Starting lithium upgrade

King,

Sounds interesting. What did your final configuration look like? Was it multiple packs and where did you fit the batteries? You must have had the Leaf cells repackaged to get to something near 72V. What charger did you end up using?

Al

I have had a few people ask for a lithium conversion kit or to purchase a how to manual with parts list.

I donā€™t have the time to put kits together and support the installs . but I well put together a parts list and help anyone on here that wants to do it. give me a few days to put it together . I well call my lithium supplier and ask him if he has any modules available .

1 Like

That would be very helpful thank you in advance

Yesā€¦ Thank you !!! here in Ft Myers.

okay , iā€™m rethinking my previous post (this is what I get for drinking too much wine on a Friday night) besides putting together the info on how to , iā€™m thinking of making a few kits up. I realized some people are busy or just not comfortable putting something like this together .

iā€™ll start sourcing leaf cells and see what Is available. I donā€™t like the early cells or ones from hot climates so well see . what ever I settle on well be put on a computerized test machine for a capacity test . itā€™s important that they are a matched set or they well come out of sync .

the kits well have the packs assembled and wired . an upgraded lithium deltaq charger (exchange required). a digital individual cell monitor , brackets and instructions . should be a drop in setup that can be installed in half a day . this setup works great with the 2007 dash power meter , so no need for an add on gauge .

iā€™m going to try and get them all together for 1800. well see how it goes .

so if your interested let me know . I can be directly emailed at wmgceo@gmail.com

1 Like

I would take a kit right now for that price. Please PM me so we can discuss details.
I would not need a charger.

Thank You
Grant

kit comes complete with stickers! eww ahh

1 Like

Im also interested my gels are down to 12 miles

Rodney

First one to market a fair priced kit will do well.

Will it compete with Polaris >$10k? :smiley:

I believe the mainline sellers are afraid of liability unless itā€™s foolproof.

Definitely interested.

How about one or two of these?
Any one thought of ā€œreserveā€ instead of parallel.
Small but I only make short trips.

Iā€™m leaning toward these guysā€¦ havenā€™t talked to them since last Januaryā€¦ with battery prices droppingā€¦ they may have come downā€¦ I put new GELs in my car last month so Iā€™m not in the market for a couple of yearsā€¦

72V, 10a charger/BMS, 100ah cells $4,450
72V, 20a charger/BMS, 100ah cells $5,150

Best regards,

Tsipi

ā€¦
Tsipi Landen
Strategic Communications
Lithium Boost Technologies Inc.
San Diego, CA
tsipi.landen@lithiumboost.com
408-314-8157
lithium Batteries Solutions for LEVā€™s

Li-72/100
ā€‹
22 Lithium 100ah battery cells
1 Battery Management System (BMS)
22 Lithium chargers in a charger module.
1 Lithium gauges
Wiring/accessories
Technical support and documentation
4 year Warranty
System weight: is 155 lbs
Batteries
This product utilized best-in-class CALB CA series 100AH LiFePo4 cells. Each unit requires 15 (48V) and 22 (72V) cells, each with a 100 Amp-Hour rating. The Lithium-Ion cells are the same safe type used in most new full size electric vehicles. The cells are configured and installed to minimize space requirements in the vehicle. Cells are charged to approximately 3.65 volts when full, and in use drops down into the 3.4 to 3.3 volt range until completely discharged at about 2.95 volts.

Charger
For optimum performance it is important that the cells are kept charge balanced with one another. To accomplish this quickly and efficiently, the charging function consists of 15 (48V) and 22 (72) individual chargers functioning in concert, all of which are mounted together in a charger module. This arrangement insures each cell receives a full charge as indicated by its individual charge indicator light turning from red to green. Each individual charger delivers 15-17 amps during most of the charge cycle, and tapers off to a trickle charge near the end of charge. The 15A charger module accepts AC power in the range of 100-240 Volts, 50-60 Hz. Charge time for fully discharged (80% DOD) cells is approximately 6-7 hours.

Battery Management System (BMS)
The function of the BMS is to enable vehicle operation when all the cell voltages are in the acceptable range (>=2.95 volts). Conversely it will disable it when any cell voltage remains too low for an extended period of time. Low voltage excursions for short periods are common when starting from a stop and on steep grades, especially when cell energy is low. These are caused by internal cell resistances under load and are tolerated by the BMS. Our proprietary technology is able to differentiate between a normal work load low voltage variation state and a complete discharge of the system below 2.95 volts. The system (BMS) will switch to a discharge mode when determining a discharge state.
The BMS also features a ā€œlimp homeā€ mode actuated by a push button switch. This can be invoked if the vehicle is shut down because the cell voltages are too low. It allows a one-time additional three minutes of operation to move the vehicle to a better location. The limp home function is re-enabled when the cells are recharged.
The BMS monitors cell voltages through wires connected to them. A complete set of wiring is provided with the product, along with wiring diagrams and installation instructions. A customized gauging system for Lithium technology is provided.

Lithium Battery Solutions for all LEVā€™s

Iā€™ve been dealing with them also.
Canā€™t get past the price for a hobby.

Money, money, money. My opinion only. If it cost more (by a lot), than gels then itā€™s a no. If it isnā€™t basically a drop in unit itā€™s a no. If it changes the general usage of the car like the dash board then itā€™s a no for me. Again my minimal skills require the put it in and not worry about it thing. Iā€™m just saying. Barry from Cali.

[quote=Inwo;27630]How about one or two of these?
Any one thought of ā€œreserveā€ instead of parallel.
Small but I only make short trips.[/quote]

what do you mean by reserve ?

you can use volt cells but on 72v gem you need 20 cells so you would just have to bypass 4 of the 24 cells . you could wire the 4 unused cells in series and get a 15.5v charger an use them to power a stand alone stereo ?

if your cart was limited to 25mph you could probably get an 18 mile range .

Use two of them with a switch rather than parallel connection.

ok. ordered 10 cells today to start making another kit . also ordered the cell logger , wire crimps, etc. hopefully well have everything by end of week and be able to test and assemble it. well post pictures of it as I go.

should be able to ship this out next week sometime . price well be 1700. plus shipping . I donā€™t have much shipping experience so I donā€™t know costs . well send it anyway you like. Iā€™m in 34102 zip code. if your in florida and want to pick it up in naples, no problem .

this doesnā€™t have a exchange charger with it. since I just send the deltaqā€™s to travis for conversion and they comeback ready to drop in there is no reason the pay for the additional shipping to go thru me . he turns them around pretty quick (does this as a side hobby). he doesnā€™t charge for them , but excepts beer money for his time . I gave $50 to cover return shipping and beer money .

for those of you not using deltaq call me and we can discuss options .

I know Iā€™m going to get very busy in the holidays and probably wont have much time to put these together so iā€™ll try to get some out before this happens .

mike 239 784 5690

Mike or someone can you show a photo of what these look like in the carā€¦ are they in some kind of ā€˜boxā€™ā€¦ Iā€™m not visual when it comes to replacement that isnā€™t same to sameā€¦

Bob

bob,

page 2 post #16 , last picture is of it mounted under the rear seat . it well be exactly like that .

[quote=kinghappy;27646]what do you mean by reserve ?

you can use volt cells but on 72v gem you need 20 cells so you would just have to bypass 4 of the 24 cells . you could wire the 4 unused cells in series and get a 15.5v charger an use them to power a stand alone stereo ?

if your cart was limited to 25mph you could probably get an 18 mile range .[/quote]

Someone on here did a conversion with more cells/ higher voltage.

Iā€™ll look. I believe the 72v controllers can also do 80v.