2009 E4 Increase max speed

I am new to the forum and a recent Gem car owner… I have been researching how to increase the speed some and find myself confused as to what is the right path…Tires, gearing, program controller, new motor, etc… I would like close to 40 mph. What I think I have figured out is change the gearing back to 10:1, unsure on tires, and programming the controller/MM to keep the speed accurate?

There is a ton of information out there - just looking for help on the best path .

Thank you in advance…

Update - a little more research and here is what I come up with.
10:1 gear change
7.5 hp motor
14" Wheels?

With the updated motor do I need to still send in the controller for programming - or are there settings available and I can program myself with the Sentry Software/Cable?

Can I fix the 1/2 speedo issue with the same software as above?

Am I better sending the controller in for programming?

Is the motor better purchased from DD or RD4?

I do not want to lose my bottom end too much.

Note - I am in a little bit of a hilly area.

I sell things so don’t take my advice to seriously.
Why do you have a 1/2 Speedo issue?
High voltage does more for performance than motor and controller. Imho
If you lose the lead, using stock programming, motor, and charger, will do more for less money.
Stock motor may grenade at 40mph and 12/1 gears. But maybe not.

I have been reading through your posts on less agressive modifications. Do you you think your mm device will increase my speed.on a stock car? Should I still change the gearing? Should I replace the motor? What would your solution be to achieve 40 on a stock E4?
•••

i have done a few of these . For sure you will need a lithium upgrade , this will be the biggest performance increase over all others . you will need a 22s -24s cell pack . i would immediately get a mm . in 3 minutes you will over ride your speed limiter . this will allow your cart to hit the highest speed it is capable of with you current batteries . then add lithium . this maybe all you need to achieve your results . one of my carts will do 40 with stock motor and programmer . If you live in a hilly area you dont want a 10:35 trans , stick with the 12.44 .

I will be getting batteries in today to make up some 22s modules.
22s is half way between stock voltage of 20s (84v) and 24s (89v).

With the MM how do I get my speedo recalibrated , buy the programmer?

How do I purchase the MM?

The MM is adjustable. It comes set read correctly when speedometer is changed to kph.
It can be changed up or down to compensate for tires or gears.
PayPal $125 with a note.

Do I have to change programming for KPH? Or how do I do?

Thanks for all of your help. I would be very interested in switching to lithium. Some of the ways people have done this seemed messy. If you have a tested solution and would allow me to increase range - I would be all about it…

1. Inwo sells a 3 plus 1 Magic Magnet that reads MPH with the controller set to Kilometers. Best performance magnet unit in the business!

2 . With a 10.35 gearbox and 21 inch diameter tires the T4 can be programmed to 40 MPH on a 2 passenger cart. This setup will live and give you good acceleration and braking.

3 . With a 12.44 gearbox and 24 inch diameter tires the T4 can be programmed to 40 MPH on a 2 passenger cart. This setup will live and give you good acceleration but braking will be less effective than the 21 inch diameter wheels.

Both the above setups stay close to the 6000 RPM area that performance motors are happy with. These setups are minimum cost and as bullet proof as you can get. Basically turn on the switch and go.

I buy O Rilley 31DCM batterys at $625 a set. These are private branded DEKA batteries which are excellent. They last at least 3 years before they are down to 14 miles range. I install them in all my rebuilds. I have purchased 48 of them so far in the last 5 years with no duds.

I believe in KISS so I leave the advanced technology to the Tech Adventurers among us. God bless them.

Rodney

Inwo is the guy for lithium info . Fyi the fastest i have seen on a 4 passenger cart with lead batteries is 36mph . This is on completely flat land , full charge , one person , 7hp motor . For higher speeds , more then one person and hills you are going to need higher pack voltage and capacity . you could get a motor big enough to make it work with lead but you range will be very short . Gwest on here changed his lithium for more range . was at 96v , dropped to 84v . his cart slowed down on the hills . lead batteries under light load are 75v . also the lithium will drop out 300+ pounds out of your cart , better for hill climb and better for stopping . Read gwests post on Chevy bolt upgrade , this should apply to you .

1 Like

So i need to purchase the programming software to change the controller to kph, correct?

Also - should I purchase a ride for fun 7.5 hp motor?

Figured out the kmh change…

Any thoughts on motor change or MM should do it?

You can change to kph without a programmer. You will need a Performance motor and reprogramming for anything over 30 MPH.

Rodney

Would you have a suggestion on where to get both? D&d or R4F?

I’m out of motors right now. Try Karabec Karts or Ebay. Ride For Fun has new ones,

In a message dated 6/26/2018 11:26:25 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

Good advice…

You can get 35-40 MPH with a stock 5HP motor if you go lithium at 24S (88.8V nominal, 100V max). I have an e4 that I can hit 40 on and still pull 25+ up all but the very steepest of hills with my car loaded with adult passengers. I would seriously consider the lithium before buying bigger motor. The stock motor has a lot more to give and the lithium solves real world problems for you.

1 Like

90% of reprogramming is fooling your controller so your gem can go faster . it doesn’t add more power . the mm does the same thing a lot easier . fyi , i believe almost all of the people on this forum that have high performance lithium carts run stock motors .

Also with your gear ratio running large diameter tires will be a nice addition , i run 24.3 " diameter tires .

1 Like