Rubber rear seat socket, also used to keep rear doors closed

Has anyone run across these on the interweb? I have a 2002 with the rear seat rubber socket/cup crushed and I have two rear doors which won’t stay closed because of cracked rubber socket/cups.

Maybe they are also used on boats…(me thinking out loud).

Have any photos? Every gem I’ve owned has been a truck. So i dont know what the accessories for rear seats look like

I fixed my rear box on a 2002 with rubber cane tips from the hardware store. Really quieted down the rattling. I would look at a marine supply place for bumpers also.

I think I found them and it looks like they are used on RVs too!

and on ebay I found this one with a longer insert part but will go out and measure existing parts to see if they are the 2"h x 1.25"(diameter).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204168403346

Turns out that the door holder rubber sockets are ~1"h x 1.25"diameter and the seat holder rubber sockets are 1.5"h x 1.25"diameter. I’ve not found any yet at 1.5"h but have ordered the 1"h units from ebay.

I found the name Eberhard embossed on the hard plastic intert on the door and from another search found the vendor site but have yet to find the 1.5"h rubber piece. Door Holdbacks | Eberhard

Too easy. Must resist.

Swing and a miss on the ebay link. They were 1 3/8"h x 1 5/8"diameter. Doors need 1.125" h and about 1.25" diameter. Sent an email to sales@eberhard.com to try and locate the correct size for both the GEM rear doors and the GEM rear seat. The seat ones are ~2" high with same diameter.

Maybe just walk into a West Marine or RV World store and see if they have anything on the shelf?

Considering everything I’m finding online points to them being the same DH38 or DH39 design which have the same rubber component just a different length plastic insert part. Even the ones on the Eberhard site, 4 of them all point to the same 1.5" diameter rubber part. So the likelihood of the marine or RV store having the smaller part is slim.

I was not able to find anything like it at McMaster Carr but it might be called something else when not used as a door holder.

And I looked in 3 of my GEM service manuals and while the parts were pointed out, there were not part numbers.

Well, the manufacturer of the part, Eberhard, is telling me they only manufacture door holdbacks which are 1.5" in diameter. Part number 1-666-2 would probably still work for the doors on the 2008 but will not work for any of the rear seat holddowns.

There is a plastic cover I can open up to get the doors to hold a 1.5" diameter holdback but the seats have a thick metal bracket the holdback protrudes through.

Kind of puts you between a rock and an eberhard place.

1 Like

Indeed and so far both of my GEMs have had the rubber seat holdback smashed by people not pushing back on the seat to align things and then smashing the rubber to the point of being useless.
And I have had my rear seat end up on the back floor a couple of times when some jacka55 rolled through or just didn’t look and forced me to stomp on the brakes.

The wimpy front disc brakes on the 2008 probably can’t do that but the add-on discs on the 2002 work real well.

I found the ones for the doors( 1.25"diameter x 1.00"height) @$7.xx each:

They charge shipping and handling of $25+
These are used on some military units so there’s a DP products vendor who sells them on ebay for $10.xx each free shipping.

And I had the seat bumper measurements incorrect, they are 1.50"diameter x 1.30"height and those can be found all over the web since they are the same used on RV doors. So the 1-666-2 model is probably the one for the seats.

2 Likes

OMG, if only the Eberhard sales people had mentioned that the part number was stamped into the metal plate of the rubber socket…

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: