Newbie needs a little help with connecting a Delta q charger

Where do I ship my old unit to ?

Where do I ship my old unit to ?
Omni Electronics
Po Box 496
100 Falls st
Hokah, Mn. 55941

Shipped today. You should have it by July 5th

Do you want me to attempt repair or replace?

Try the repair first

What is the warranty on the repair and what is the warranty on a new unit?

None.
The new unit has factory warranty, but may be outdated. These are" new in box" old stock.

I can credit anything paid for repair on a new one.

Charger IS dead, as you assumed.
Normal parts that burn are ok. It will take a few days to dig deeper.
I can tell you that it will need to be disassembled completely. That Means a minimum $150 repair.
No charge if I donā€™t repair.
Dave

To be 100% honest with you Iā€™m really not sure what to do. I was considering the new charger until you said no warranty. I was also looking at a different one that costs a little more but has a 3 year warranty. Iā€™m a little concerned about repairing my old one because I keep wondering what made it fail to begin with. The previous owner said it wasnā€™t that old. I will let you know. Have a happy July 4th.

No problem whatever you decide. Nothing is burned, so I think itā€™s just a random failure.
Iā€™ll know more later.

Not to confuse the issue, but it seems repairable. Smps driver ic failed.
I only need to test output current.
Set to #14 now.
If you decide not to gamble the $150 repair, Iā€™m sure someone on here will take it.
It is a newer lithium programmable model.

If you can do it for $150.00 I will give it a try. Not sure what you mean by #14. If you get it working, Can you also check the algorithm? I donā€™t know what it was previously set at. I am using 100A/H Walmart marine batteries. I contacted Delta Q several weeks ago and they said to use algorithm #62 or #5. Thank you very much for your help.

These are the available profiles in Gem chargers.
It is set to 14.
I can change it if you want.

dq%20gem

Shipping back will be about $25

I connected to a 72v battery. It charges @ 13 amps. As it should.
I have no support from Delta-Q, all I do is replace the bad part.
Charger looks new and clean inside. One small chip failed, I donā€™t know if itā€™s a common problem, although Iā€™ve seen it before.
If by chance it is a common problem and fails again, the part is now in a socket, and can be replaced in 1/2 hour.
As I wonā€™t remember 2 years from now, :slight_smile: part is VIPER-20a 8p dip.
Knowing this may help someone else with repair of dead charger, but even knowing that, itā€™s a 2 hour job.
Iā€™m not that good. Worked at it on and off pretty much all day. Naps and all! :slight_smile:

Well I definitely donā€™t have gel batteries. 13 and 32 are the only ones that donā€™t say Gel. I donā€™t know what dv/dt is. Will 13 or 32 work with the wet batteries? Tell me what I owe you total and I will pay with PayPal. The car previously had Trojan 30xhs batteries. Maybe the wrong algorithm damaged the unit.

$175

Iā€™ll invite Rodney for picking a profile.

I think I use 13 for wet.

Might have damaged batteries but not charger.

I sent an email to delta q and they actually responded (on July 4th). They said that because this model charger is made specifically for the Gem, it cannot be programmed with any other algorithms. They said that #13 is probably my best choice out of what is there. Iā€™m thinking it might eventually fry my batteries because itā€™s designed for 130 A/H batteries and I only have 100 A/H batteries. It is what it is. I will give it a try and see what happens. I didnā€™t want to invest in expensive batteries because I had no idea if the car ran. Now I might regret my choice. Wow. This thing is a learning experience. Never thought it was this complicated.

Set charger to profile #13

David
Just received the charger back. Didnā€™t expect it on a Sunday.
Thank you for all of your help and guidance. Hopefully this is the end of my charging issues.
Paul

Put the Gem on charge for the first time since the repair. The Delta q brought the batteries from 85% to 100% in less than 2 hours. Seems to be working well. The LED on the dashboard flashed green for the entire time. Is it supposed to change to a steady green or a different color ?