Saturn From SC2 to a EV 120 Volts DC

Congrats Bob. When do Laura and I get a ride?? Think it will make it down here?? It was fun watching your progress.

Spence

I had the pleasure of going to the secretary of state today and buying my license plates. I bought a vanity plate and it reads EVNOGAS. I love it!!! in about a week or two when it is made and delivered I’ll take a picture of it and post it. I changed the charging plug and was working on the battery charger today I also put in a 30 amp circut on the outside of my pole barn for charging the car today. I have to get under the car tomorrow and run the wires for the charger, as it is off the hoist now there is another car there. LOL
I’ll bring it down in August when we come to visit or you can come up sooner Spenceo, when we come down for Laura’s birthday. It just got too hot to work today so I came into the air conditioning and took a break.:cool:

[QUOTE=new dawn;355]I had the pleasure of going to the secretary of state today and buying my license plates. I bought a vanity plate and it reads EVNOGAS. I love it!!! in about a week or two when it is made and delivered I’ll take a picture of it and post it. I changed the charging plug and was working on the battery charger today I also put in a 30 amp circut on the outside of my pole barn for charging the car today. I have to get under the car tomorrow and run the wires for the charger, as it is off the hoist now there is another car there. LOL
I’ll bring it down in August when we come to visit or you can come up sooner Spenceo, when we come down for Laura’s birthday. It just got too hot to work today so I came into the air conditioning and took a break.:cool:[/QUOTE]

lol nice plate! cant wait to see and hear this thing going, nothing better sounding than an electric motor…

I like the plate, that will get people thinking. Cool Project!!!

I somehow blew up my battery charger when I plugged it in. I am going on vacation on tomorrow and it will have to wait until I get back in two weeks. I hooked everything up according to schematic but it got fried.:mad:

[QUOTE=new dawn;381]I somehow blew up my battery charger when I plugged it in. I am going on vacation on tomorrow and it will have to wait until I get back in two weeks. I hooked everything up according to schematic but it got fried.:mad:[/QUOTE]

that stinks! maybe a faulty connection?

Bob

Sorry to hear that. When I have a project that I cannot “see” the problem I have had the best luck with fresh eyes. Free beer and an interesting project can be a great motivator for recruiting fresh eyes.

Have a good trip.

Lazlow

[QUOTE=new dawn;381]I somehow blew up my battery charger when I plugged it in. I am going on vacation on tomorrow and it will have to wait until I get back in two weeks. I hooked everything up according to schematic but it got fried.:mad:[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry to hear of your untimely loss of your battery charger. I’m sure it was a good charger and will be dearly missed. Ok, now in all seriousness, do you have any ideas what might have caused it to malfunction? All in all, I do hope you enjoy your vacation and that the time might give you a fresh perspective once you get back.

Enjoy your vacation and hope to hear from you in two weeks.

The charger is shiped to be rebuilt. They will tell me what was the problem I hope. K & W is still in business and that is where it is going. I had hoped to run it in upper Michigan but by the time I get back it should be on my dorstep. Talk to ya in a couple of weeks. My niece who is 24 and single,l :slight_smile: said that this the first big snag I hit on, she said Rock On.:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I found out if you have a good battery charger you can charge the batteries one at a time, thus I am giving them a charge before I go on vacatation. It is a time consuming thing to do and you have to be careful not to overcharge them. None the less I have charged four batteries today and eight will be done tomorrow! LOL:) :slight_smile:

Incredible work. I’ve always had difficulty with handiwork so what you’re doing seems like magic :slight_smile:

I also hope to see some video footage of the car :slight_smile:

Keep us updated.

Here is the gauge pod before insatllatation and my license plate on the car. it will be another week before I get the charger back. The control board got fried somehow and took out the gfci breaker too.

wow, what size circuit are you using for it? I have some 220’s at home that i use for my compressor and a grinder i have, but that seems like it would be overkill for anything but recharging capacitors in a speedy manner…

I can charge as low as a 15 amp circut but the suggestion is to use a 30 amp 120 volt circut when I can the lower amperage makes the batteries charge slower is what I get. Mine is the bottom 144 volt schematic.

I got the gages installed and mostly wired today, the dash is all apart but will be back together again tomorrow. I rolled back the odometer to 100,000 miles so I know how many miles I travel in the car. I am working on giving the batteries a full charge one at a time it is very time consuming, it takes about 16 hours to get a full charge at 10 amps. I want to take it out for a spin this weekend. I have only three charged right now.

I got the gauges finished today and started on the heater, I removed the core and am ready to install the ceramic heater. I test wired it for the car and it worked!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Now all I have to do is fabricate the support so it will fit right. A tomorrow progect. LOL:)

Dawn

Anything critical on the heater remove/install? I have not done a heater core replacement in years and I still remember pulling my hair out.

I have picked up a couple of battery chargers for $10 at the pawn shops. They make great loaners. But if you had an extra one or two it would sure cut down on your recharge time (for now).

Thanks
Lazlow

Good idea, I’ll call a few in tha area.

http://www.beepscom.com/category_s/207.htm

Here is a site to post your EV progect too. Some other ideas on progect cars.

I used a 120 volt ceramic heater for my car I have a couple of ideas on it I might be able to use the controls for various tempatures and the fan I can use to ventilate the trunk when I charge the batteries. I will put a vent on the top of the trunk and force the air thru with the fan. I have a idea on how to do it, and make a Mr. Fusion container to cover it when not in use. LOL no telling on how far I’ll go on making it look like the car in Back To The Future. I might paint it silver if rustoleam has a silver color this winter. I have a idea on the time circuts and the flux capacitor.