New Trojans, 10v on installation

Total Newbie here with a 2001 Gem. Just replaced bateries with Trojan 30 HXS.
Two issues: Batteries measure 10v each ( or just over 52v total) after instatllation. they are brand new, 2017 year of manufacture.
Questions:
Do I need to charge each of the batteries so that the on-board charger recognizes them? (nothing happens now)
Did I get a batch of bad batteries
Is there some sort of reset button I missed
Where else did I mes up?
Thanks everyone for the question of a naive new comer!!

10 volts is deader than dead, and not at all what I would expect, even if they were sitting on the shelf for 3-4 months. Did you get them from a reputable dealer? If so, I would be asking questions. The only time I have ever gotten a dead battery from Deka, it was a bad battery which they replaced under warranty.

Many thanks, Russ! I plan to do just that. Charged them individually and then the o-board charger finished the job. I appreciate yosponse.

As an owner of a 2001 e825 who has been through a set of the Trojans, and currently using Trojan SCS225’s my only advise is to be very careful and monitor your water levels, hot weather and charging uses the water up and you’ll have exposed plates faster than you can imagine. On the new set of batteries I installed a watering system and monthly top them off. In hindsight, wished I had found this website before I purchased the new cells since doing a conversion to Lithium is the real answer.

1 Like

Thank you! I am working with the battery supplier now to either get a new set or make the conversion. Happy motoring!

If not already done, consider a disc brake modification. Best thing I did so far. Stops on a dime.

They might just charge up but you have to do them individually. But, since they are new and expensive, I would take them back unless your dealer is far away.

Thanks, everyone. the batteries are at 100% charge and the Trojan Distribution center in Pensacola id backing the warranty so I’ll give them a try to see what sort of performance I get.