Long Term Storage

What is the best way to preserve Gel batteries during long term storage. I have the charger plugged in but can control the outlet to be on continuously or on any kind of schedule possible. Any idea what is optimal?

It is a 2005 e2 with gel cell batteries.

On every 8 hours every 2 weeks.

Perfect. Thanks much.

I did just that yesterday and I noticed it took over 7 hours to return to a nominal draw of 7 watts. Much longer than I expected. It stayed at about 210 watts for quite some time.

you should have a delta q charger , they are suppose to come on every 2 weeks and top off batteries.

I presume it is the Delta charger. So should I just leave it on all the time?

Depends on the year/model

look above the drivers tire towards the motor , do you see a yellow box hanging upside down ? if so you have a delta q charger . I was under the assumption that all deltaq’s restarted , but I’m not positive . you should give a call to the manufacture . if it does , just plug it in and all should be good .

the manual I saw states they restart if cell voltage drops below 2.1v or every 30 days . gels do last longer if they are held to at higher voltage. you could put on a timer to restart every week for 4-5 hours . would be a little better . especially in cold climates.

Ok. I am not on site so cannot look. It is a 2005 and yes has gel batteries. I do have it on a controlled circuit and can monitor the kw-hr that it accumulates to see. It normally is at 7 watts, probably due to the dash lights and the electric cord light.

hi Ronalds welcome… charge your car fully then remove the cover on your lower dash… the ignition key will open it… inside there is a switch… move it and that will kill the power used by the batteries… probably won’t have to recharge your car for 4 to 6 months

Bob

[quote=eS GEM Colo;29069]hi Ronalds welcome… charge your car fully then remove the cover on your lower dash… the ignition key will open it… inside there is a switch… move it and that will kill the power used by the batteries… probably won’t have to recharge your car for 4 to 6 months

Bob[/quote]

Not really a good idea w FLA batteries IMO which self discharge over time. Other technologies (LiFe) can be different. Can be a problem too if cart stored where batteries can freeze. Charging constantly keeps them warm enough to prevent this. I keep mine on trickle charge throughout winter and recycle my charger every two weeks and check fluid levels every month but I have old-school Trojan FLA batteries.

All batteries will self discharge at about 1% a day, slightly more if the switch is on, If you do not have an auto low voltage detect on your charger common practice is to cycle your charger every 2 weeks. for maximum battery life. If you shut the switch off the charger cant charge.

[quote=eS GEM Colo;29069]hi Ronalds welcome… charge your car fully then remove the cover on your lower dash… the ignition key will open it… inside there is a switch… move it and that will kill the power used by the batteries… probably won’t have to recharge your car for 4 to 6 months

Bob[/quote]