Registering my Gem in Maine

Hello fellow Gem owners, we live in Massachusetts but we use our Gem in Maine during the Summer months going to and from the beach. I registered and insured my Gem in Mass the last few years but I was told I could register it in Maine for way less. I’m looking for information on how to go about doing that because I was told it’s different from registering a regular car. Is there anyone on this site that can help me out with that please? Thanks in advance.

Every state has different rules, laws and restrictions. In ca I have no problems registering or insuring my e4.
I would suggest going to the Maine dept of motor vehicles (or whatever they call it there) and look up first NEVs ( neighborhood electric vehicles) which is what our gems are under federal law. Some states call them LSVs (low speed vehicles) which is actually wrong but tell that to the states. Might be able to get some info from an auto insurance company there as well. Try sticking near the coast or resort areas so the agent might have some experience with a gem. Good luck. I think a bit of research may answer your question. Being already registered in ma will help I’m sure.

Thank you for the advice.

When you say it will cost “less” are you including title change, personal property taxes, license cost, inspection cost and new insurance. Like the other post said check it out first.

I’m currently paying over $1300 per year just for insurance, $75 for a title and $35 for plates in Massachusetts. I had a conversation with a Gem owner last Summer from Mass that has a place in Maine like myself. He told me the whole tab for him was less than $200 to do the same thing in Maine. I’ll have to find him again I guess.

Yes BUT what is the liability limit on the insurance. These GEMs are treated just like a car in an accident. If the accident is your fault you will need the liability coverage at least as high as your other vehicles. It is good to have an umbrella policy to protect all of your recreational toys. One of my friends caused an accident and it cost him big dollars.

You’re absolutely right about liability. You need coverage in the event of an accident. Has to be researched beforehand.