Newbie needs a little help with connecting a Delta q charger

I read through this post and cant seem to find the answer to my question, so I will post it here. I have a 2008 GEM E6 with a Delta charger,(recently purchased the E6) and when I plug the charger in it seems to go through the cycle and start charging but the plug get really warm after just a short time being plugged in. Too warm for my comfort so I dont leave it plugged in. I have tried a couple of times plugging it in with the same results. Any suggestions on where to start?

The parts that get hot need to be replaced. Try a better/heavier cord first. Clean the male end on gem.
Resistance = heat.

Algorithm 32 is for 105ah wet cell batteries specifically for Deka DC31DT also rebranded as Duracell SLI31MDC, O’reily’s SuperStart 31DCM, and NAPA Batteries BAT 8231.

What will happen if I use #13. I don’t leave it plugged in. I charge for a few hours then unplug when the dashboard gauge reads 100%

Pretty much it will make your batteries produce more hydrogen gas which in turns means more watering of the batteries. Also watch out for the potential of boiling over the batteries if filled above manufacturer’s instructions.

Also the charger stops once it’s at 100% and if left plugged in it will go through another charge cycle every week for flooded batteries and two weeks for gel batteries, up to 20 times.

I am working on a friends 2004 E2 with a Zivan charger, it has a dial on the top that goes 0-9 and A-F, does anyone know what the proper setting is for it with wet batteries? It has the Duracell group 31S in it.

Thanks

I have a 2005 Gem e4, would anyone have a picture or a diagram of how the Delta Q charger is supposed to be wired. Thanks

Just installed with help from @inwo on a 2002.

Depending on exactly how your charger is set up, ours had a large green plug that went to controller and battery cable on fuse link. The deutcgh plug handles the interlock, the remote LED and the temperature sensor (jumped with lithium batteries).

!

Here are plugs on mine:

!

The 4 color plug isn’t used.

POS to fuse link post, Orange lead.

!

Here’s top of Controller and (old charger before replacing with QuikQ) and you see charger NEG to controller

!

Hope this helps

I figured I would give an update since I started this topic back in 2018. My Delta Q was stone dead so I decided to try a repair as a less expensive solution. The repaired Delta Q worked for a short time but started to show error codes shortly thereafter. In addition as a amateur the whole algorithm thing confused the hell out of me. I then decided to try the RFF charger. I know this charger can be purchased directly from the manufacturer at a lower cost but I decided to pay a little more through RFF just in case I needed some technical support. The install was fairly easy and it has worked flawlessly since day one. As a result I would highly recommend the RFF charger.

Hello,

My 2005 Gem e4 car with Delta Q doesn’t look like this. I literally just have the wires red green, white and black. Can anyone who has a 2005 or newer Gem car show me a picture of how the charger should be wired without the harnesses.

Thanks in advance!

Red to B+
Blk to B-
Wht to temperature sensor at battery,or 10k to B- (actual 11.5k @ 68F)
Green is interlock, not needed for charging, sends 72v to Gem allowing car to run

Inwo, thank you, Just to clarify, I need to get a 10k ohm resistor to the B- for the temperature sensor?

-Chris

That will work, or use a real sensor.
I will edit my last post, as a measurement at room temp of two sensors was 11.5k
10-12k should be fine.

All of my batteries are in the rear under the passenger seat so I am wondering, Can I connect the Red, white and black wires to the B+ and B- wires that go into to the 72 Volt starter solenoid or do I need to run wires directly to the batteries in the back rear?

You do not have to run all the way back to the batteries but you need to make sure you get on the correct side of the contactor. Neg to the neg of the controller and positive to the switch side of the main breaker.

1 Like

Does it connect to the rear of the main contactor? I see 72 +, 72 ground, and BATT labeled on the front of the main contactor where the switch is. Do I connect the charger black and white wires to the 72 ground connection on the front and the positive to the 72 plus on the front as well? Or do I connect them to the back? Looks like the wires from the batteries come in from the backside? Just want to be sure so I don’t fry my controller.

Normally I connect the white and black to the negative of the controller and Red to the main shutoff switch.

I’m sorry, which side of the main shut off? on the front where the switch is or the back ?