Trans 2 / Gem

Hi folks, I just stumbled on this site and wanted to say hello. I own an older Trans 2 that I believe was made here in MO (Columbia). I don’t have the original title (1996 is on her body work build sheet) but that’s not so important to me as I plan for it to be used only on the golf course and perhaps an occasional parade here in my home town. I have some useful spare parts that came with the vehicle that may help another person in his or her project and I am also interested in locating a few bits to complete mine. I don’t see a “for sale” or “wanted” forum here. Could someone with more experience here kindly point me in the right direction so that I don’t waste valuable forum space or pester people with non pertinent questions ?
Thanks in advance,

Chris.

I have never actualy seen one of these. To confirm your model year, the tenth digit of the serial number should be a letter T. A vast majority of the parts will interchange with, or can be upgraded to, 1998 and later GEM parts. Your’s should be a 48 volt system and have ten millimeter wheel studs. Ebay is a good place to sell GEM parts. Some of these parts will sell for very high prices. There is some after market support in addition to the GEM factory. If you let us know what you need, we can point you in the right direction. Be as specific as you wish. Can you post a few pictures?

Daniel

She’s in bits at the moment Daniel so pictures wouldn’t help much right now but here’s a link to a video of the Trans 2 when it was first launched. My VIN is; 96-1U-X-000296. Maybe the ID system was modified when the company changed hands ?
I apologise in advance if links aren’t allowed without permission but it’s nothing naughty and is actually quite informative regarding the company history.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZn607gInCc]Trans2 electric car (cinepak) - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy :slight_smile:
Chris.

Chris… thanks for posting the video really interesting their is a manual for an E580 in a pdf format posted in an NEV group in yahoo… here is the link… not sure that it can be accessed without being a member of the group which is an open group

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YDwFT1VDvz7BIChwvUv26njw2RkhpijMNyQ34SllFOj_vbPTRMfoL8VAWPyQai7POOmp6GweGLMjKx6FQ-3FsOrYzJYRFJN-YmFD-w/GEM%20manuals/Obsolete%20Owners%20Manual%20E580

the group url is…

NEVs : Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs)

Bob

Cheers for the links Bob, the first one was a lost 401 file but your second link sheds some useful information :slight_smile:
I should probably explain what I am chasing at this point. I got this project in the summer of last year and quite frankly was looking for a promotional / advertising vehicle for my business here in MO. My Son and I (he’s a High School Freshman) were looking towards building a unique cart for the above selfish reasons when one day he came home and wanted to discuss Gas Hybrids as a potential project for upcoming course work. This set me to thinking about the possibility of changing my original idea of pulling the electric motor from the cart and instead, retaining it with the addition of a gas powered motor that would double as both a primary and secondary source of power to regenerate and thus give a double option. To that end, we are in the process of linking the gas engine (fitted in the empty rear and driving through a Club car rear transaxle) to the electrical FWD system that came with the Trans 2. So far we have created a little hybrid which recharges the batteries via the Club Car Starter generator and thus ( in theory ) have a machine capable of both gas and electric motion. Early days yet but thus far it’s looking good. I have an electro magnetic clutch in the works that will disengage the oem front drive to reduce frictional losses and a system that sends any over charge to the batteries via the starter generator system to top up as required. I’m not particularly math oriented but with both our heads together we have arrived at a theoretical range of 50 miles / gallon on the gas engine which we figure will provide sufficient charge for another 25 miles through the electric system with a variance of + - 10%. Batteries are hideously expensive, factor in the sheer weight and exponential drag/mass they impose on the cart we figure this is a fair trade off. I’d be interested to the hear the thoughts of others who have traveled this path.
Chris & Nicholas.
In advance

Chris… your project is a real undertaking… I’ve seen short and long bed GEMs with generators to recharge the batteries… my ‘big boy’ car is a Prius… I acutally gave some thought to making it into a plug in before I found my GEM… there is a shop in Denver doing that work… hope you keep us up dated

Bob

Hey Chris, can you a a picture of the stuff under the dash?
I have one and i wondering if its the right controller.

Do you still have the old GEM 48 volt cart I have a question? Dave

[QUOTE=stinger5;10015]Hi folks, I just stumbled on this site and wanted to say hello. I own an older Trans 2 that I believe was made here in MO (Columbia). I don’t have the original title (1996 is on her body work build sheet) but that’s not so important to me as I plan for it to be used only on the golf course and perhaps an occasional parade here in my home town. I have some useful spare parts that came with the vehicle that may help another person in his or her project and I am also interested in locating a few bits to complete mine. I don’t see a “for sale” or “wanted” forum here. Could someone with more experience here kindly point me in the right direction so that I don’t waste valuable forum space or pester people with non pertinent questions ?
Thanks in advance,

Chris.[/QUOTE]
Can you tell me the battery wiring for the front 2 batterys I mixed them up. Dave

Re: 2000 Trans2 Power Issue
Hi I need trans2 brake cylinder mine is 1996. Not sure is 1999 would work. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Do you need the “master” cylinder, or the “slave” cylinder? Never had a master cylinder fail yet. NEV Accessories has best price on wheel cylinders. Everything prior to 2005 should be the same, with the exeption of the 10 mm wheel studs.

Daniel

[quote=GEMmechanic;16567]Do you need the “master” cylinder, or the “slave” cylinder? Never had a master cylinder fail yet. NEV Accessories has best price on wheel cylinders. Everything prior to 2005 should be the same, with the exeption of the 10 mm wheel studs.

Daniel[/quote]

It is a front wheel cylinder. I am not sure how to add a pic but there is one like it on ebay.

Gem Car Front Wheel Cylinder

Susan call NEV Accessories NEV ACCESSORIES 4147 W. Venus Way
Chandler, AZ 85226-3717… talk to Roger or Evan both are very knowledgable about GEM cars… their prices are best on early GEM parts… what you see on eBay are probably theirs

Bob

duh… 480-753-0684

Bob

Thanks Bob I did call them yesterday and they weren’t sure if they would fit, they said they had heard maybe they would but couldn’t guarantee it. I feel like I just bought the money pit, since I can not find any service manuals or parts to get this gem/trans 2 to work properly. Wonder if there is a trans 2 graveyard I could sift through.lol

wait… try Gem Car Parts Direct 256 Highway 17 North Palatka, FL 32177 888-677-4961 Ask for Lee in the Gem Car Parts Department… Lee is my ‘goto’ guy when I hit a wall… he can work thru sobbing and cussing… use my name for more sympathy :slight_smile:

Bob

[quote=eS GEM Colo;16572]wait… try Gem Car Parts Direct 256 Highway 17 North Palatka, FL 32177 888-677-4961 Ask for Lee in the Gem Car Parts Department… Lee is my ‘goto’ guy when I hit a wall… he can work thru sobbing and cussing… use my name for more sympathy :slight_smile:

Bob[/quote]

Ha thanks Bob, ill call in the morning

NEV Accessories is often the best price. This is possibly because they are the importer and supplier of numerous GEM parts. The factory buys from them.

Daniel

Susan any luck or are you the customer with Lee right now?

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the contact with lee, he sent over a great manual. We had already ordered part for brakes and did get them working, but now if you can believe this the direction contactor is broken. Any idea if there is a suitable substitute for curtis dc88-271e 24volt? This surely is a money pit. I did find a similar name with DC88-317T B2DC11 24V DC but not sure if compatible.