New batteries

I want to do this right…plus get the most out of my batteries… I have replaced my AGMs that have given me fits in my 05… I have gone back to the Deka GEL… I have had my car for a year and have always plugged the car in when I get home… my mechanic asked if the battery or chargerhad memory… I don’t know… memory to him is if you charge a battery only after a few miles the battery will only charge to that… he used his phone as an example… the other manchanic said his phone had a different kind of battery…

what is the right way?

Bob

None of the auto/marine/golf batteries have memories. Only nicads in electronics. I charge my batteries after each trip. When I pull my GEM in the garage it’s immediately plugged in. The shallower you use the battery the longer they will last. I think for deep cycle batteries I feel best with flooded cells. Maintenance free batteries are OK for cars and vehicles where they are only used for starting. On a ten mile trip my batteries the acid drops about a 1/4 of an inch but returns after charging. The Zivan and newer chargers do a great job of conserving water. I’ve only added water once this summer and I drive the car everyday. I just feel I have more control over the condition of the battery by being able to add water and check the SG when necessary.

If you have replaced AGM with GEL batteries, please be sure the setting on your charger has been changed accordingly.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;12658]If you have replaced AGM with GEL batteries, please be sure the setting on your charger has been changed accordingly.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Good point!

I was never able to change the charger to the AGM… that may have been the root of my AGM problem… it is set to charge the GELs… I went to a Plug in Day event today… a 16 mile round trip and I am happy to report… I had a great time talking about my GEM car and I still had 4 bars and lots of power in my car when I got home…

Bob