No v5 Accelerator pot

I’ve been trying to fix a 2007 GEM for a while now. Fixed the a lot of electrical wiring but having trouble with the Accelerator pedal.

I do not get a reading for any of the accelerator pins.
P7 - zero V regardless of pedal pushed down or not.
P8- nada
P9-Nothing

Resistance check
P7 to P8= 160 ohms (pedal up) and 260 ohms (pedal down) (no K ohms for this one)
P7-P9=3.5k ohms (pedal up) to 1.5k ohms (pedal down)
P8 to P9 = 3.5k ohms (pedal up) to 1.5k ohms (pedal down)

B+ to B- = 72V
P1 = 72V
P2= 72V

P3-responds to pedal being pressed (actives main contactor)

When I push the GEM the tach reads the speed. No error code just no go when pedal is pressed.

Any of you guys can help me out?

Check voltages,

8- common to meter
9- 5 volts from controller
7- varies with pedal position

Must be 5v on p9 in p3 gets 5v back from pot box.
Maybe no common from p8.

1 Like

Thank you. no 5V from P9. I believe that is my problem. What could cause the loss of 5 V?

5v from p9 is derived from 12v buss in controller.
Remove pin 9, or cut it. By removing you may see a problem.
I hate to see wires cut, but in this case, it’s the only way for you to check pin9 unloaded.
Also if it is bad 5v supply you might rig a fix without controller repair.
If 5v comes back on p9 with nothing connected, then wire is shorted on its way to throttle pot.
If no 5v something is bad internally between buss and p9.
12v is ok because you checked speed sensor.
I have to say you’ve a good handle on this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

First I want to say thank you to this forum and all who participate wth tons of useful information. I noticed that not many people post their final solutions and well I learned the value and wanted to play my part. . So I finally got my Gem to run!

Issue 1 e brake.
12v 4 pin Relay switch connected to the ebrake was bad.

Issue 2; error 21 accelerator pedal.
This one sucked. Replacing the pedal is too costly. So lucky for me the membrane potentiometer inside was ok except for at the starting resting position. (membrane breakthrough/resistance was way off) inserting a spacer between the arm and side housing allowed the reed to still move off the affected area of the membrane and still register “not activated” during key turn.

Issue 3. Error 21 again…
Pin7 was loose and not making contact to motor controller. Decided to check all connections. Including reseating pin 9. Viola 5V came back on.

Thanks Inwo for all your help. Oh and thanks to Deoxit. Stuff is wonderful.

1 Like