others where the commute can be a long way. Otherwise you will have a niche market. Got to have it for mass market appeal.[/li][li]Minimum 2 seats and trunk or hatch[/li][li]Heating and AC. If going to be used as a commuter it is important to arrive at work not in need of a shower or with frost bite. That will require at least and additional 1500 to 2500 watt load on the battery[/li][li]Most of the Bells and Whistles of any other vehicle. Granted some things like power windows and locks are not needed, and maybe brakes and steering if the vehicle is light enough.[/li][li]Performance comparable to say a Honda Civic with decent acceleration and highway cruise speeds. NEV performance will not cut it.[/li][li]Doesn’t look like a milk carton with wheels. :D[/li][li]Multiple charge options like 120 VAC 20 amp for overnight charging , and 240 VAC 30 or 50 amp for 2 hour charging. (Problem is very few battery chemistry can handle a 2 hour charge rate) Possibly an optional two-way RE port to allow charging from 48 to 500 VDC source, and reverse to supply power to external loads like emergency power to your home.[/li][li]Battery life of 10 years, 3000 cycle life with only 20% or less capacity loss in that time frame.[/li][li] Price point in the $25K range. :usa::rolleyes:[/li][li] Made in the US of A[/li][/ul]

As you can see from my list of demands, it goes back to the battery to pull it off. Sorry to keep going back to the battery, but it is the hurdle to over come.

Imagine the untold riches a man, woman, or company that came out with a battery with the following specs. They could buy the USA, and solve almost all energy hurtles except generation, not too mention put a whole country to work.
[ul]
[li]300 wh/kg[/li][li]3000 charge/discharge cycles, 10 years, 100% DOD.[/li][li]Internal resistance of no more than 10 milli-ohms after 10 years and 3000 cycles.[/li][li]10C charge/discharge rate minimum.[/li][li]$100/Kwh capacity cost[/li]
With this kind of battery you can easily get a mid size 4 passenger vehicle with 300 mile range, all the Bells and Whistles of an ICE vehicle, 10 minute recharge time or less form 100% DOD, performance to burn the tires off below 100 MPH, and cruise at Germany autobahn speeds in comfort. All that at a entry price point of $30K USD. Tell me that product would not sell like snow cones in He!! for a dime.

[/ul]

I believe Aptera claims a 70-120 mile range depending on driving habits, but I doubt this is at night in freezing rain (lights, heater, wipers all on). It does meet all of your other requirements I think. If the range was a little better, and the acceleration a little better, there you go.

I believe that the ultimate battery you described is exactly what EESTOR claims they have. Guess we’ll all find out later this year, or early next year. Wait, they’ve said that before. Ok, [U]maybe[/U] we’ll eventually find out.

Until that time, I’m wondering if there would be an advantage to a car with modular battery packs so that I only had to cart around what I needed. 1 pack for the commute, two packs for errands, and three packs for a commute with errands to follow. When the packs are sitting at home, they could soak up the electrons from my wind turbine or solar panel, or charge on off peak electricity at cut rates. Don’t try to use up my charge cycles on load levelling though! V2G has a down side…