Saturn From SC2 to a EV 120 Volts DC

You should be able to just run it through a standard fuel cell. Where are you getting the O2, H2?

I checked out some of the sites for HHO and this one seems to fit my needs, I think you will see why.

http://diyhydrogenhho.com/

I have over 1900 miles on my car now and tonight I got to 46 miles on a charge. The voltage was 140 when I parked it so I could have gone a little further than I did.:smiley:

The interview will air sometime this week, it is going to be at 5:45 by Lester Grahm in All Points Considered “the Envoirment Report” on 91.1 WUOM and other various stations nationwide.

[QUOTE=new dawn;4033]I have over 1900 miles on my car now and tonight I got to 46 miles on a charge. The voltage was 140 when I parked it so I could have gone a little further than I did.:D[/QUOTE]

Wow that is cool. Are you batteries still getting stronger after 1900 miles? The reason I am asking is that I have 400 miles on mine now and my mileage is increasing still but I am only getting around 30 miles at 65% DOD. I hope I can get 40 that would be awesome.

I will be watching for that interview. Keep up the good PR

I stopped in at A123 Systems and talked to Les Alexander about the batteries that they offer. they are currently into lithium ion and are working on packs for the military. They also offer a Lithium Ion battery pack for the Prius for around $10,000.00 The lead acid batteries I am using are usable but outdated in thier eyes.http://a123systems.com/#/home/hev
Here is the link to thier website, very impressive and professional, when approached by a colleage of Mr Alexander’s he refered to our talk or my car or both as slumming. I will say the inside of thier building needs lots of mantainence.

I put my car up on the hoist tonight and looked at the front end on it. I have had a dlicking sound and reduced performance on it lately and couldn’t figure what was going on. I checked the steering, ball jonts, cv shafts, bearings ect… I still couldn’t figure it out, so I took my see snake out and looked at the clutch. I had cut a hole in the bell housing for inspection. Origanally when I first built the car I just covered it with duct tape. But I have shown the car several times and used the see snake to show the clutchless system on my car. I knew the tolerence was tight but i noticed it in detail today. I checked it with feeler geuges and found it to be .008 very tight. With all the road dirt ect it had become too tight. So rather than tear it down right now I sprayed it with a can of penetrating oil and rotated it to clean the dirt from the adaptor plate that is bolted to the transmission and the motor and the clutch plate adaptor. You see when I bought the motor it already had the bushing on the shaft of the motor and I couldn’t get it to budge so I left it in the position and used it that way. This winter I have to pull the motor and free up the bushing and move it out further on the motor shaft. The penetrating oil worked like a charm I have the acceleratation back and I am sure I can get more miles out of it than before. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. I plugged it in tonight and thought it was charging after driving it for 10 miles, my thought was to take it out tonight and see how many miles I could get, but the gfci had tripped and I couldn’t get it to reset. High humidity here maybe that will trip the gfci?

:eek:I took the car out last night with the wife for a ride but it got worse so I tore it down today and my fears were confirmed. the bushing had slipprd twoard the motor and things were grinding, I guess the bushing hadn’t been drilled for the set screw and I missed it. You see the bushing was locked on the shaft as I bought it second hand. Well after yaking it apart “I had welded the battery boxes in a couple of undesireable spots Just like a automotive engeneer not thinking about service” LOL LOL LOL I was finally able to get the bushing loose and position it 1/4 inch from where it was. I drilled the shaft and coated every threaded bolt and set screw with blue locktite. At the moment the motor is back in the car bolted to the transmission. I still have to put the battery box back in, batteries and the control board. I am sure it will run allot better than it has for a while, which means more mileage!!!:D:cool::cool::cool:

:cool::cool::cool:I did 50.2 miles yesterday on one charge, it was mostly done at 45 to 55 mph and was about half stop and go in the city. the last 2 miles were at a max of 25 mph she was getting tired. I checked the voltage when I got done as quickly as I could and got a voltage of 139.9 This makes me very happy!!!:smiley:

Awesome!!!

At 5:45 on 91.7 during all things considered is the enviorment report with Lester Grahm or you can go to this link and hear it here anytime.
http://www.environmentreport.org/daily_env_report.php on Wednesday August the 6th there is a story about pollution and the effects on school children the report on the Saturn is just after that.:smiley:

:smiley: I just got in from a late night run, with the lights and radio on I clocked 53.3 miles tonight!!! With a final voltage at 139.9:cool: All the driving was in town stop and go 45 mph and lower. I found out at the end of the drive first gear is preferred for starting out from a dead stop!!! Lots of coasting down hill when possible but for the coasting there was just as much going up. :cool:

:D:D:D Three records in one day!!! :eek:In less than 24 hours I was able to drive 142.1 miles. Three runs the first was the 53.3 the best I done until I tweaked a couple of things. The second was 31.5 miles and the last one after tweaking the car was 57.3 miles and the batteries wern’t even fully charged when I left!!! I expect to get over 60 miles on one charge soon!!! The final battery voltage was 139.5 volts. I also have changed my driving stratagy and I have been able to use less amps and get more mileage. :rolleyes:Both me and my wife were extatic about our drive tonight ;)right from the start it was apparent we were in for extra miles. :cool: It only will get better now, I can’t wait to drive it on a full charge.

[QUOTE=new dawn;4617]:D:D:D Three records in one day!!! :eek:In less than 24 hours I was able to drive 142.1 miles. Three runs the first was the 53.3 the best I done until I tweaked a couple of things. The second was 31.5 miles and the last one after tweaking the car was 57.3 miles and the batteries wern’t even fully charged when I left!!! I expect to get over 60 miles on one charge soon!!! The final battery voltage was 139.5 volts. I also have changed my driving stratagy and I have been able to use less amps and get more mileage. :rolleyes:Both me and my wife were extatic about our drive tonight ;)right from the start it was apparent we were in for extra miles. :cool: It only will get better now, I can’t wait to drive it on a full charge.[/QUOTE]

wow thats awesome, I would love to see this! :smiley:

Bob and his EV Saturn were on NPR’s Environment Report with Lester Gram this morning… they were talking about all the excess capacity the grid has off peek hours.

wow this is nice reminds me of the saturn we converted to electric back in high school in 99 (we also converted a Toyota T-100)
Some pics of the Saturn (98 SL2)

some specs on the car:

*144v 1200A
*203 peak HP
*175 ft-lb’s of torque
*Kostov Series wound 10" motor
*12 12V Optima Yellow Top Batteries
*DC Power Systems 1200A Controller
*Weighs 2700 lbs

thats all i have saved on my computer I wish i could remember the range but that was 10 years ago (I will call my old auto-shop teacher and get some more specs and to see how it has faired over the last few years)

We did the T100 first so it was kinda our guinea pig as the Saturn performed considerably better than the truck:

*First four wheel drive built by students.
*WORLDS first automatic transmision in an electric vehicle.
*Weighs 5,000 pounds.
*16-6v T145 Trojan deep cycle batteries.
*1-12v battery for accessories (lights etc).
*DC Power Systems 600amp controller.
*Uses off-board 110V charger.
*Runs roughly 22 miles at a top speed of about 44-45mph.
*Advanced DC Series Wound 22hp,9in motor
*85 Horsepower
*100 Foot pounds of torque

I was testing out equipment for a buddy on my car and my controller took a crap. I sent it to flight control systems and they are going to send back out tomorrow to me. I hope to have it by Friday as I have a show to go to on Saturday. Oh well I get all the upgrades mine didn’t have that is a concellatation for me about this. Just a word of advice, don’t test stuff with your car. I haven’t had it on the road for about three weeks now.:eek:

Here is a link to the Illinois EAA in Fox Valley, You can see Joe Downings car there. http://www.fveaa.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

:cool:I got my controller back last Monday, put it back in my car and then went for a test drive. I got about 1/4 mile, so far so good as I thought when I stopped at the Red light. When I went to take off I lightly pushed on the go pedal it was in second gear. Tires squealing it shot out of the hole on what was supposed to be a normal take off then nothing!!!:confused::(:eek:I gave Flight Controlls a call and done some tests on the controller and a ra number later it went to UPS to go back to Flight Controlls. I hope it doesn’t take them another month to fix it this time and they get it right so I don’t have to send it in again.:mad: