Range Anxiety – Reality Or Perception?

While many point to “range anxiety” as the reason that the adoption of all-electric vehicles is not proceeding at the fast pace that was predicted, it may be a figment of American imaginations.

Using recent census data, information from the National Household Travel Survey of 2009 and other sources, two Columbia University researchers have found that while the average American says he or she requires a vehicle with a range of at least 272 miles before they would consider switching to an all-electric vehicle, the truth is that most trips cover considerably less miles than that.

In actuality, 10% of most car trips cover one mile or less, and 95% of all car trips average 30 miles or less! This is well within the range of virtually all-electric vehicles, including Low Speed Vehicles (LSVs) and Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs). As public charging stations become more common, there would seem to be no reason why an all-electric vehicle could not be used for the large majority of trips made by American drivers.

As researcher Rob van Haaren said, “’Range Anxiety’ is something that is overemphasized and it can be dealt with by simple planning.”

Sorry, but this is an oft quoted but relatively stupid statement by researcher Rob van Haaren.

95% means you WILL be stranded 5% of the time. Totally unacceptable.

Until EV’s can operate long distances without long recharge times (1/2 hour is still way too long) then range anxiety is a real and relevant concern.

Please note I’ve been driving electric for 10 years now. I take my range into consideration every time I elect to use the EV. I require a gas care for those 5% times. Since a gas car is an absolute requirement at least 5% of the time, why would a one-car family (or person) even consider an EV? Absolutely not a good fit for them.

[QUOTE=TJackrel;11970]While many point to “range anxiety” as the reason that the adoption of all-electric vehicles is not proceeding at the fast pace that was predicted, it may be a figment of American imaginations.

Using recent census data, information from the National Household Travel Survey of 2009 and other sources, two Columbia University researchers have found that while the average American says he or she requires a vehicle with a range of at least 272 miles before they would consider switching to an all-electric vehicle, the truth is that most trips cover considerably less miles than that.

In actuality, 10% of most car trips cover one mile or less, and 95% of all car trips average 30 miles or less! This is well within the range of virtually all-electric vehicles, including Low Speed Vehicles (LSVs) and Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs). As public charging stations become more common, there would seem to be no reason why an all-electric vehicle could not be used for the large majority of trips made by American drivers.

As researcher Rob van Haaren said, “’Range Anxiety’ is something that is overemphasized and it can be dealt with by simple planning.”[/QUOTE]

News flash… Americans are some of the most anxious folks on earth.

Thinking about the range restrictions of a vehicle is way above their abilities. Much easier to just fill-every week and pay the $4.00+ per gallon.

It will take at least $5 a gallon to make them even pay attention…