Insurance for GEM

I recently bought a used GEM and am having difficulty with my insurance company. For example, they want my wife and I to take a motorcycle safety class. (Every motorcycle safety class that I have found requires you to ride a motorcycle). Specifically, what company do you recomend, and how does the underwriter handle, vehicle classification, purchase price, and annual milage? I need to drive the GEM on public roads. (speed limit less than 35 of course)

AIS (a subsidiary of Mercury) gave me a great deal!

American Family will insure GEMs, but they only do business in a couple states, not California.
Nationwide will not insure GEMs in CA
MetLife will not insure GEMs in CA
eSurance will not insure GEMs in CA
Progressive will not insure GEMs in CA
Geico will not insure GEMs in CA
Allstate will not insure GEMs in CA
AAA will not insure GEMs in CA

I had no problem with AAA

[QUOTE=L&L;9702]AIS (a subsidiary of Mercury) gave me a great deal!

American Family will insure GEMs, but they only do business in a couple states, not California.
Nationwide will not insure GEMs in CA
MetLife will not insure GEMs in CA
eSurance will not insure GEMs in CA
Progressive will not insure GEMs in CA
Geico will not insure GEMs in CA
Allstate will not insure GEMs in CA
AAA will not insure GEMs in CA[/QUOTE]

the motorcycle thing worrys me with that company… I’m in CO and have State Farm… my cost is $21 dollars a month for full coverage… I also have the rider that i don’t drive over the minimum mileage… it’s like 4000 miles… some how I don’t think I’ll ever drive that far… it is also shown as my second car for that discount…

Do you still have the name of the AAA associate, who sold you the GEM policy, their phone number and extension? I have AAA for my other cars and would like to bundle them together. Feel free to personal message me if you would rather do that than reply in the public forum.

[QUOTE=Oceansider;11078]I had no problem with AAA[/QUOTE]

Foremost Ins Co out of Michigan had great CA rates, and they have coverage in many other states.
Just ask for a licenced low-speed vehicle policy.
The GEM is now in HI so I had to go with Hartford, they’re OK, but much higher rate.

I live in florida I got insurance from AllSatate some of their office say no but some do.

[QUOTE=bko;11495]Foremost Ins Co out of Michigan had great CA rates, and they have coverage in many other states.[/QUOTE]+1 on Foremost Insurance. $92 a YEAR for liability and $2,500 worth of uninsured motorist coverage here in California. That’s only $7.67 a month. IIRC, with full coverage it would have been about $250 a year. They underwrite in 42 states.

My GEM was covered under Mercury, but they recently raised rates about 50% so I started shopping around and found Foremost.

do they do in florida is hard find any in Fl. Allsate but not all thier offices do finger that out

[QUOTE=REHalle123;11780]do they do in florida is hard find any in Fl. Allsate but not all thier offices do finger that out[/QUOTE]I don’t know. Check out the agent search and see. They cover 80% of the States, so you have a good chance they do.

PS: Foremost is a subsidiary of Farmers, so not a fly-by-night operation.

[QUOTE=bgeery;11781]I don’t know. Check out the agent search and see. They cover 80% of the States, so you have a good chance they do.

PS: Foremost is a subsidiary of Farmers, so not a fly-by-night operation.[/QUOTE]@REHalle123: Did you ever contact a Foremost agent in FL? According to the Agent Locator they seem to cover FL.

Progressive in Ohio…full coverage for $79/yr. including towing. I was pleasantly surprised.

[QUOTE=chuckkent;12300]Progressive in Ohio…full coverage for $79/yr. including towing. I was pleasantly surprised.[/QUOTE]Great deal for full coverage! :whoo: I’ll check them out this year when I’m up for renewal here in CA. Hopefully more companies start charging a reasonable fee. Some folks having to pay $1500+ a year for just liability is criminal! :jaw:
PS: You might want to ask them what they say your GEM is valued at.

Not sure if this will help you, as I am in Oklahoma but it might be useful to some readers…I have all my vehicle ins with Farm Bureau (they are in other states but I don’t know which for sure)…when I got my GEM last month I just called them up and asked them to add it to my policy, all I had to do was read off the VIN. 2 days later I got the verification card in the mail…nyet sweat. :slight_smile:

Foremost does in fl geico does not i have allstate but is $600 6 month and not got a bill for for next about 40 bucks more help

like karlschneider… when I was looking at buying my GEM I went to my State Farm agent with the VIN and she gave me a price for the coverage $21 a month here in Denver and had it in place when I bought the car… although the DMV wasn’t sure what the car was as they wanted to send it for a smog check but they saw it was insured

Bob

i missed tpyed Foremost does not in fl

iwill look at state farm but ??

Just a note to clarify, my insurance is Farm Bureau, I don’t think it is in every state, it is a completely different company from State Farm…no connection between them. :slight_smile:

fornemost i did they do not cover fl
state wanted more than allstate

Check out my post on insurance for GEM cars. You will find coverage there 100 %