New Battery yellalab

I am interested in purchasing this battery, however my level of knowledge about this is less than stellar! Will it be a fairly straightforward installation?
Will my R4F motor and 20 Amp charger work with this configuration?
Will I need to have my controller reprogrammed?
Are there any other concerns that I’m not aware of that could potentially bite me in the ass?
I appreciate your guidance (and patience).

Your charger will work, but may not charge fully. It’s worth a try.
Battery just connects to B+ and B- wires.
It is helpful to learn about care and feeding of lithium. Down load the bms app to learn how it works.
Nothing is ever “put it in and forget it”. Not even lead batteries.

Should go out tomorrow.

Thank you sir!

Terry

···

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021, 6:17 PM Inwo via Electric Forum <electricforum@discoursemail.com> wrote:

| Inwo
July 21 |

• | - |

Should go out tomorrow.

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, yellalab.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Battery just arrived, thank you. Being a complete layman in this area, are there installation instructions you can send?

···

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021, 6:17 PM Inwo via Electric Forum <electricforum@discoursemail.com> wrote:

| Inwo
July 21 |

• | - |

Should go out tomorrow.

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, yellalab.

Every battery/car is a one off and a little different. You may need help if not comfortable with 72v wiring.
To start, find a place to put the battery @BigT just finish his and can give you some tips.
Iirc, he removed the rear spat and slid the battery in on a plywood base.
After battery is in place connect your original battery cables to the plus terminal of battery and the black (neg) wire of bms.
I can then give you instructions to jumpstart bms.

Just a basic question or two:

Coming off of my fuse block, does that cable go to the battery ground terminal?

And the cable marked “Pack +” goes to the positive battery terminal?

What does the BMS get hooked to?

···

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021, 1:24 PM Inwo via Electric Forum <electricforum@discoursemail.com> wrote:

| Inwo
July 25 |

• | - |

Every battery/car is a one off and a little different. You may need help if not comfortable with 72v wiring.
To start, find a place to put the battery @BigT just finish his and can give you some tips.
Iirc, he removed the rear spat and slid the battery in on a plywood base.
After battery is in place connect your original battery cables to the plus terminal of battery and the black (neg) wire of bms.
I can then give you instructions to jumpstart bms.

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, yellalab, BigT.

It might. If fuse is in B- cable. Fuse can be installed in either lead.
The B+ cable goes to battery B+ terminal.
B- cable from gem connects to bms black wire. I ship with an anderson disconnect and pigtail.
That’s it. Just two wires.

@BigT , didn’t you tell me that your fuse was B+? Or did you rewire it?
Either way is fine, but do not connect backwards.
Do wiring with main switch off.

I’m going to clean this thread and go public.

Hi this is Tony(Big T)

Did you get a charger also ?

The positive cable directly to plus side if battery.

I had a jumper from old batteries on the mounted. Two bolts with a jumper connection. I put the negative on one bolt and the cable with the anderson plug on the other. That will connect to you BMS.

I didn’t have to do anything to the new charger but plug in.

I see, you just used the fuse block to connect the neg gem cable to the anderson plug from bms.

Tony,
I have not gotten another charger yet, I currently have the R4F 20 Amp Charger. Would like some help installing this battery…the cable coming off the fuse block (highlighted in the attached image) connects to the negative terminal on the battery and the positive cable to the positive side of the battery?
Is a diagram possible that illustrates how to connect the BMS?
Sorry to be a PIA but this is new to me.

Terry

Call me 904-219-2701

You should have negative from the front connect to your jumper then the cable with the Anderson plug on the other nut to the BMS.
The positive goes to positive side of battery.

That’s how I did mine with no problems

1 Like