Do you register and insure your GEM car?

The ONLY reason I got my GEM is because the Railroad Police have no sense of humor. I used to drive this customized golf cart to work and park it in the parking garage. I may have “pulled over” couple friends. After a couple months I was pulled into the office with the on site police dept. They said I couldn’t drive it because it was unsafe due to no seatbelts, wasn’t registered and I was impersonating a security guard. They were nice about it and thought it was funny but somebody complained.

A google search later I discovered GEM cars. Seat Belts, license plate. Bingo. They couldnt say jack. I looked at getting it registered and insured but it was surprisingly pricey. So I just left the 10 year old plate on it and my homeowners agent says its covered and the Ft Worth police have better things to do so they wave at me every time they see me on the road. I drive it all over… Work, Kroger, Home Depot…I do miss my golf cart though. It was a blast. I even built a flux capacitor for it.

Im thinking about decking out my GEM in “security livery” also
IMG_2502
IMG_2053
IMG_2228

Fully registered and insured here in Fort Lauderdale, FL. It’s more or less treated the same as a regular car from that standpoint.

Registered w/ full insurance in CA.

Most difficult thing about the registration process was that “GEM” doesn’t appear on the manufacturers list and the vehicle type/name/model isn’t listed under Daimler-Chrysler either, so after going round and round with a rather argumentative supervisor who didn’t want to issue a registration because of this, the counter agent, who was super helpful and familiar with what an NEV is, simply listed it as an “automobile, type: other” and “electric”.

I register and Insure all my gems. It’s 220 a year for full coverage, with GICO here in California they sub the insurance out to Formost.

For me it’s cheep insurance. We don’t wanna be caught with our pants down if some one was to hit us or some one were to acidentky fall out ya never know.

Pluse here in Ca you can’t register a car u less you insure it.

I’m registered in CA also. My registration says “GLOBAL” for the manufacturer, probably because GEM is Global Electric Motorcars.

I went to Geico and could not get a quote since on line they don’t offer the make or model. Guessing you dealt with a live person.

Was yours registered from original sale date? I suspect part of the problem with my registration likely comes down to that this was a state (UC) vehicle w/ exempt plates, so it was only sort of in the system and the university’s transportation office printed a new title with what info they could gather.

I had to and it took forever and a million hoops since LSVs arent commonplace in Ohio but I got it done.

We called Geico and I think they may have forwarded us to an insurance company called formost And yes we definitely spoke with a live person

I’m using Progressive and much like Grant I believe it’s farmed out to another insurer.

The messed up thing is my wife works for Root car insurance. I pay insurance to no less than 4 places right now for my weird needs.

I’m with StateFarm. They handled it all over the phone with no issues. I didn’t try to process it online as I was expecting it to be more difficult.

@JarJarJava I have no idea. It’s a 2002 and I only bought it 2 months ago. According to the guy I bought it from, I’m the third owner. Your theory sounds plausible!

G . I was hoping to find new insurance for my Gem . I’m paying 1200/yr (teenage driver) and would have loved to get it down to $200 . Formost says they specialize in NEV insurance , but don’t write in FL. :frowning_face: