More speed please

Hi I have a 2006 E4 which I have totally renovated, I run 24" tires @ 40psi with a Ride for Fun 7.5 hp motor, new gel batteries, I can only run 32mph. Can anyone suggest what I can do to squeeze a few m’sph please

Does your speedometer read 1/2 speed?
You’re not hitting a limit? That’s all the power it has?
Adding another 12v will help.

How much more speed are you looking for.
What’s the Terrain like in your area do you have lots of hills or are you mostly in the flats.
The reason I ask is because you could put a higher gear ratio in there if you’re in the flats but it could hurt you if you’re in the hills

Hi Grant, thanks for responding, I live in Florida so flat as a pool table, where would I buy the higher gear and what ratio would it be?
Regards
Barry

Hi, thanks for responding, I have not re-calibrated the speedo so yes it reads 1/2 speed but I use a speedometer app which is very accurate. Where and how would I wire another battery?
Regards
Barry

Assuming you are stuck with the brand new gel batteries you mentioned in the first post, you can add a 7th gel battery w/ Rodney’s hack or, if Dave (@Inwo) is willing to build another one, you could go with an auxiliary LiFePo4 pack like I did. They both achieve the same end, the wiring is different though. I can hit 40-41 mph with a 4s pack in an '02 longback w/ 6 lead batteries for the main pack. You should have a T4 controller, which can handle more volts and higher amps than the T2 in mine, so you could probably get away with a 5s or maybe even a 6s (Dave or someone who knows more about that controller could help you there).

anyway, here are the two threads:

Rodney’s

Mine

The T4 can handle 100v.
I can sell a 4s 0r even 5s (16v) module.
$50 per cell. So $200 or $250 plus shipping. I’ll throw in balance boards.
$100 for a lithium charger programmed to 4s or 5s.
I don’t like suggesting adding a battery, as I sell them, not use them. Better to wait for an independent review.

I’ve had zero problems with the auxiliary 4s pack or the setup for the 8 months since I installed it. It’s been great. It’s been the best solution for me to being stuck with half a dozen boat anchors.

I ended up setting my max speed limiter at 35 because the cauck was just too unstable at 40. 99-04’s aren’t known for their suspension, couple that with sketchy brakes (now upgraded) and stock tires with tall sidewalls, and it was an accident waiting to happen.

1 Like

I’m nearly out of green cells until spring. I have one set of 5 x 5s and a few loose cells.
I also have 4 new, from my new 2018 E2, polaris 120ah AGMs.
Too heavy to be worth shipping. I’d be happy to get 1/2 retail $. Whatever that might be.

Where in Florida are you? With the 10.35 gears and lithium I can hit 40 MPH in my E6S w/ six adults in the car.

I’m on Anna Maria Island, how about you?

Fort Lauderdale. @LithiumGods is a bit closer to you down in Naples.

Give me a call and I will help you out .
239 784 5690 mike

I had my GE control reprogrammed by Ride-4-Fun. they can set to 42 mph. Call and they will give you the cost. Great folks to work with.

David, do you have any of these 4s packs? I just got a MM from you and shunt and want to add 7th battery. If I read this post correctly adding the 7th pack after the contactor the spoof pin is not needed? This is like my RC racing days all over again except they are ridable!

I just sent the last of them to @JarJarJava .
He may help you out. Also a 12v lead battery works.

Correct. I ran an 02 that way for about a year, at least 2k miles.

There is a thread on it here with the wiring and build. Connections will look different from 05 on due to the introduction of the PSDM boards, but principle will remain the same

Just saw your post Dave. Looks like we were posting at the same time.

@mikewired as soon as I get a chance to sort through and test the cells to see which work I can possibly do something. One person ahead of you currently for a booster pack.

@Inwo

I have a few used sets

1 Like