Saturn From SC2 to a EV 120 Volts DC

I have to find my video recorder and I promise I’ll take a video soon!!! I think it will be in the car so you can see the gauges and speedo as I drive and maybe some nice sceenery too!!! I don’t know how much video utube will take but I plan to run until my batteries are low so it will be about a half hour to hour video, but we will see.:eek:

yay! i cant wait to see vid of that! there aren’t enough electric vehicle vids on youtube :smiley: lol

Here is a site worth checking out for tax credits on electric vehicles

If only Canada was as advanced as that. I went on the Government’s website and this is what I found out about incentives (with a little added information by yours truly):

The only province in which you can LEGALLY drive an NEV is in British Columbia which is coincidentally, the only province with a tax incentive for EV kits (7%). British Columbia is also home of the future Hydrogen highway project for which the government has murdered 200 million dollars on sobs (not that the oil companies can’t afford building their own hydrogen fueling stations… everyone knows how poor they are). Also, in the city of St-Jerôme, Québec, home of the Zenn car plant, you can get free parking if you drive a hybrid or electric car, I didn’t even know St-Jerôme had park meters. Canada could take America’s example.

:eek: :eek: I heard about a guy that was pulled over for using a alternative fuel and not paying the road tax. I am checking the source. I heard it was a big fat ticket!!! I had a cop following me in a2 a couple of days ago and he looked like he was going to pull me over (I was going 5 over) butr he was on the radio and everything and he decided to let me go. THANK GOD LOL LOL LOL:D :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I have 364 miles on my car now. I absikutly love it!!! I still have to keep a gas engine on the road but for the most part I have the electric car to do the brunt of the work. GET yours going soon at the end of 2007 the federal goverment will shut the door on incentives!!! I just snuck under the door of oppertunity. I love my car and the fact I can drive by the gas stations and say up your arse. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

[QUOTE=new dawn;815]I heard about a guy that was pulled over for using a alternative fuel and not paying the road tax.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read about that one too, let us know if it’s true. Although, he had a greasecar and was using cooking oil and they got him for a fuel tax. When you drive electric there is no fuel to tax! :smiley:

so now we know the range, what about performance? Acceleration top speed etc.

:cool: Hi you guys, I have been oh so busy with all the progects of a retired man. LOL LOL LOL… I got a new set of tires and today I took the car to rhe Forde dealer to get it aligned, yes the Ford dealer. My cuz works there and he does the best work in the business.!!! I consulted him many times during this progect and have copleate faith in his knowledge. ALL the tires were out of allignment!!! But he got things back in order, the car rolls great now, the toe camber and other things were wring but he worked his majic and WOW did it ever make a difference!!! If any of you guys are around the Ann Arbor area there is a car show near the U of M hospital on Fuller road in the parking lot below the hospital and you can see the car there, it starts at 12 PM on Sunday the 14th. I only have 450 miles on my car so far so the batteries are not borken in yet.:cool:

The acceleratation is comperable to a gas car and the speed is good also but takes it’s toll on the battery pack. For instance… the wife and I were out for a drive and went several places, on the way home I took the freeway and in a area where there is a major intersection with another freeway the car started to slow:eek: . I had to nurse it up a hill and off the next off ramp which was our exit. I pulled into a resturant parking lot and let the batteries recoup for about 5 minutes. Then I pulled onto US 12 and made it over US 23 and went 1/2 mile before I pulled into Colemans and asked to let it be parked there until later. We walked home about a mile. Later we went back and the batteries were ok to make it home.:smiley:

[QUOTE=new dawn;902]The acceleratation is comperable to a gas car and the speed is good also but takes it’s toll on the battery pack. For instance… the wife and I were out for a drive and went several places, on the way home I took the freeway and in a area where there is a major intersection with another freeway the car started to slow:eek: . I had to nurse it up a hill and off the next off ramp which was our exit. I pulled into a resturant parking lot and let the batteries recoup for about 5 minutes. Then I pulled onto US 12 and made it over US 23 and went 1/2 mile before I pulled into Colemans and asked to let it be parked there until later. We walked home about a mile. Later we went back and the batteries were ok to make it home.:D[/QUOTE]

nice, you need a solar panel integrated into the roof, that way when you are sitting somewhere it should help the batteries a bit no? or would that be a night mare wiring? lol

[QUOTE=FEUS;908]nice, you need a solar panel integrated into the roof, that way when you are sitting somewhere it should help the batteries a bit no? or would that be a night mare wiring? lol[/QUOTE]

Its not the wiring that would be hard. The amount of power that you would get from a solar panel sized to fit a car would be a trickle charge at best. You might fully charge the pack in a month… not to mention the $$

[QUOTE=Lectrol;915]Its not the wiring that would be hard. The amount of power that you would get from a solar panel sized to fit a car would be a trickle charge at best. You might fully charge the pack in a month… not to mention the $$[/QUOTE]

it would help if you ran out of power to trickle charge the batteries when in the middle of no where… it isn’t like you can just wip out a battery and then plug it in and keep going…

What about the cost of some of those major components?

I really want to conver a car too but I am a little worried about the cost of the kit conversion (I’ve seen kits around $8,000 - excluding batteries…)

Thanks for your time…

This is a note I just sent to another enthusist, my motor is the 9 inch series wound fb4000a and yes I am running a 144 volt system. I think it may be ineffecient because I have to use a transformer to jack the voltage up. I am considering splitting the battery pack up to two 72 volt packs and see how that works and eliminate the transformer. cruising speeds depends on how much amperage you want to use. I can go up to 125mph but haven’t taken it any faster than 75 on the freeway. I start out in second gear and then change to third at 45 mph. at times I draw over 400amps mainly when I accelerate. The car will peel out in first gear but it is direct drive and very hard on the transmission. even with all the weight I can lay some rubber. LOL at 45 in second gear I draw about 125 amps, I’ll pay more attention the next time I take it for a spin. I have been remodeling my house lately and work on it form the time I get up till the time I go to bed. This winter me and a guy in Chicago are going to collaberate on a charging system for the car that doesn’t use electricity.

Hi I spent about 7500 dollars on my car, most of the components were used. Sorry that I haven’t answered earlier but I have been very busy. I used the fb4001a motor and trojan batteries with a curtis controller and a pb6 speed control. Albright contactors and 2/0 welding wire. I run at 144 volts on the battery pack and have a dc to dc converter for the other 12 volt battery. You have to consider safety and the brakes need a vaccum source, I also put in a safety cutoff switch to kill the power to the board in case of a accident. There also is a 400 amp fuse to the secondary contactors. the curtis controller is the 123c The first thing you have to consider once you settle on what car you are going to convert is where do the batteries go? Mach up cardboard boxes the size of the batteries that you are going to use to help with the placement of them. That was my biggest hurdle I don’t think three dimensionally. The hood of the car curves. the sides come in ect ect ect… Let me know if you need ideas I am full of them now I know the process. I got some key components from ev of america, and got to know Bob Batsun over our many detailed conversatations about the car. http://evamerica.com/ here is the link to get there.

Sorry about the video I haven’t forgot but I cannot find the camera, once I get done with this remodel I will be able to find things easier and then I’ll work on the video, it is coming!!!:smiley:

New Dawn

I guess I missed something on the voltage thing. You say you have to use a transformer to increase your voltage. If you split your 144v (12X12) battery pack into two 72V (2(6X12)), you will drop your voltage even further. I played around with the EV calculators a little bit and it looks like it will cost you range rather than increase the range.

I know an ultra capacitor pack would help with the drain on the high amp draw situations (takeoff). I think it would also help extend the range in those situations where you have to wait for the battery recover from over draw. The situation where you pulled over and waited a while before you could go on, would be an example of this. Unfortunately the ultra capacitor pack that I have seen would put you back in the lithium battery pack price range.

You are still fighting the good fight for the rest of us.

Thanks
Lazlow

It is getting cooler here in Michigan and I have to turn my attention to my heater. I must get on it, I’ll let you know how it affects the performance of the car.

are you just installing an EV heater core in your old HVAC system? Does your HVAC system use vacuum or electronic servos?

Hey New Dawn, How are things lately?

I just read through your whole story and it’s a great read. THANKS! I have a few questions for you:

How many miles are you able to get now on a single, full charge?

Second part of the same question, what depth of discharge are you calling “empty”? And is this determined by voltage reading?

Any other changes to the car lately?

Mac

Here is a note with data I sent to Bob Batsun at EVAmerica@aol.com

Hi Bob, Here is the data that you asked for today. I had the wife pick me up and we went to lunch while the car recharged. I think there are at least three bad batteries, maybe as many as six. Please you tell me. The temps are in farenhieght and the voltage was taken as soon as I parked the car. I also checked the electrolight in the cells. It ranged from 1/4 charge to 3/4 charge.

#1 Neg to primary contactors # 12 to pos secondary contactors

Low Temp    High Temp     Voltage           Electrolight

#1 45 71 5.5 1 cell 1/4 5 cells 1/2
#2 61 83 4.8 1 cell 3/4 5 cells 1/2
#3 32 40 12.8 6 cells 1/4
#4 30 40 12.13 2 cells 1/4 4 cells 3/4
#5 41 62 9.92 1 cell 1/4 5 cels 1/2
#6 41 48 12.16 6 cells 1/2
#7 35 41 12.06 6 cells 1/2
#8 32 33 12.07 6 cells 1/4
#9 41 44 11.46 6 cells 1/4
#10 40 45 11.7 6 cells 1/2