Magic Magnet

Oh, batteries are 2 year old AGM

3.5 hp stock.

Hmmm… Because of this- I suspect you probably will not go much faster. I would think about upgrading your motor first.

Try this-
Unplug your speed sensor (the 3 wire triangle Deutch connector coming out the end of your motor) and take your car for a hot lap around the block. Does your car feel faster? (Your speed display will not work). Double check with a GPS app previously loaded onto your phone.

Normally, the controller gets upset and throws a Code 81 if it loses the Tach Signal from the motor. I have noticed some of the old cars don’t really care. See if yours will run.

It may not go any faster, but if you have a slight hill in your area you may notice it doesn’t hold back like it used to.

Checked gps speed with and without speedometer plugged in. Absolutely no difference. I guess I’ll save the MM for when I upgrade the motor. Will do brakes and wheels first.
Found a used R4F 7.5hp motor. Can I do a controller reprogram or do I need to send it somewhere?

Also found the source of the deceleration noise and vibration-differential was 12oz low on gear lube. Topped it to overflow on fill plug with 89-90. What a difference!!!

It is not 100% necessary to reprogram your controller when doing a motor swap. A few tweaks can be usually be done to the controller to get a few more clicks out of the new motor.

R4F does offer the programming service if you buy one of their motors from them but you need to send your controller in for the tweaks.

You might be able to find the old software and programming cable required to do it yourself but there is a bit of a learning curve and time investment for something you will only be doing once.

Depending on your location there may be someone in your area that can do it for you.

Hi, I know I’m late to the GEM game but I picked up a fairly healthy 2001 e825. I was hoping there was still a way to get a magic magnet but haven’t found any online.

$135 PayPal with a note: