Magic Magnet

The only motor upgrade it shows is the 6.5kw.

That’s the good one if not too expensive. My 8kw is $500

Hi David, the MM increased the GPS speed to 27 MPH and the speedometer now stays steady at 25 MPH. So I got about 8 more MPH on the GPS and the speedometer doesn’t fluctuate anymore.

There are switches inside. Try turning all to on.
Speedometer may stay at 20, but gps may go up.

Where are the switches, inside the MM?

Yes, pop the cover off.

1. Turned all switches in the MM to on, GPS still shows 27 MPH but speedometer now shows 18.
  2. Tires are 12 inch.
  3. Don’t know about the batteries, bought it used from someone who didn’t know the age.
  4. See attached photos of motor and differential.

Ok, that’s what I wanted to know. 27 is fast as it will go.
Normal setting is 1 and 3 on.

Thanks for that information. I felt I might have been asking some of those questions prematurely before @inwo had you do the much simpler test. But now that’s done, yes. As Dave said, that’s all the speed you are going to get out of that vehicle with the stock configuration.

That’s the typical 5hp GE that started being used in 05 and the 0613-00643 differential is 12.44:1 (later vehicles w/ 12.44:1 had the 0613-00863 part number). 12" rims were standard with 21.5" tall tires.

2006e2 speed1

You can make it go faster with taller tires and more voltage, but you’re already 1k over the rated max RPM on that motor because of the 12:44 gears and probably getting pretty close to the point of just how much you can overspeed that motor.

That is fine, I’m satisfied with the MM, I was having trouble with intermittent speeds before and the MM cleared that up and gave me little more speed. Thanks for your information and help.

Glad everything worked out.

Looks like AssyRequired might have been on the right track about the actual source of the issue.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

@Jcbellis - Did you get around to popping off the flat disk sensor and do a visual check on the magnet?

Not necessary if you are happy and working, just for my curiosity.
You might also want to keep a spare magnet on the shelf in case it totally fails. The only thing I can figure out that would cause a magnet to crack is if the shaft got hot and expanded so much that the magnet couldn’t take it. Perhaps it was transferred from the bearing or high amps going through the comm?

Be aware that your speed governor may be set high now(depending on where you left the switches) or not on at all. Watch out for downhill runs as it is real easy to over speed your motor now.

I stayed away from touching the speed magnet, wasn’t comfortable with what I would find and what to do about it. I will check going downhill since I need to drive up and down hills. Lots of good info on this forum.

When I received the MM switch 3 was on and the others were off, with that configuration the governor kicks in at 27 MPH on the GPS going down a steep hill. When I set 1 and 3 on, the governor didn’t kick in until I was going over 30 (I was concerned that the motor might overheat at that speed). In both settings the max on flat ground stayed at 27. Is there any documentation on the switches or should I just set switch 3 on and be done with it?

Set it where speedometer is close. 3 sounds good. No difference in power or speed.

Dave,

Where can I purchase the MM Magnet?

Thanks,

$135 with a note.

1 Like

Interested in a magic magnet for my 2002 gem e2. What is the process?

See that link one box up from your post? Click on that. Then send $135 and enter your name and shipping address in the notes.

Some of the early cars will react better to the MM than others.
But it sometimes works best if you also have some of the other things tidied up with your car. There is a chance your car just will not go any faster.

• How old are your batteries?
  • What is your motor and how long has it been since it was serviced?
  • Make sure your brakes are not dragging and your wheels are properly inflated.
1 Like

3.5 hp stock. 4000 miles. Never serviced
No brake drag
Have deceleration noise I would like to fix also.