Starting lithium upgrade

ordered cells from hybrid auto center in vegas . there is also a guy in ny on ebay selling them . the guy’s in vegas have a big website and what looks like a nice shop .the updated lithium deltaq is suppose to get here today , looking forward to installing it , tierd of being the bms when charging . did some more testing today . ran the pack down until the turtle came on . the gem went into protection mode around 60v this would be 10v ea for a lead pack . but for this lithium pack with 20 cells it was 3.0v ea which is perfect . the cells can technically go down to a minimum of 2.5v so 3v is a conservative shut off protection number . I well normally only use them down to 3.2v or so .

What is their website?

hybridautocenter.com

I just bought a 2002 GEM E4 that needs batteries…and who knows what else once I get into it… but the price was right…

After reading your post, i am going to seriously look into converting to Lithium.

Can you post a parts list of what you used and who you got it from?

Did the battery supplier modify your charger? If not how can I get this done??

Do you use the Curtis/GE controller? I wonder how this would work wtih the 9.5 motor?? Do you even need a 9.5 with the weight loss?? Would the most effecient setup be with the 7??

Fortunately in Texas we can travel on roads up to 45 MPH at speeds up to 35, so I want to be able to cruise at 35…

This is going to be a hoot, as I used to build custom Club Cars and with 48V built some of them that would run just under 40 MPH… Using an upgraded controller and Bad Boy High Torque Motors

I raced for 30+ years and speed does not bother me, butlet me tell you a Club Car DS with a 6" lift and offroad tires at 40 will get your attention… I think that my fingerprints are still on that carts wheel…:lol:

Thanks for the idea… :smiley:

Thirdcoast

1 Like

I’m on the road for 2 months but well give you what I can . bought the cells from a company in vegas called hybridautocenter.com . I used 10 leaf modules(20 cells) but well probably add 1 more cell when I get back . my cart is a 2007 so I use a different charger then you . had my deltaq converted by a guy in Portland . I can get you his contact if you are going to upgrade to a deltaq . heard the earlier chargers can be upgraded by the manufacture .

these cells stay in very close balance so I’m not using a bms at this time . the t4 controller shuts off at 60v , that comes out to 3.0v per cell which is perfect , so I don’t have to worry about draining them to far . the charger is set to charge them to 4.12v . they can take up to 4.2v but if you undercharge them they well last for over 10 years (est.).

as for the motor I’m using the stock 5hp , I reprogrammed the controller myself . with the taller tires on there (24.2" diameter) regulated top speed to 34mph, basically i set the parameters to that of a 6 passenger cart. had a ride 4 fun 7.5 on my other gem but after learning how to reprogram the controller i don’t see the need for one anymore . your cart well be 350lbs lighter and accelerate super fast , i mean sports car fast.

i also used 2 have a 2002 e4 . sold it because the wife found the steering to hard . i would think taking out all that weight especially the 150lbs over the front tires would help a lot. let me know what other info you need and i well try to help.

EZ Steer solves the hard steering problem on pre 2005 carts.

Well, I sold my 1976 IH Scout that I spent 3 years doing a off frame resto on last week and was wondering what my next vehicle adventure would be as I promised myself “No More Old Trucks” getting too old and lazy…

Kinghappy, you solved this dilemma for me…since I used to customize gold carts, I am very happy to go back in this direction… much easier to work on than these old rusty trucks…

I will take delivery of my 02 e4 GEM next week and will start disassemble of it immediately… I am fairly anal about this stuff, so will take it all apart to see how it all works… I am sure it is the same as a Club Car, just different layout…

I am definately going to convert it to Lithium and leave the controller & motor stock for the time being… I will probably have the controller reprogrammed later… if it is a Curtis/GE Controller, I have a curtis programmer in my tool box… it may work on the GEM…

Thanks for all your input…and yes when you get time, send me the info on the charger guy in Portland. I really like the description of how you had your charger set up…

OHB, thanks for the steering advice…

Thanks again,

Thirdcoast :smiley:

Your 02 has a GE T2 controller. Probably the best, most flexible and easiest controller to program. It is a 350 amp unit and will handle 7HP. Only down side is it takes a dedicated programmer. Marlon at MZ MOTORSPORT will rent you one and give you ton’s of help programming to your requirements. Don’t go over 14" on wheels. Brakes are iffy on these at best. Big wheels make it harder to stop. I have parts ordered for an inexpensive up grade and will post results when I get it put together.

good point , I forgot about the fact the 2002 have drum brakes , not good . I remember that was the other reason we bought a newer one. the disk brakes are fine with the bigger wheels but the drums get hard to stop. ohb that’s great you are working on that upgrade , it is sorely needed. keep up the good work.

I was thinking the same thing… the brakes are probably as poor as golf carts and do not stop well.

I was going to start digging into some of my old hotrod info on aftermarket brakes and see what I could find that would be adaptable or maybe convert to disc brakes…

OHB, I will be following your brake info closely…

Thanks,

Thirdcoast

hi King… which battery did you buy… here is the page Lithium Batteries and Packs

Bob

Honda brake conversion turned out well. Rear brakes off 96 Civic $50 - Machining - $50 - new shoes $25 - nuts and tool I didn’t have $14 Total $139

They are starting to bed in and are already WAY better than stock. If any body has any interest I will make up a DIY article.

[quote=eS GEM Colo;25498]hi King… which battery did you buy… here is the page Lithium Batteries and Packs

Bob[/quote]

I was told they were the 60ah version . but when I tested them they were about 65ah . I wouldn’t be too concerned about which version or if they are new or used . he tests all his used and well give you the capacity test info.
p.s. I way over charged them once to 4.53v per cell . they are rated to 4.2v and the leaf wont charge them past 4.1v . even after the severe overcharge they didn’t lose any capacity . tough cells!

Old Houseboater I’d like to hear more… two years of stopping the 9.6 motor and I’m about to need brakes…

Bob

King… thought the golf cart package looked like a deal

Bob

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;25499]Honda brake conversion turned out well. Rear brakes off 96 Civic $50 - Machining - $50 - new shoes $25 - nuts and tool I didn’t have $14 Total $139

They are starting to bed in and are already WAY better than stock. If any body has any interest I will make up a DIY article.[/quote]

I am very interested in the brake swap FAQ and looking forward to reading it. Hopefully you snapped a few pics along the way.

I bought the disc brake kit from NEV Accessories but it was way more than what you have invested. I’d be interested in seeing what you’ve done.

Al

How did it finish? How does it run? How is the charge capacity for mileage? How does remove the additional weight change the driving characteristics? I already have problems hooking up pulling away from my boat dock in the grass from excessive tire spin. Seems like lighter may be a slight PITA…

All in, what was the total cost of the project (battery conversion portion only)?

so here is my summary to date . I’m very glad that I did this. I would upgrade any cart I own to lithium , I don’t see a downside . the battery cells cost me about $1500 with shipping . the charger reprogram was $50. that’s it ! its cheaper then replacing a gel battery pack. so cost is no longer a negative . longevity , these cells are used in the Nissan leaf , so based on there testing a warranties they should last between 8 -10 years . they well probably die from old age before they wear out from use .

the cart itself handles better , accelerates much faster , is easy to steer , and stops easier because of the large weight reduction and remember it still has the stock 5hp motor in it . as far as range goes you have a useable 23 mile range . now the first thing some people have said is " stock they well do 30 miles" well I never got mine stock to do 30 miles . also if you bump the speed up (this one is set to 33) your range drops, add in the fact you shouldn’t discharge a lead acid battery below 50% and your real world range is under 15 miles . I know some people well drive their carts farther and discharge the batteries past 50% but you land up changing your batteries every 3-4 years depending on use .

lithium doesn’t degrade nearly as much with deep discharge . just think of your cell phone , you discharge it way down daily and they still go for years. I’m currently not charging the pack to full charge , if I changed the setting on the charger and full charged them the range would be about 30 miles useable @ 33mph. Also lithium doesn’t voltage sag much . so when u come to a hill the speed hardly drops , again with a stock motor ( if you take in account not having to buy an aftermarket motor, this really becomes a cheap upgrade).

what else… unlike all l.a. batteries , they don’t sulphate if left under charged. so I don’t plug it in every time I use it . you just let the charge drop and then charge it when it finally gets low . this would be a nice benefit for people who use their cart seasonally . charge it before you leave , turn off master switch , unplug it and don’t worry about it .

because of the weight reduction it did ride a little rougher , so I dropped the tire pressure a few pounds to make the ride softer.

so for less than the price of new gel batteries and a weekend of time you could have it too. let me know if I can help .

p.s. I’m in naples fl, anyone is welcome to come see it if they like .

I just, just replaced all my batteries. I wish you had done this back in January. It is definitely the direction I will go when it is time to replace again. I appreciate all the information and research you have done. I may hit you up again soon to see how they are holding on and if you are having any issues. thanks…